NM 165 report

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by DesertDonor, Sep 4, 2019.

1. DesertDonor

DesertDonor Deep Sand and Mud Detector

Oddometer:
    After I crashed on it a year ago, it took me a while to get back on NM 165, that insane rock path with a little dust on it that goes from Placitas, NM to about halfway up the Sandia Crest road (NM 536).

Went up early on a Friday about 2 weeks ago. Road is in...well, I almost said great shape, but more accurate to say "great shape for NM 165." Bone-dry, no major mud holes or sandy bits, only a few moderate cuts from runoff.

I went up and it was uneventful, if rough. Felt narrow toward the bottom, maybe due to a summer's worth of tree growth. As usual, I was questioning my sanity before the first half was over, then it wasn't so bad once I got to the switchbacks.

You might want to give it a go before winter sets in, if you haven't been. I owe myself a downhill trip (crest to Placitas) on NM 165 soon, just to show it who's boss.
    redrock88 likes this.
  2. DesertDonor

Oddometer:
    Note to self to upload .GPX track if anyone's interested. I often use OSMAnd+ for ride recording and post-crash analysis.
  3. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What bike were you on for this ride?
  4. sceep

sceep Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a lot more fun @ 20*F in the snow.

[​IMG]

Ridden it hundreds of times. Its the dirt road back way home if the canyon is closed or if im bored.
    DesertDonor likes this.
  5. DesertDonor

Oddometer:
    2007 Vstrom DL1000.
  6. mtech1950

mtech1950 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    did you stop at sandia man cave?
  7. DesertDonor

Oddometer:
    I did not. Been to the cave, but I drove a car that time.
  8. DesertDonor

Oddometer:
    Went down from the Crest to Placitas today. One year to the day of my crash. No crash this time.

However, I did lose a handguard. No idea how that happened. I was up on the pegs and looking down the road, just suddenly noticed it wasn't there any more. Stopped and looked for it but no dice.

If you find a well-worn right side handguard for a 2007 Suzuki Vstrom DL1000 on NM 165, probably between 4 and 6 miles from Balsam Glade, it's yours. I was thinking of upgrading to Bark Busters or similar, and I guess this is a good excuse.
    sceep likes this.