NJ Off-Road Ride for Slow People 9/24

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by TomN, Sep 17, 2006.

1. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Edit: Please note change in start times:

1) Brass Ring Cafe Rt31S (North of Hopewell) 7:30am
    2) Vallejo Gas Station Rt539S just south of Rt195 (North of Allentown) 8:30am

Caffeine and I are meeting at 8:00am next Sun to explore some dirt roads in NJ. Neither of us are very good off-road so we will be going slow. I am not very familiar with NJ so I planned out a route that explores a buch of dirt/sand roads in and around the Pine Barrens. Should be a good way to learn whats around and get some practice in the sand.

We will be meeting at the gas station that's just below the intersection of I195 and cr539, N of Allentown NJ.

I'll post a pict of the route soon.
  2. caffeine

caffeine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Slow people with almost bald stock tires in the sand.
  3. jorge

jorge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    woo hoo! not sure if the wife will be starting a trip for work that day but if she cancells it i am there... i love to practice in the sand!

Jorge.
  4. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only if you ride the Strom :evil
  5. jorge

jorge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3 no way Tommy... the strom don't do sand... plus if it fell over and it would it would take all of us to lift it and after a afew lifts we'd all be pooped... I'll put a top case on the Z and fill it with junk to level off the playing field KLR vs DRZ...:D
  6. Will LC8

Will LC8 I stubbed my toe

Oddometer:
    Can I come?
  7. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only if you bring the 650 and go slow :ksteve
  8. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is the basic route, just ignore the PA part, that's how i'm getting there

[​IMG]
  9. Rcrx21

Rcrx21 06 KTM 950SM, 04 WR250F

Oddometer:
    How about a KLR with good tires but a 9 yr old on the back and my noob wife on her own KLR?

Butch
  10. caffeine

Oddometer:
    i may put some new rubber on before this ride if i can find someone who stocks something decent...any ideas on who will stock a decent set ot 50x50s? maybe the mefos in nj?

at 3k miles on the bike my tires arent looking so hot.
    -Rob
  11. Sandflea

Sandflea One Lump or Two?

Oddometer:
    Nothing short of DOT knobbies work well in the sand, unless you are a decent offroad rider. Go for the Kenda 270, they are cheep and wear well. Knobby enough for offroad, and streetable enough to tour (that's what I used when we rode to Cromag)
  12. caffeine

Oddometer:
    anyone in NJ stock them? im pissed i looked at my dunflops that werent even knobbies and only got 3k out of them. such is life.
  13. NJCapoNut

NJCapoNut Dirty Boy

Oddometer:
    Maxxis C6006....50/50 about 100.00 for the pair.

Im on my second set...I like them alot
  14. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL got me, never rode most of this ride before. The few times I have done sand it did not seem very noob friendly. You have to keep your speed up which is hard to do when scared, ask me how I know lol.

If any of the fater guys who is going has a GPS let me know, I will send you the GPS route, then we can have a fast group and slow group, meet up at intersections and such.

15. caffeine

Oddometer:
    anyone stock them around here? im willing to try pretty much anything, if im going to be changing tires once a month shouldnt be long before i find a set i like.
  16. jorge

jorge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Rob those tires don't owe you a thing man! 3K is average for dual sport rubber especially with all the asphalt you did and you rode the heck out of that KLR real fast too... i pretty much budget and expect to get new rubber (at least a rear every season)... and if i can do 3K to 4K on the thumper per season i am a very happy boy! The cool thing is you can try all sorts of brands real quick and then keep using your favorite.

Oh don't toss the OEM rubber, we gotta try adding rivets to the rubber and do some ice riding...LOL who says you can't ride all year! Hey Tom are there any pools or ponds out by you?... the pond would be good for us...:lol3
  17. Wilbrr

Wilbrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Tom,

I will probably join you guys. Looks like an ambitious route. :D

Looks like you're going thru AssunpinkWMA which is pretty cool but muddy now - was there last week (originally from that area). You're deifinitely going to need knobbies. I have GPS routes thru Assunpink (all dirt, farm tracks), down and around great adventure (all dirt) and down past Colliers MillsWMA. I also have several GPS routes I made through the PBs (Lebanon, Wharton, Penn and most WMAs) from easy (dirt roads) to hard (whooped out trails, singletrack) I can share with you. With all the rain, last week, the sand was fantastic on Saturday although had to go thru some monster water holes.:lol3
    Shoot me a PM with your route and I'll make some suggestions.

Guys coming from Flemington, Bucks County area, we can meet somewhere local and take backroads to the start point. We'll have to leave by 7 to make it there by 8. I'll be on a DRZ with 90/10 knobbies so no super slabbing for me.

Later

Wil
  18. Sandflea

Sandflea One Lump or Two?

Oddometer:
    Now I know why I have been keeping all my take-offs for the last 3 years! I still have the original set of tires for the KLR too. Just can't seem to throw anything out.:lol3
    Rob, if you want a tire that lasts for a while, try Kenda K761's, they suck offroad, o.k. on fire roads/packed dirt roads, but you get major milage on them. Avon Gripsters and very street and $$ but last long too. You and also fit Dunlop 404's/402's(?), it's Harley tire that wears like iron on a 360lb D/S bike. I mail order all my tires on the cheep (SW moto, RockyMtn ATV/MC, Chaparal Motorsports, MAW, Motorcycle Superstore, ect.) and change them, ballance them myself.
  19. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wilbrr,
    If you could make up a route that is a little easier and doesn't need knobbies that would be great, I have no idea where to ride so I just threw something together.

I was in the AssunpinkWMA a month or so ago and it was dry and no problem with my tires, maybe it will dry out by next weekend.

If someone with more experience in that area wants to step up and make a route and lead feel free. I just never see anyone doing rides for beginners so I figured I would give it a go.
  20. Wilbrr

Wilbrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good but I didn't mean to hijack your ride. I'll put together and PM you a route and keep it as easy as possible and have go-arounds for mud trails. If we get down there early enough, we might be able to check out the Scrub Pine Enduro that day in Lebanon.

Not to scare you but this is what happened the last time I led a beginner ride thru the PBs. But overall they did great and we had a lot of fun. This time we'll steer clear of deep sand sections.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150522&highlight=virginity

Later

Wil