Nipigon, Over the Top

Discussion in 'Canada' started by John F, Feb 17, 2020.

1. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve seen some threads in the past discussing possible routes over the north end of Lake Nipigon in Ontario north of Lake Superior. And from the chatter in those threads it would seem it just isn’t possible. There was one “brother’s friend’s cousin’s next-door neighbor’s mechanic’s son” who supposedly did it, but sadly, no details.

I notice Google Maps will actually calculate a route over the top. Has anything changed? Does anybody have any up to date information on this area? My buddies and I had been planning a ride out to Lake Weagamow (beyond Windigo Lake via a new bridge), and now we’re looking into exploring the Lake Nipigon area in addition or instead. The ride to Weagamow would be an easy out and back. But the roads around Nipigon could be a lot more fun.

Any new info on this area would be greatly appreciated.
    1906F812-7675-423E-857C-2A7A9AD6E1D5.jpeg
  2. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    I'm not an expert but that seems to be the end of the road up there. Fly-in communities. I've been up towards Red Lake from Vermillion Bay and that ends. Maybe someone will know of ATV trails that connect the two although that's a long way between and a lot of water. I'm not sure what you'll find for services that far north. I went through Ignace last summer and it is pretty much a one-street town (couple small hotels, a few restaurants, etc.), so is Longlac (tiny), and Upsala. Good luck in your search.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ontario_Resource_Trail
  3. cmattina

cmattina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hit me up if you make it to red lake

As for Nipigon... Saw a thread on here, perhaps you've seen it, where a guy from Minnesota did it with some buds in Jeeps...
  4. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Lake Weagamow most definitely is the end of the road up there (the summer road, at least). And there really isn’t much of anything out there beyond Pickle Lake save for some small First Nations communities, some mines, and trees and lakes and rivers. That segment of the ride will be an easy out and back, safely done solo.
    I’m looking for up to date details on the region round Lake Nipigon, specifically a route over the top end of the lake, connecting logging areas on the east and west sides. A bit more surfing with Google Maps indicates that the route it calculates over the top of the lake crosses some pretty serious rivers and swamps and they’re probably passable only in the winter on a snowmobile. Damn you Google Maps! Get my hopes up, will you?
    superfunkomatic likes this.
  5. gpfan

gpfan a mari usque ad mare

Oddometer:
    Three pals and I did that ride last summer on GSXRs. Outstandingly smooth, snooker-table like pavement. Hit up an outrageously expensive, Michelin starred restaurant about a kilometre outside Ombabika. The most alluring wine list. They had a fifty-eight Lafitte that caressed the truffles and pheasant. If I were to do it again, I would have stayed longer at the spa in Savant Lake. The chef de cuisine there is a duck expert. In succeeding days, he served us Peking Duck, Duck a l'Orange, and the most intriguing and subtle roast Duck au Jus. All presented with a home Riesling from their private vineyard.

Pour moi, the only down point to the trip was the locals. All rather snobbish. Most everyone I met was a UofT grad. The lesser sorts were McGill and Oxford types. All quite self important. Rather off putting.

If you make it to Balmertown, I highly recommend the escargot at Maison Pierre. A haughty little dish that presents with a delightful sommelier chosen pinot grigio that surely dances on the pallet.

photo_55_660x440.jpg
    (Osnaburgh House McDonalds)

If you make this trip, exploit the presented ocean choices. The local game is also spectacular.

Enjoy the trip. Bring one's platinum card.
  6. fzrcraig

fzrcraig Offensive to Most

Oddometer:
    Awesome.
  7. John Fry

John Fry Adventurer

Oddometer: