NikonsAndVStroms Photography Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by NikonsAndVStroms, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Manifold

Manifold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Tamron issue is not focus but exposure. I think the aperture may be jamming at times, as I get very overexposed images from time to time, way to the right on the histogram.
  2. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    If it's a Nikon here's a good list of possible physical issues:

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/BV_article?articleNo=000004831&configured=1&lang=en_GB

But this problem is easier to trouble shoot if it's involving the camera's metering system so I'd start there.

What metering mode are you using? And do you have any example photos that you could post?

Have you shot it manually with this lens VS another one at the same aperture/exposure settings to see if there's a difference?
  3. Manifold

Oddometer:
    Cheers, thats a useful guide. It only does it on the Tamron lens, not any of my other lenses but that's a good reference you posted.
  4. Manifold

Oddometer:
    One of my mates came back to me on FB about that Reikan software. He's used it with his D850 and a bunch of primes and the 14-24 and swears by it. It even maps focus sharpness for varying apertures for each lens. I think I'll give it go and will let you know how I get on with it.

I checked the aperture lever btw and that seems fine. Same with the mounting on both camera and lenses, although the F mount is pretty grimey. I'll give that an alcohol clean and all the contacts, see if that makes any difference. Somebody on DP suggested that it could well be a sticking aperture from lube thickening as I've used the lens in the desert a fair bit.
  5. CaliKarl

CaliKarl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a proper camera again after years of being without one. I tried to go back to the X100 lineup from Fujifilm, but decided to switch it out and get a camera with interchangeable lenses. I like prime lenses, so I’m starting with a 35mm f/2. I’ll post photos as they come.
    3B844CAA-F80F-48B5-9B3F-41C1A818F763.jpeg 25DD56C1-773B-4E24-82C3-39702C2E60A1.jpeg
    Ghoti, Icewalker, cjbiker and 2 others like this.
  6. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    I'm really impressed with the Adobe subject select. If you ever cut someone out of a photo especially when their hair is out you know it's a huge pain and getting that part right can be a bit of an art in itself.

This is literally just the subject select and a second or 2 of letting the computer think.

splatter_93_web.jpg

Here's the original photo. There is a decent separation between the background and subject but it's not a flat one either.

Maskweb-4.jpg

If you go back to the top image there are a few pixels off in the hair it's close enough to work for anything but a large print and even you'd probably need to know what to look for. And if you wanted to be perfect under a minute of time with the erase tool could get you pretty much there.
    Bodwick, UncaBuddha and ADVRKD like this.
  7. Manifold

Oddometer:
    She has a twinkle in her eye ;)
    Bodwick likes this.
  8. van the man

van the man Space Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Hi y'all! A quick question about old glass;
    When I put my old smc pentax 1 f4/300 with anasahi pentax 2x converter on my K20, and it asks me focal range, I still enter 300, correct?
    Love this thread, btw. Wish I could shoot more.
    Thanks
  9. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    That should be for the stabilization and since it can't read the lens I'd put on 600.

If it's not right you'll know since everything will be blurry.
  10. van the man

van the man Space Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Oh, okay thanks N&V!
  11. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Dad wanted headshots since he's job hunting. I don't really know how to do that, but I bought a cheap used flash, the Nissin i40, for my X-E3 and used my 60mm 2.4 Macro.

Actually went better than expected. I didn't have enough time to set up off-camera flash and bouncing thru a diffuser indoors worked ok. The real surprise was the outdoor shots using fill flash. Metering was really good just in standard TTL mode and that lens is so sharp even wide open that the images were quite good. I had to set a custom white balance and even with that, had to tweak white balance a little in post due to the changing light outdoors / different flash strength.

I have zero experience processing portraits so it was kind of a shit show, but since the most likely use is 300x300 as a profile pic, it should be more than adequate. :lol3

[​IMG]
  12. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    Definitely more than adequate compared to what's out there.

I just would watch the fill flash because at this strength it looks mostly like a flatter/harsh flash shot than just balancing the levels.

I usually don't use a fill unless it's 100% necessary and then either try to diffuse it as much as possible and/or go off camera. With modern sensors you have a lot of play in terms of bringing up the shadows even if they are moderately back lit.
  13. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's good feedback. Fedex dropped the flash off an hour before I had to leave, so I didn't get a chance to dig into settings.

I was trying to keep the ISO as low as possible. That's ISO200 1/90th with the lens wide open - very shady part of the yard at like 730pm. Only option for more natural light at that exposure would be to bump the ISO quite a bit.
  14. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    Your only real issue I'm terms of ISO for a online headshot would be dynamic range if there was a lot of back light. But with shade and a Fuji I would think up to 3200 should be fine, 1600 to be safe.
  15. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    I shot raw+jpg, I should grab one of the castoffs and play with the raw file. :thumb
    NikonsAndVStroms likes this.
  16. Manifold

Oddometer:
    For an online CV, that's more than adequate. It's more about the subject's presentation to the camera than the actual photo at those kind of sizes, and I'd say you got it there. Positive. smiling, only thing I would do is pull the creases out of the shirt and maybe a little talc to soften the pate. Also maybe drop the highlights in Lightroom if you have it.
  17. Manifold

Oddometer:
    Learning how to use a star tracker. Picked up an LX3 clockwork tracker that appears to work really well as long as you set it up right and work within its limitations. Needs a good tripod and mounts.

It matches the earths rotation so long exposure night shots of the stars stay fixed in position, allowing you to expose up to 100/Focal length in minutes. So at 100mm I can expose for 1 minute, instead of a maximum of 3 seconds without tracking.

It has a polar scope and you align it with the North star, then use a ball mount to swing the camera into position.

I started learning how to use it yesterday. Set up took a while and the light pollution here is pretty bad so no composition, just a random set of shots to see if I can eliminate star trailing. These is a single frame no stacking 50 second exposure at ISO 800, f6.3, 100mm. No trails although on the max limit. The lens deficiencies are showing up though :)

The maker recommends wide angle lenses with this so I'l be trying for some stacked Milky Way wild field stuff when i next head out into dark skies. So far I'm really impressed.

_DSC2664.jpg
    DittyBag, Ghoti, BR0 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Manifold

Oddometer:
    One of these in case you are interested :

Omegon-Mount-Mini-Track-LX3-SET.jpg
    UncaBuddha and Bodwick like this.
  19. FenceJumper09

FenceJumper09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had fun watching the Women's final at the 2020 Tennessee Knockout this year. I could not stick around for the men's races on Sunday sadly!

Still contemplating my camera upgrade from the mighty tiny SL1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    NikonsAndVStroms and TimCC like this.
  20. Ghoti

Ghoti Sooper Brane Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you using Silkypix?