No GIXXAH! Thread? GSX-R750 & relatives

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by garandman, Jun 8, 2018.

1. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    Thinking about putting race bodywork on my 2016 GSX-R750 as don’t ever ride it on the street.

Seems like the two brands most readily available are Armour, Hotbodies, and Sharkskinz.

Are they available locally or ordered from an outfit like Sportbike Track Gear?

Any “gotchas?”
  2. Subito

Subito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cleric: And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once at the number three, being the third number be reached, then, lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.'
    Brother Maynard: Amen.
    Knights: Amen.
    Arthur: Right! [removes the Holy Pin] One!... Two!... FIVE!
    Galahad: Three, sir.
    Arthur: THREE!
    Bad Dad likes this.
  3. Mtneer

Mtneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My friend has a set of Armour Bodies that is paint blue/white similar to the 2011 paint scheme with a SuperBike tail section with foam pad, I think he wants around 700 for it, it is nicely painted if your interested let me know.
  4. garandman

Oddometer:
    Looks like I’ll stay with stock bodywork. Race bodies don’t fit over the cat: you need to replace it with a mid pipe.
  5. Me and my monkee

Me and my monkee Feels like Jackson Pollock looks

Oddometer:
    Picked up a new suit to go with the new bike (size 42, last one was a 48. Losing weight, a lot cheaper than titanium parts) and headed to N.Ga again last Friday.
    KIMG0463.jpg
    Spent the day really trying to gel with the bike. Even the 600 I feel has too much power up here, at least more than I'm used to. The handling of course is light years ahead of my sv650, but I miss riding the torque. Still, learning to keep mostly to second gear and keeping the revs up gave good results by the end of the day
    KIMG0477.jpg
  6. slugsmasher

slugsmasher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sharkskinz and ArmourBodies (woodcraft) are the best. I'm converting my old K2750 to track only withan armour bodies kit and and vortex fairing stay which deletes the headlight but has a predrilled mount for guage cluster. Got all from Sportbike Track Gear, great vendor.
    Nice stuff.

IMG_20200621_164456102_HDR.jpg IMG_20200620_111426743.jpg
    jjjjjjay and OJ-J like this.
  7. garandman

Oddometer:
    That’s on hold for now as it requires deleting the cat and getting a mid pipe.

Bike is currently street legal so might as well ride if that way for the season
  8. slugsmasher

Oddometer:
    Option 2 = No Crashing.

Other stuff probably more important than body if there is a priority list:
    Engine protection/covers
    Spare clipons/levers
    Rearsets
  9. garandman

Oddometer:
    My bike has Woodcraft axle spools, Woodcraft clipons, and woodcraft stator cover with built in slider. Have a cover to install on the right side, just in case.
    slugsmasher likes this.
  10. garandman

Oddometer:
    Took my bike to NY Safety Track last weekend and was having a great time - right up until 2pm Sunday when I dropped it entering a turn and broke my collarbone.

The GSXR experiment is over for me, putting it up for sale as soon as I can get it out of the van and take pictures.
  11. frostybollox

frostybollox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That sucks to hear... how bad is the bike?
  12. slugsmasher

Oddometer:
    That sucks, get well soon. Hopefully you don't give up, learn from it and move on, everybody crashes at some point. I've slid mine down the track a couple times.

IMG_20170623_175029164.jpg

IMG_20200531_122935501_HDR.jpg IMG_20200604_170208439.jpg
    RiderGary, hypersports and garandman like this.
  13. OJ-J

OJ-J Chillin

Oddometer:
    My K1, I got it a couple years ago for a grand and did a full oem restoration. :-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ray916MN, Stomp347, neerbeer and 8 others like this.
  14. Gapscratch

Gapscratch I love curves!

Oddometer:
    OJ-J...
    I'm really liking the way you roll. You seem to find nice examples of bikes I like and do really good OEM restos. You apparently have a plan. I'd like to see a group shot of your stable, if possible.
    You must have a large garage, I'm envious. Mine is pretty full with 3 motos, a mtn. bike, tools, fridge, etc. I'm currently trying to find room for #4, whatever it winds up being. :D
    Have fun sir!
    OJ-J likes this.
  15. OJ-J

OJ-J Chillin

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir, I wish I had a bigger garage, but it's a problem I've always wanted. :D

[​IMG]
    neerbeer, hypersports and Gapscratch like this.
  16. Gapscratch

Gapscratch I love curves!

Oddometer:
    Cool pic. Thanks. :thumbup
    I like how the lone Suzuki is surrounded by Hondas. Not too tough to guess your favorite marque. I recognize the 'Wing, RC-51 and the GSX-R 750, how about the other two?
    Looks like both are VFR Interceptors maybe?
    OJ-J likes this.
  17. OJ-J

OJ-J Chillin

Oddometer:
    Lol, the lone Suzuki in the stable at the moment agreed, I don't purposely seek them out but yes Honda makes some great bikes! The other 2 are a 2014 VFR800 and 2018 CBR1000RRSP. I look at my current crew as follows, the Wing is for 2up and touring with my wife, she no longer enjoys riding on the back of sport bikes. The VFR is for shorter overnight solo trips and a great commuter especially in the winter months, the CBR is my sportbike for all occasions, and the RC and Gixxer are more my classic older sportbikes that are a blast to ride but mostly just occasional weekend bikes. I had a KTM 500EXC to round out the herd but just recently sold her as all my buddies have moved away from dirt and riding dirt by myself just wasn't as much fun, I do miss the KTM though for hooligan street riding, so fun and effortless to wheelie. :-)
  18. slugsmasher

Oddometer:
    Giggy back on the track after my last crash rebuild. I'm slow but was fun to get back out there. Need a new clutch cable and bionic hand. Put stock levers back on and they are much better than the shorty things the bike had before. K2-750 btw.

Attached Files:

jjjjjjay, hypersports and OJ-J like this.
  19. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    15 day 5,180 mile trip out west earlier this month.

20200615_130654.jpg
  20. hypersports

hypersports Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you deal with the long stretches of slab with the tank bag mounted? Normally without the tank bag there, you can park your left forearm on the tank and get a nice little change for a while. Is that still an option? I had a tank bag on my 1290 SAS and it was too high so I was locked into holding onto the bars in the sit up and beg position. Not ideal when cruising at fast speeds as you're literally holding onto the bars. With my current SDGT and only using a tail bag I can use the tank for a resting point and also use cruise to let my right hand and arm get some rest too.