NMOHVA's "7 Trails of Gold" Dual Sport Event

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by trailwerks, Apr 1, 2017.

1. phxman

phxman "Rocks are my Friends"

Oddometer:
    Any idea of mileage for Sunday DS routes? Just trying to figure out if I'll have time to drive home Sunday night.
  2. trailwerks

trailwerks Missing Two Wheels Supporter

Oddometer:
    The routes will vary from about 60 miles to 145 miles. Most offer numerous opportunities to cut the loop short if a shorter day is needed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    phxman likes this.
  3. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    The trail you inquired about shown in the picture is probably 50TAC or ATV trail 02329. Since my navigation skills suck I am not totally sure where I was. But, I wasn't lost, I still had gas!
    Sledred likes this.
  4. Kyron

Kyron Oncler Inds

Oddometer:
    I just registered :ricky 4 more weeks

Another guy from Arizona trail riders
    the4hens, Sledred and phxman like this.
  5. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another scouting trip today. A view of Mt Taylor from Mt Sedgwick plus a couple of other pictures.

Attached Files:

phxman and NMTrailboss like this.
  6. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wooohoooo, Getting closer to some great scenery!

:clap
  7. Flyingwelshman

Flyingwelshman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just reserved a kool kamping spot at the KOA. Kan't wait! Now if I could only get that pesky kanker to heal. :hmmmmm
  8. TTKlaus

TTKlaus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in! Looking super forward to it.
    CaptRick likes this.
  9. sceep

sceep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like my dad and his gang have registered. Staying at lava land rv park.

I'm not going to make it. Too much going on with new house purchase.
    CaptRick likes this.
  10. TTKlaus

TTKlaus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just reserved a bed at the Sands.
  11. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    Registered! See you guys in a couple of weeks..
  12. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another weekend Scouting for the 7 Trails of Gold.

Attached Files:

13. trailwerks

Oddometer:
    GPS Tracks for the 7 Trails of Gold! First, the necessary disclaimers……

1. The New Mexico Off Highway Vehicle Alliance (NMOHVA), nmohva.org, it's officers, directors, and membership are not liable or responsible in any way, shape or form for this post's content, any inaccuracies, use, misuse, or interpretation. The reader, rider, or user is solely responsible for knowing current New Mexico OHV laws, regulations and statutes and public access status. It is the user or reader's responsibility to inquire with the appropriate governing or managing authorities for up-to-date laws, regulations or statutes regarding OHV operation.
    2. All riding activities at the 7 Trails of Gold event are strictly "no fee" and at the event participant's discretion. All road riding requires a legal, plated bike per New Mexico statutes. Many of the routes below require a plated bike to access and/or complete. All routes shown below are believed to be legal routes that are open to the public but we make no guarantees as to that fact or the accuracy of the tracks or route descriptions.
    3. I am writing these route descriptions with a “middle-of-the-road” dual sport rider in mind (since that sort of describes me). I am taking both the difficulty and the length of the route into account with these ratings. We all know “that guy” who can ride a fully loaded 990 up a 20-mile long track that should only be ride able by a freak of nature on a trials bike. These descriptions won’t apply to “that guy”. Nor will these descriptions apply to someone who believes themselves to be a much better rider than they actually are. As they say in the commercials, “Your results may vary.”
    4. Some of these routes can be very “lonely” with only infrequent use by ranchers and other travelers. We highly recommend traveling with companions for mutual support. There are NO services out there and cell phone coverage is spotty, at best. All riders need to be self-sufficient with enough food, water, spares, and expertise to get back to town on their own.

CaptCapsize and ADVrider76 (intrepid NMOHVA Board members and members of our crack “pre-ride” team) have completed the pre-rides for the 7 Trails of Gold ride. The route descriptions are posted below with the corresponding tracks at the bottom of this post. With a limit of five sets of tracks per post, the tracks will be posted in TWO separate posts.Without further ado, here are the tracks/descriptions for the suggested ride loops being offered during the inaugural 7 Trails of Gold event:

Loop 1 – Zuni Mountains Mega-Tour – 143 miles – Rating: Hard. This is probably the most challenging loop being offered. None of the route is that difficult per se but the ATV sections of the route, combined with the sheer length of this ride, ensure a larger calorie burn than any other ride. This ride also features the highest concentration of logging history with numerous logging camp structures and abandoned logging railroad trestles along its course.

Loop 2 – Tour of Mt. Taylor – 81 miles – Rating: Easier. Mt. Taylor is the 11,301 foot “signature” peak in this part of New Mexico. The iconic mountain dominates the eastern skyline from Grants and offers convenient “high altitude” riding just a short ride from downtown. This tour sticks to easier Forest Service roads to access the high ground around the peak and offers a great loop ride among the cool pines.

