No Gas

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by KEVINSENC, Sep 18, 2019.

1. KEVINSENC

KEVINSENC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I have let my 2008 GSA sit for about 7 months without starting it. I went out to start it and of course it wouldn’t start, turned over fine since I had a battery tender on it, seemed like it wasn’t getting any fuel. I pulled out the injectors to see if they were clogged and they weren’t, I did notice no fuel came out of the line when the were disconnected. I added about 1 gallon of fresh gas to the tank and this was the result below pictured, you can see were the fuel is puddling at the front of the fuel line. I’m thinking the gasket has gone bad below the locking ring , any thoughts before I start tearing it all apart.

Thanks

. IMG_2208.JPG
    ExodusRider likes this.
  2. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Turn bike off completely and when turning on bike again, listen carefully for fuel pump spinning up .. inside the tank? ( high pitch spin)..

Good chance fuel pump is gummed up / locked up or even dead.

Get access to the pump electrical terminals and apply a 12v source to it a couple of times.. will hopefully break her loose..
  3. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does the bike still wear the OE plastic fuel line disconnects? If so, that may be the cause of the fuel leak - I'm presuming what's wet in the picture above is gasoline.

That issue may or may not prevent the bike from running, it depends upon how much fuel sprays out of the broken QD fitting.

I like the gummed up pump idea above. Sitting for a long time, esp. if the gas included ethanol, can indeed do that.

Your gasket idea isn't impossible, but unless you were inside the tank working on something recently I'd think it long odds that gasket is the problem. Still it's cheap enough to replace; only about a $12-15 part.
  4. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    Beside suspected broken quick connects, you may have broken fuel pump flange - there was a recall that would address that, not sure if you've taken bike in for that to be rectified or not so you may want to look into that...
    mikegc and JR356 like this.
  5. KEVINSENC

KEVINSENC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes its definitely gasoline, and after I clean it out it will fill up the area again with gas. i tried to take a better picture, looks like it may be leaking here at the bottom of the fuel connecting sleeve....

Attached Files:

6. lewisjr1

Oddometer:
    That metal ring indicates either a later model fuel pump assembly, or else is evidence of the recall work having been performed. I forget what production years (and months) that recall covered. Clearly the plastic 90-deg. fittings were reused. That's a shame.

It could be that the female, threaded QD is cracked. They often fail with time & heat cycles.

Alternatively, the plate itself may have cracked for similar reasons. Either way, no bueno. You'll need to verify whether it's the QD or plate that's leaking - the former is easy to replace with a kit from BBY, but the later is hella-spensive.

Relevant pics at post #2 & 3 here... https://advrider.com/f/threads/been-given-a-2004-r1200gs.1407266/#post-38425573
    ExodusRider likes this.
  7. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    LAFS likes this.
  8. KEVINSENC

KEVINSENC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I pulled out the entire pump unit yesterday, from what I could tell it looks like the thread sealant may have corroded over time to cause the leak. I was able to also check the pump while it was out with a 12 volt charge and it spun up ok. Im still wondering if just a slow leak through the sealant could cause a no start on the bike. Is the tank under pressure on the inside and the slow leak was not allowing sufficient pressure build up for fuel to flow...?? Ive attached a pic of the the top of the pump housing and it appears there may be some hair line cracks around the collar they installed on it. Not sure though..Is there anyway for me to bench test the electronic part of the fuel pump shown below...thanks

Attached Files:

9. lewisjr1

Oddometer:
    That FPC is beyond repair - well, maybe an expert with circuits could renew, solder & reseal that supposedly solid state part, but the rest of us would just buy a new one. You can bypass the FPC with a lead from Burns Moto, or you can make your own from any paired wire: lamp, speaker, etc.

Since you've removed the pump assembly already, I'd go ahead and install the upgraded, chrome-plated QD fittings from BBY, MotoBins, or wherever you source them from. I know that BBY provides a tube of thread sealant with their QD kits, and hopefully your supplier will do the same. Regardless, you'll want to use some.

Edit: I see that EME is selling FPC units, now...

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/fpc-776.htm

They offer the chrome-plated disconnects along with thread sealant, as well.
    mikegc likes this.