No Fumar Español: South from San Diego

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by crashmaster, Aug 31, 2009.

1. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha, I think I guilted him into it. S.F. took a big hit in the 5.5 quake in April last year, I don't know if any of the palapas are habitable, and that's pretty bad considering some of the 5-star places we have flopped. After the long time owner Genero Vallidadas died, I exchanged a few emails with his wife who lived in TJ with their sons. They decided to sell the place to a Mexico City businessman. Juan and Maria stayed on and they even got the water heater working for a while in the retitled showers. I first visited the place in 1977, it has remained one of the more remote and charming places in Baja to me- Genero was a great guy. He took my 1150 GS to the dealer in San Diego once after I broke a collar bone + and couldn't ride home. Wouldn't take a cent, said he was going up to TJ anyway to visit with the wife. Love Baja

Anyone been by the place in the last few months?
    UOTE=TxTiger;23083892]Do it Vinnie![/QUOTE]
  2. prsdrat

prsdrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE]

And how could anyone forget the times when Javier and Chary Tiznado
    ran SF? They have now relocated to Guerrero Negro.
  3. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    You guys are killin me. :lol3 I'm in for Baja with Rartz, naturally, just need to get the time off for the Papi Jim Memorial Ride. But for now, while all you slackers are drinking vino in Mendoza, I have to go back to work, in other words, prepare my anus. :lol3

boulder geek has it right, its the zombie thread. :rofl

Martyn mi amigo, can't wait to get down south and ride with your crazy ass again, fun times for sure!

saludos, Vin
  4. prsdrat

prsdrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Vinnie, a quick question; my 23 year old grandson has aspirations
    to get in your line of work. Do you have any recommendations? Sorry
    to take your RR off track as I have enjoyed every moment.

Thanks.
  5. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    About two years before Genaro died of cancer, I got lazy and broke my collar bone in the sand wash just before the turn at the yacht club. He brought my GS to San Diego BMW and wouldn't take a cent - he said he was going up to see his wife in TJ and not to sweat it. My first visit there was in 1978, what a spot and many great memories - going to check it out next month and see if Juan or Maria are still there or if Ed is at his house. Sigh

And how could anyone forget the times when Javier and Chary Tiznado
    ran SF? They have now relocated to Guerrero Negro.[/QUOTE]
  6. Dr. Benny

Dr. Benny Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer:
    Hey Crashmaster,

I made up a few "inspirational" quotes images for a new project. Thought you might get a kick out of this. Thanks for all the advice and inspiration!

[​IMG]
  7. jlambo

jlambo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I feel a bit weird coming so late to this party, but I gotta say, epic ride and RR Crashmaster! The laid back pace, and out of the way route choices really provide a great window into the many cultures, bravo!
    Cmnthead likes this.
  8. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Wow, my ride report back from the dead. :lol3 thanks for the kind words amigo. :beer
    drrags and Dracula like this.
  9. Meme

Meme Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Because of this RR is why I kept coming back to ADV rider... Now it became a habit!:jack
    Cmnthead likes this.
  10. Neverenuff

Neverenuff Feral male !

Oddometer:
    Same here! Read this thread awhile back and I aint been right since
    Cmnthead likes this.
  11. BadDogMax

BadDogMax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep
  12. advrockrider

advrockrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think there should be a pinned link at the start of ride reports to link the most read and (classic) reports? This is one of them! As others have stated, this report is what really got me hooked on ADV rider! Crashmaster is like the local drug dealer, he got us hooked with just a little taste and now you cant stop coming back! OK, I feel better I got my fix...
  13. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    :rofl:lol3:rofl:lol3

Thanks fellas, I think. :lol3 :photog
  14. prsdrat

prsdrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, we're waiting for your next adv. Bring it!
  15. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Crashmaster,
    Just finished reading your awesome ride report! RTWpaul sent me here to find out what he meant by "No Fumar Espanol!" I was sad to find that most of the pics and video are non functional,especially from about page 70 on. :( Still it was an excellent read and an interesting insight into The Americas and long distance motorcycle travel.:clap

I hope you will be able to get traveling on the bike sometime soon again!
    Best Regards....just jeff
  16. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jeff, I glad you enjoyed the ride report.

I went back and looked over the pics and past pg 70 they all are still showing on my computer, could have been an issue with smugmug as well I guess. The vid links got corrupted somehow, maybe when they changed the adv site format. I'll go back and fix those.

Thanks again, Vin
  17. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:
    When are you doing the trip again on the 690?
  18. chasbo

chasbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like somebody got a picture of you recently Crash...
    [​IMG]
  19. RiderRick

RiderRick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found this old report and thoroughly enjoyed reading it in my spare time. Thank you for sharing your stories and pictures.
  20. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Dude. Just... dude.

I got the same tip from RTWPaul to read this one. Took me a while to get through it all, but thoroughly worth it.

I got laid off in 2013 from a job I hated - the kicker was they gave me enough cash in severance, owed bonuses and unused vacation that I could have continued my current lifestyle, unchanged, for 9+ months. That's paying my mortgage, car payment, cable bill, everything. Unfortunately, I live in upstate NY and it was February, so getting out of dodge on the bike was a no go. But, I often wonder how long that cash would have lasted me on the road, especially if I were traveling in CA or SA. What if I didn't have that car payment, or that mortgage? I worry that I had my chance and I blew it, and instead was back working in just 3 weeks. I did ski a lot in those 3 weeks of freedom, for what it's worth...

I've been making progress. The house is on the market and I'm looking forward to going back to renting. Less hassle, less tied down. My girlfriend and I are moving to Los Angeles as soon as this place sells. I know the city isn't for everyone, but we really enjoy it there and I'm looking forward to exploring more of the deserts of the Southwest. I've got to get a dual sport!

Anyway, this thread has stirred up some regrets from how I (mis)handled my opportunity a few years ago. I think I'm going to have to revisit them and see what opportunities I can make for myself going forward.

Bravo, man.
    junkyardroad likes this.