1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

[Ninja250] Battery Died

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by indr, Sep 20, 2010.

1. indr

indr .

Oddometer:
  2. MotoSailorDC

MotoSailorDC Hack-curious

Oddometer:
    replace the battery, or jump it and go for an hour ride or so, nice mid-range rpms.
  3. ABHooligan

ABHooligan The Flying Mythos

Oddometer:
    My limited experience is that motorcycle charging systems are marginal at best. If you ran the battery down that far, you probably need more than a couple of laps around the block to charge it. Try to find a low-amp battery charger, remove the battery, and charge it back up. It'll prolly be okay.

The riding-till-it's-charged trick may work, but what if you kill it at a stoplight?
  4. concours

concours WFO for 48 years

Oddometer:
  5. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You jump from a car and you run a good chance of frying your wiring, or at least popping a circuit or diode somewhere along the way. Both are 12-amp batteries, but the car batter can toast the electrics on the bike if something should arc.
  6. concours

concours WFO for 48 years

Oddometer:
    Dude, you don't know a damned thing about electricity. :1drink
  7. mike-s

mike-s 2 squeaky wheels

Oddometer:
    i jump started a neighbours car recently, and the cranking speed of his engine jumped noticeably and the impact on my car (making it struggle due to diversion of electrons to his starter motor) reduced noticeably when i raised the speed of my engine from idle (900rpm) to about 1600-1800rpm.

I've gotten a jumpstart by the nrma (roadside assistance company) years ago, and was told to drive around for 25 minutes before i even think of turning the engine off. I just told the guy the same thing as he has an auto and can't roll start it down a hill if he screws up and stalls it earlier than that.
  8. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Only a matter of time.

Oddometer:
    :photog

I can't beleive the number of bad battery questions in the garage. There should be a sticky about battery troubleshooting on the top of this page.

As for the original question, I'd remove the battery and charge it. Then have it load tested at a local auto parts store and go from there.