No drive after engine swap?

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by mountaincadre, Jun 18, 2019.

1. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just done an engine swap on my 950A,(990 smt in now) engine is running fine but when you put it in gear there's Nothing, master and slave are working fine- when it's in gear with engine running the neutral light goes out but there is no drive? I left the original clutch in thinking it looked okay,( no burnt looking plates but strangely enough I've never had to replace one in any bike I've ever had so limited knowledge) with bike running or not you can put it in gear and still push it about,( there feels like there's a little resistance) when I swapped over the pick up wheel from the 950 engine to the 990 engine you have to take off the nut that holds the clutch basket on and slide the basket forward about a half inch to get the old wheel off and the new one in, obviously the pressure plate has to be removed, when i but the pressure plate back on i tightned all the bolts up to there stops then gave them 10nm- is that correct? My feeling is either I've retightened clutch wrongly or the clutch pack from the new engine was worn out- anyone any idea's?
  2. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you've cocked something up, mate. Better pop the clutch cover off, so we can all take a look.
  3. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm on my way back home from the workshop mate,( workshop in Edinburgh and I live in West lothian) no dodgy noises or anything like that just no drive:(
  4. NKL

NKL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you haven't lined up the outer pressure plate
    mountaincadre likes this.
  5. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    NKL could you give me a bit more detail please, I just put it on, not in any particular way,( just on with holes for springs and bolts to line up).mmmm
  6. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    And it would still engage. Sure the manual says to move that outer most plate.

But how would the CJ basket that does not even have that cutout work?

Any chance you lost a plate?

And the outer most plate has beefier friction pads would guess it has to do with it being in contact the aluminum pressure plate.

/Johan
    Boatman and MotoActionADV like this.
  7. NKL

NKL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cant remember if there are arrows to line up or you just need to line up the notches in the outer plate with the corresponding notches on the basket
  8. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didn't even take plates our Johan as there was no need, I just moved the whole lot forward about half an inch then back again making sure that the cog behind re-engaged with other one.
  9. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is an arrow nkl also 2 other markings on the pressure plate.
  10. NKL

NKL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's been a while since I had my clutch apart I'm afraid, trying to find a photo
  11. NKL

NKL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    upload_2019-6-18_17-27-14.png
  12. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks nkl I know for fact I HAV'NT got it mounted that way, I have the arrow to the right,( it was only a couple of days ago I did it) hopefully I can just lean her over and take of just the 1st half of the casing,( not the other part with water pump housing.
  13. zimtim

zimtim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you swap over slave cylinder.
    If so did you replace the the small pin that goes through the long rod and line it up with the groove in the slave cylinder.
  14. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, I have an Oberon fitted and yes I remembered the pin, I thought the same thing- has the ball bearing fell out? Is it lined up, there was a lot of profanity this afternoon.
  15. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still think it would work fine without the pin.

Maybe excess wear if it starts spinning.

And loosing the ball would cause clutch to not dissengange.

Maybe 2 balls or forgetting something in the spacing of the clutch slave would cause it to be bolted in far enough that it's constantly disengaging?

/Johan
  16. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what it sounds like to me also always disengaged, somethings cocked up. Remove the clutch cover and see if the stack moves with lever action.
  17. Allucaneat

Allucaneat When do we stop to eat? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Start with the simple things.

A few years ago I bought my daughter a used TT-R90 that was cosmetically rough, but ran well. I took some things apart and cleaned it good, and then a couple of weeks went by before I tried running it again. I started it and put it in gear - the engine rev'd but the bike didn't move. I looked down and realized I had never reinstalled the chain after soaking it! :scratch :fpalm
  18. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes you should be able to lay it over and pull just the clutch cover.
  19. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    No need to lay it down for that. Even on the sidestand you will hardly loose any oil.

But to be safe I roll bike up on a wooden board to get it to lean over a little extra.

/Johan
  20. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    So just popped the cover off of the clutch and yes the pressure plate was not on correctly, I've put it on now and the slave to check function, operating the lever I can see the pressure plate going in and out, now the bolts for the springs are to be 10nm of torque, I've turned them in till they've stopped, I am right in thinking it's now they get torqued up to 10nm?