NikonsAndVStroms Photography Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by NikonsAndVStroms, Feb 25, 2010.

1. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, as for the image I would snap that twig on the right or at least bend it out of the way for the shot, it is slightly out of focus and was one of the first things my eye noticed.

Actually you can crop it out and a bit from the top. I really liked this image so played with a bit.....try a B&W conversion and play with the contrast, trust me. Right now I am :clap:clap looking at it.

HDR and B&W go together amazingly :deal
  2. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    That's an awesome shot Tallboy :clap
  3. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    Something a little different from the landscape...

[​IMG]
  4. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    And how about a portrait... Micky the bartender from The Ear Inn - a regular spot for the NYC Inmates

[​IMG]
  5. snoid

snoid 100% Okie

Oddometer:
    i'm judging from a crappy dell monitor. if nikonsnvstroms says crank the contrast, i'd listen.

i'm a bit hobbled on my tech advice because i come from analog land.

a lot if this advice is situational. i can't tell if you could've gotten lower, which would've brought the 'hands' up proud of the horizon.
  6. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    You need to pull out a bit, I would always air on this side of caution since you can do a little crop here and there but if the image is too tight there is no help. I have done enough 2MP work to love working with 12 :lol3 so much freedom! Also the image is underexposed you want those feathers as white as possible while still holding detail.

As for the lens I haven't tried that one yet either. I'm actually just getting into the world of fancy glass myself all my early work was done on very very cheap equipment.
  7. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    :clap

Great shot, only 2 things I would fix, 1 would be to not crop off the cow on the left, the other is a fill flash to bring their faces out of the shadow. And those filters are lots of fun keep messing around and you will find all sorts of unintended uses.
  8. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    The people are a big distraction but I am guessing that could not be avoided.

As for the rest of the composition with such an orderly subject something more along the vertical line of the table could really bring this out. Or you could move a little closer/flatter so the glasses are what are in the frame and then play with the focus and try moving the part in focus up and down the table to see what set up works best.
  9. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    OK time to do a little work :lol3

This thread has me motivated and now I have a word document with outlines for 3 websites for me to build (one on my recovery project, another for camera/photography help :evil, and the third and probably final is updating my actual site which right now is a 2006 vintage :puke1). Damn trying to be productive :baldy

But this thread will be a nice break from flash :clap
  10. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the feedback, really helps to get some constructive guidance - let us know when you're done working :thumb
  11. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    Makes me smile too.
    I have sold in a few galleries and done a few shows and have never been taught what to do. I am not technically great, in fact far from it, but I like to think I have an eye for my compositions.
    For me I am trying to capture the emotion and vibe.
    I enjoy your pics as they have feeling in them and they translate the mood very well.

:thumb
  12. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    I just did the basic theme and main page for one site :clap so other than condensing the Cipro thread into a few paragraphs :lol3 all that is left is a bunch of busy work so feel free to post.
  13. Nico

Nico colorful

Oddometer:
    OK, I'll play. Nicoson in his element, just hanging at the beach enjoying a lazy day...
    [​IMG]
  14. SeanF

SeanF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that a Sigma 10-20? If so do you need thinner filters to avoid vignetting?

PS: I like the cows the best. :D
  15. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at it now and I'm not sure how I feel about the B&W. And yea that damn twig! It's almost as if you have to pay attention to every corner of the frame:lol3
  16. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    The image is pretty flat, you should find the curves option if you have photoshop or the gimp (if not download the gimp it's free) and you can play with the contrast to make it pop.

As for the composition as is watch the corners with the cut off of the shovel. You could move closer to your kid and lower thus making a false appearance of size. He might wonder what is up with you :lol3 but just go around all angles trying crazy stuff. When you go home you'll find some weird shot that actually works and then you have that to build off of.
  17. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Great thread. I've been getting more and more into taking better pictures over the last year.

I'm still not very good. Here are a couple of favourites.

scanned from film:

[​IMG]

Digital, converted to b&w

[​IMG]

Digital. Exif should be there.

[​IMG]

Digital, on a Sigma 10-20. I love that I captured the moment, even in challenging light. The picture is nothing special.

[​IMG]

And an old one from a p&s I've always liked.

[​IMG]

Thoughts?
  18. Nico

Nico colorful

Oddometer:
    Gimp huh? I'll look it up. (You better not be setting me up for some Pulp Fiction crap. :lol3)

My kids think I'm nuts anyway, might as well keep that going. :norton :D
  19. barefoot

barefoot Frustrated Rock Star

Oddometer:
    Ooh! I'll play, if you don't mind!
    1) Mitchell Mesa, in Monument Valley:
    [​IMG]

2) Bexar County Courthouse:
    [​IMG]
    edge2edge likes this.
  20. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    Since there are so many I'll just do some quick ones:

1) The big thing on this one is it looks like a standard height looking down, the doll and crates/random metal are all interesting elements but the angle could really add to them, like a close up on the coll looking out onto those elements.

2) A pretty standard snap shot but the big issues are it is slightly out of focus and the B&W conversion is pretty muddy. Is this a straight B&W conversion or did you play with the contrast/curves.

3) Try rotating 90 degrees counterclockwise and maybe use curves to brighten it up a little.

4) Pretty simple image, maybe if you got into the field it would translate better but then it wouldn't be your moment.

5) Try cropping off a little of the right hand part.