No Fumar Español: South from San Diego

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by crashmaster, Aug 31, 2009.

1. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words amigo. Don't beat yourself up too badly. For me timing was everything, the stars aligned and the opportunity just fell into my lap. I had no family or financial responsibilities, no ties to anything, nada. I had no choice but to run with it.

You're going to love riding out west. One bike will not do it all out there, you're going to need a few. Enjoy!

Vin
    junkyardroad likes this.
  2. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    A 250 dual sport will be first on the list. I haven't really ridden off road since I was a kid, and it wasn't much at that, so I want something pretty tame to get my wheels under me. Love the desert and really looking forward to seeing more of it.
  3. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    Hi CM, I realize this TR is from many moons ago, and I presume you are home now slaving away the rest of your working life ..... However I'm only on post #500 so don't spoil the rest of it for me! In reference to your blog . . . where is that? It's not in your sig or your profile. I'd enjoy popping over there for a read as well.

Thanks brother!
  4. crashmaster

Oddometer:
  5. goober noob

goober noob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurkabout halfway through this, very entertaining.....
  6. Joris van O

Joris van O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I Spend the last month reading this at work. Wasn't really productive but started planning my own trip instead, so thanks for that CM :D Finally found the clips you made on your blog today, they got me in a good mood!
  7. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    You're welcome. Glad you enjoyed it.
  8. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    Hola Vicente!
    That is truly a great report. Much obliged. Not just a great story but a great resource with lots of reference material there. I didn't know this was going on at the time. I think it was junyah who mentioned you and your method of feigning ignorance of the language; I found your report, put it on my list, and digested it slowly.

You could have done any number of things with your break from work time and money reserve; this was just brilliant. Many of us have a home life which precludes such a trip, but that doesn't stop us from dreaming about it and maybe arranging to realize a mini version. Pero no hay mal que por bien no venga!

Realistically, I'm hoping to ride around the back roads of Ecuador for a while at some point. Maybe some Columbia and some Peru también. We'll see. My avatar pic is me along a river in Ecuador.

I was rooting for you and Aguedita; sorry that didn't work out. Así es la vida. At least you found out sooner rather than later. Mejor solo que mal acompañado.

I saw all the videos that you hosted on YouTube, but haven't found the trick to get in to see the schizz vids on smugmug. It's too bad they didn't write a simple program to translate all embedded content for the changeover. Wish i could see those early videos.

Anyway, point was to express thanks for your diligence in putting together this great body of knowledge that you put a lot of work and love into. Stay safe in the skies as well as on the bikes. Que Dios lo bendiga!
  9. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for the kind words. It was the best thing I have ever done in my life, hands down. My adventure feels like a lifetime ago, and in some respects it was.

I have been off of adv for a long time and not riding at all due to a little injury I had over a year ago. Recovery is going well and now at the point where I can read and write emails again, so just catching up and following up. Thanks to everyone for all the kind words and I hope you all had great moto adventures!
    SkizzMan, chasbo, GuateRider and 2 others like this.
  10. drrags

drrags Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer:
    If it took you a year to get to the point where you can read and write emails, I wouldn't call it a "little" injury. What happened?
  11. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hola Vincent :wave
    Is great to see your rr bumped back up to the front.

Was a grand time indeed down South, I still have unfinished business to attend to there myself. Had a great time in Colombia hanging out with you, Silviu, and Adam Lewis. Some damn fine amigos!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You meet some of the greatest people traveling on a moto!

Hope all is well with you and yours. I got me a growing little family with little boy and girl now but will be sure and show my little ones all about travel and motos too if they are inclined.

Happy Trails and Blue Skies
    SS in Vzla., knight and ONandOFF like this.
  12. drrags

drrags Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer:
    Well... if we're gonna do reminiscent photos - pondering life over rum & coke and Pringles. We solved a lot of problems that night! :rofl
    [​IMG]
    SS in Vzla., knight and ONandOFF like this.
  13. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Great to hear from you amigo! Man, hanging out with you in Xela seems like centuries ago. Hope all is well with you amigo.

They called my injury a moderate to severe TBI, which basically means that I knocked the living shit out of my brain and spent some weeks in an ICU flirting with edge of the cliff. It kicked my ass pretty good but like I told the docs, I never really used much of my brain anyway so this won't have much of an effect on me. I've been working pretty hard on recovery for over a year and I am super lucky and very happy that I am doing well. Thats about it. If you need to injure yourself I do not recommend this one.

So great to hear from you!

Great to hear from you too Juan!!!!
    larryboy, chasbo, GuateRider and 7 others like this.
  14. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Great to see you posting!
    Siga mejorando. Bendiciones, amigo!
  15. Meatn'taters

Meatn'taters Not any more Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy Cow! All three back to back to back. After 15 years of buying, fixing, farklin' motocross bikes for my three sons, I finally buy a 650 GS for myself. It's summer 1999, I stumble onto this website, then strike gold with this RR. I will never forget it and all of your adventures Crash. Awesome trip and RR. drrags wins best supporting actor award, then cameo appearances by Throttlemeister throughout. All three of you inspired several 30-90 day adventures of my own since, and my upcoming year-long trip to the southern tip in 2020. Sorry to hear about your injury Crash, but happy to hear you're well on your way back.
    Throttlemeister, drrags and ONandOFF like this.
  16. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Meatn'taters likes this.
  17. donnh

donnh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Crash! Great to hear from you - heal fast! Thanks to you my wife and I rode all of Central and South America, twice! We just returned in August from 30K miles and 8 months. Thought of you while staying in Copacabana on lake Titicaca. I wonder why....
    Donn and Deby
    Throttlemeister, ONandOFF and knight like this.
  18. XTWalt

XTWalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thumbs Up Crash! Hope you get yourself headed up. This was an outstanding ride report - an ADVRider classic!

BTW, are you still wearing that shirt?

Walt
  19. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    P1050080 (2).JPG
    Ha, here is a shot from my last ride with Vinny, a section north of Catavina that eventually dumps you out near El Rosario - this was the break in ride for Vinny's 690. Can't you feel the love I was getting for showing the boys this most excellent goat trail... missing my trail time with Vinny.
    ONandOFF likes this.
  20. jlambo

jlambo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Crash, sorry to hear about your injury, glad you are recovering. It gets better, I'm sure you've figured out that time is your friend. My son is 3 years out from an accident that put him in a 12 day coma, among other injuries. He's worked hard and is well, active, and working, maybe even better than before. Glad this popped up again, continue healing...