NMOHVA's 2nd Annual "7 Trails of Gold Trailfest" - déjà vu Edition

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by NMOHVA, Apr 5, 2019.

1. NMOHVA

NMOHVA n00b

Oddometer:
    The New Mexico Off Highway Vehicle Alliance (NMOHVA) is proud to announce the 2nd Annual 7 Trails of Gold Trailfest - déjà vu Edition multi-modal event in Grants, New Mexico on May 31 - June 2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The number one comment we heard from the attending riders at the 2017 inaugural event was, “I had no idea this riding was even out here!” With feedback like that, we just knew we had to share the “secret” with the rest of NMOHVA’s membership. In that spirit, this year’s event will be MULTI-MODAL with three days of riding/driving for full size 4WD vehicles and ATV/UTV’s as well as dual sport motorcycles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Grants New Mexico is a very motorized recreation-friendly community. The surrounding area offers outstanding and plentiful riding opportunities on nearby Mt. Taylor and in the Zuni Mountains. We know there is enough fun for everybody, even on the same weekend and we will be working hard to coordinate the rides and routes to keep everyone happy and moving freely!

Our Forest Service permit caps the total vehicle count for the event at 150 vehicles. We initially split the available space evenly among the three modes at 50 each. We will regularly monitor the registration response and allocate spaces appropriately. We want to accommodate as many people as we can within our overall limit.

Our approach for the first year was a no-frills, low-cost event with the emphasis on providing a quality riding experience out on the trails. Again, the feedback was overwhelming positive, so we are taking the same approach for 2019, but you will have the option of purchasing a 7 trails of gold event T-shirt if desired. These shirts will be designed and ordered by Grants Main Street and made available to you. If you choose to purchase a T-shirt you will received a coupon in your packet for the shirt or shirts that can be redeemed at the Grants Main Street booth in the park.

This is an AMA-sanctioned event.

Registration for the event is only $50.00. On-line registration for the event is HERE.

Registration will include dinner on Saturday evening and event stickers. (One of these stickers will need to be applied to your vehicle during the event per forest service permit requirements.) All funds above event costs will go directly to NMOHVA's Access Defense Fund. The Access Defense Fund is used to protect and preserve all modes of motorized recreation and access in New Mexico. These events are NMOHVA's primary source of fundraising.

We can promise that the riding available in the Grants area is varied, interesting, scenic, and plentiful! All three days of the event will again feature dual sport riding on a variety of roads and motorized trails. Mount Taylor offers high altitude (11,000 foot plus!) alpine scenery, outstanding vistas, and unforgettable riding. The Zuni Mountains offer a very rich logging, railroad, and mining history with many remaining relics and ruins amidst the pines, aspens, and lush green meadows. Both Mt. Taylor and the Zunis offer a wide range of riding options suitable for different skill levels and the desires of the rider for long or shorter days. The routes range from gravel roads to two tracks to narrow (ATV-width) rocky trails.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NMOHVA's crack “advance scout team” will also start riding potential “additions” to our last events offerings just as soon as the snow leaves the area and the trails finish drying out.
    FEAR NOT :pynd, our crack team won't forget to scout the Food and Beverage options as well! :dukegirl:beer

For those riders looking for suitable “big-bike friendly” options, there will be multiple routes available including sections of the New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Route in both the Zunis and Mt. Taylor in addition to the highly scenic Chain of Craters Backcountry Byway, a visit to El Morro National Monument (Inscription Rock) or the always popular loop down to Pie Town, NM for some world-famous pie!

Here is just a sample of the fun to be had! This video was shot at the 2017 event:

All riding at this event is strictly "no fee" and at the event participant's own discretion. GPS tracks of suggested routes will be available, and there will be multiple ride leaders each day for those who want to follow "experienced riders" :ricky
    All paved road riding requires a legal, plated bike. All dirt road and trail riding requires a valid NM OHV sticker or sticker from a reciprocal state. An USFS-approved spark arrester is required on all US Forest Service managed lands.

[​IMG]

IMG_1469.JPG
    Someone had fun in the morning! :rofl

IMG_1468.JPG
    Even Capt Rick approves!

IMG_1435.JPG

DSCN0990.JPG

DSCN0943.JPG
    Let's Hope its this Green in 2019! From 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In response to feedback from this forum and our own recent surveys, this event is meant to be a “low-cost, no-frills” dual sport motorycle event focused on providing outstanding riding opportunities to all riders. The event is AMA-sanctioned.

