NMBDR: I'll watch your back if you watch mine

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Maverich, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Maverich

Maverich I'm not lost

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at riding the NMBDR in June or July of 2021, and I'd like some company. In return for helping my ride partners with whatever the trail throws at them, I only ask, should the situation arrive, that they would call my wife to inform her I died doing what I love to do. I gather it's a bit easier to go North to South, but I want to keep options open to continue on into Colorado, so I'll be starting at the South end. I'm on a DR 650, I'm not fast, this isn't my first time, and I can get through pretty much anything. I prefer to dispersed camp most nights. I want to hit the red sections. If you're interested, let's talk!
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  2. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Sounds interesting.
  3. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Maverich

We did the bulk of it this year. Didn't take any of the "easy" alt routes. You have a very good bike for this BDR. There's one super rocky and I mean major rocky section after Chloride that ended it for one of our group. It's moderate in length. On a DR it's doable (I had a KTM 500) but a GSA would be miserable. The run next to the missile range has long stretches of moderate sand that sent some to pavement. Peg that DR @ 40 mph and you'll fly over it. There's a section of the ride that includes some stretches of deep deep sand, but the bulk of the ride is easy Class 1 and 2 dirt.

New Mexico is stunning. The landscape changes with the elevation and there is beauty everywhere you look. We did another ride there, also this year, on bigger bikes with a mix of pavement (including a run into Arizona on 191) and dirt.

Who knows what 2021 will bring in terms of Covid. Everywhere we went in this crazy 2020 everything was open except some of the towns on reservations had road blocks to keep out non locals . That didn't affect our NMBDR route though.

Overall, though, it's a fantastic ride and you need to make sure it doesn't end up in your "I wish I did that" file.
    cyclopathic and CarterFury like this.
  4. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unless you've been to the southwest in the summer, you won't be prepared for the heat
    Expect 100 deg.+ most days, unless you get lucky and it rains (which almost never happens in early summer)...:-)
  5. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Maverich I'm sure you've come across this but here it is just in case:

LINK
    cyclopathic likes this.
  6. CarterFury

CarterFury Yee Haw! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hit me up as it gets closer or as you have questions, I'm going to try and redo it next year with some local friends from LC/El Paso area.
    I solo'd all but Sec 7 a couple of weeks ago using the rideBDR gpx points but had the Butler map for more info and as a reference.
    @Tricepilot and @SKINNY are both correct, heat and wx will be factors for you to work through or around but it's all doable and should be enjoyable on your bike. there was only about three minutes of pucker-factor for me and I rate myself as an intermediate rider.
    It'll be fun and if you do solo, I encourage you to rent a Sat device because there are lots of miles free of other humans and cell service...
  7. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I should be in SW NM then, I have a rv I live in out there. The sections east of route 25 will definitely be the ones high temperature will come into play along with the deep sand. It can be brutal even for the folks that live there. The bikes pay the price also remember in the heat.

But I'd be interested in tagging along. Keep in touch and if the group is small would be best.
    CarterFury likes this.
  8. Maverich

Maverich I'm not lost

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to have had some responses already! I know it's early, but after riding some of the CDR last summer, I can't wait to get back in that area. my RR is here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/2020-ride-report-ozarks-west-texas-and-southern-cdt.1461311/

@Tricepilot Thanks for the tips, and yeah I know about ridebdr... I've been looking at the tracks in JSOM.
    @SKINNY I was in south TX and the NM CDR last August. I like hot, carry plenty of water, and I don't push my bike too hard. I'm good!
    @CarterFury I always enjoy a bit of pucker, but I know its good to have company when riding those parts. I have a Garmin In-Reach and my family keeps an eye on my movement when I'm out.
    @Snake Oiler I agree, small groups are better. Fewer opinions = less compromise.
    CarterFury and Snake Oiler like this.
  9. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have travelled with both large and small groups. I actually find there is less dissension in larger groups.

With a small group one difficult person can ruin the trip since you usually cannot continue without him/her.

With a larger group you can just go on without the difficult one. Everybody seems to know this and seem to tone their attitudes down a little.
    Maverich and Snake Oiler like this.