Loop 3 – El Malpais, Pie, and Craters - 179 miles – Rating: Easier. This is the “big bike” special. It is longer and has more pavement that the other suggested loops and was selected as being suitable for bigger, heavier bikes. The ride is a mixture of pavement and very easy dirt down the east edge of the El Malpais National Monument down to NM’s most famous stop on the Continental Divide Ride – Pie Town. El Malpais means “the badlands” but the pavement skirts the impossible jumble of lava described. Pie Town will make an excellent lunch stop (or just a pie stop!). The trip back follows pavement north until it intersects with the Chain of Craters Scenic Byway. The Byway is relatively smooth dirt north across the Zuni Mountains back towards Grants. An optional side loop in the Zunis takes in a short but really sweet section of the New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Route.

Loop 4 – Mt. Taylor, the Harder Way – 94 miles – Rating: Moderate to Hard. Just as the name implies, this route visits the same “main loop” the circles the high country in the vicinity of Mt. Taylor. The routes up and down this version forego as much of the pavement/graded dirt as possible to amp up the challenge a little bit. The route up climbs a series of steep switchbacks up the south face of the mountain, and meanders around on some rocky ATV tracts. After a long wandering loop through the pines at altitude, the route down utilizes a (sometimes) steep, rocky, and sandy track off La Jara Mesa west of the mountain.

Attached Files:

14. trailwerks

Oddometer:
    Loop 5 – Fluorspar and Lava – 73 miles – Rating: Moderate. This loop concentrates on exploring the huge variety of terrain packed into the southeastern corner of the Zunis. Some of the ATV routes in this area offer a modicum of challenge with some rocks, a ledge or two, and some ruts to negotiate. Up and down slopes, in and out of canyons, sandstone and lava fields, and historic fluorspar mines – this loop packs a lot of fun into a shorter distance.

Loop 6 – Get High on Mt. Sedgwick – 85 miles – Rating: Moderate. Mt. Sedgwick is the high point of the Zuni Mountains at 9,256 feet. The advantage Mt. Sedgwick has over its bigger brother to the north is that there is a road that goes to the very top with a true 360 view over the surrounding countryside. To get there, the loop traverses classic Zuni Mountain terrain including one of the best motorized trails in the area. The climb to the top of Mt. Sedgwick includes a lush and scenic canyon and the route back to town includes a bonus loop through the lava flows that oozed from the area’s many craters.

Loop 7 – Zuni Mountains Sampler – 84 miles – Rating: Easier to Moderate. This route is just what the name implies – a series of small tastes of the great variety of terrain, landscapes, and history that make up the Zuni Mountains. A variety of graded roads, two tracks, ATV trails – the summit of Mt. Sedgwick, a bit of lava, some pine and aspen, beautiful meadows – this route has it all.

The routes above are quite linked/interlaced with each other. This provides most of the routes above with multiple opportunities to shorten or stretch the loops by jumping from one route to another.

Designated Motorized Routes
    It is worth noting that some of the designated ATV trails suggested above do not appear in their entirety on the official Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) currently in use for the Mt. Taylor Ranger District. The MVUM is outdated and has been supplemented by a Forest Service-issued booklet containing additional routes. All of the routes listed above ARE completely on legal and duly designated motorized OHV routes that will appear on the next MVUM when it is issued.

On the other hand, the designated routes and routes that are non designated often look very much alike on the ground. NMOHVA urges all riders to stay on the designated routes. To make this easier, NMOHVA has created Garmin Custom Maps of both the Mt. Taylor and the Zuni Mountains from the official MVUM. Links to those Custom Maps are here:

Garmin Custom Map for Mt. Taylor MVUM
    Garmin Custom Map for Zuni Mountains MVUM

Attached Files:

15. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:
    hats off to the pre-riders for taking the time to scope out the area!

:clap:p3rry
  16. the4hens

the4hens We're not happy till you're not happy.

Oddometer:
    The Arizona Trail Riders group of 10 are looking forward to the event!
    Geneva likes this.
  17. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pre-riding is a extremely fun job, but someone has to it. So, some of us took the bullet for y'all. Additionally we have been scouting out some restaurants....result: I might need heaver suspension.

I look forward to seeing the AZ riders. Any of you do the Aravaca Outback in Feb? It was a blast.
  18. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    Did 80 more miles of scouting in the Zuni's today including the trail CaptCapsize and Advrider76 did this past weekend. That trail was awesome!! :clap
    CaptRick likes this.
  19. Kyron

Kyron Oncler Inds

Oddometer:
    Yeah, a lot of us were there too !!
  20. phxman

phxman "Rocks are my Friends"

Oddometer:
    The routes look amazing and the KMZ files for GE are just icing on the cake. Thanks, really looking forward to this ride.