All paved road riding requires a legal, plated bike. All dirt road and trail riding requires a valid NM OHV sticker or sticker from a reciprocal state. An USFS-approved spark arrester is required on all US Forest Service managed lands.

All accommodations are the responsibility of the riders. The Grants community offers a wide range of hotel, motel, and RV/tent camping options. The surrounding Cibola National Forest also offers RV/tent developed and undeveloped camping options. Here is a list of the local accommodations:

http://www.grants.org/sleep.aspx

This NMOHVA event is being held in conjunction with Grants MainStreet Project, Inc’s inaugural 7 Trails of Gold Outdoor Festival. The festival highlights the wonderful trail-based recreation in the surrounding area. The festival will include live music, BBQ/food vendors, and local breweries offering their finest craft beers on Saturday at the Fire and Ice Park in downtown Grants. More details on the Grants MainStreet Project event can be found on Facebook at:

https://www.facebook.com/events/737810139945678/

We invite you to join NMOHVA and the Grants MainSteet Project for the 7 Trails of Gold. We are looking forward to showing you a “new” area of New Mexico we know you will enjoy!

See you all there!!!
    IMG_1418.JPG
    Rogue_Ryder, Sledred and ZiaThunder like this.
  2. advrider76

advrider76 WTF!!! Why not?

Oddometer:
    I'm in! Looking forward to to this, there's some really great riding around there.
    ZiaThunder likes this.
  3. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    :lurk:lurk:lurk
  4. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    déjà vu Edition ... Again or the Second, Second annual 7 Trails of Gold.
    We are trying to time the event between the mud season and the fire season.
    In registered and got a room. This is gonna be fun!
  5. the4hens

the4hens We're not happy till you're not happy.

Oddometer:
    In. Arizona Trail Riders should be well represented again.
    Sledred likes this.
  6. _Harry_

_Harry_ Redneck Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hope to be in - looking at the calendar now. :freaky

The forest will definitely be open this year - but if this weather pattern keeps up, you may need to rename the ride "7 Trails of Mud" :lol3
    Blakebird likes this.
  7. LApilot

LApilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am going to have to show up just to shoot another video of chasing Steve around the mountain. That sure was fun.
  8. Sledred

Sledred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In and registered! Too much fun the first time to miss the second, second one....
  9. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great I am happy to hear AZ Trail Rider are coming. I hope they bring more Zip Ties:jack
    Sledred likes this.
  10. phxman

phxman "Rocks are my Friends"

Oddometer:
    Question. If I am bringing a motorcycle and a SxS and plan to alternate transportation do I need just 1 ticket or 2 tickets?
  11. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are only driving or riding one at a time one ticket should do.
  12. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:
    Hope to be In.
  13. Kyron

Kyron Oncler Inds

Oddometer:
    I'm in and will be bringing plenty of zipties :jack
    Sledred likes this.
  14. grnrydr

grnrydr n00b

Oddometer:
    Any suggestions for RV camping there? I have a truck and a small (20') travel trailer coming from Taos. Don't need RV hook-ups, but they are nice!
  15. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are a couple RV parks in Grants. One has a mirco-brewery on site. I think it is called Lavaland. There is also a KOA and one called Blue Spruce. Personally I would go for the beer. I never camped there but I have tasted their brew, mighty fine!

There is camping in both Mt Taylor and the Zuni Mountains but it is a ways out of town.
    Sledred likes this.
  16. LApilot

LApilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stayed at Blue Spruce last time. Can't beat the price. It is right on the trail so if you like to sleep late you will be disturbed by lots of noisy dirt bikers rumbling past.:rofl:imaposer
  17. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    I heard a rumor (online) , we have over 90 vehicles so far. Motorcycles numbers are well in the lead.

The number of vehicle registrations per type (ATV/UTV, Jeeps, Motorcycles) will be adjusted, so we can accommodate the maximum number of participants.
    phxman and Sledred like this.
  18. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    A couple picture for previous scouting in the Zuni Mountains

Attached Files:

ridenm, chilejack and Sledred like this.
  19. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    We were down to only one motorcycle spot left and El Hefe our prez reallocated some spare Jeep and ATV slots. So now we have room for more bikes.
    Sledred, phxman and ZiaThunder like this.
  20. TTKlaus

TTKlaus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be there!