No GIXXAH! Thread? GSX-R750 & relatives

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by garandman, Jun 8, 2018.

1. pwh

pwh Just Farkin' GO

Oddometer:
    Have you test ridden an S1000XR? There's a pretty skilled dude on YouTube named Cuban Rider who rides one - lots of track day and canyon videos of him on his S1000XR.

2. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never been a BMW fan. looks like a capable bike, but just not my cup a tea. Riding buddy has a Multistrada 1200 S with Skyhook, after putting 4-500 miles on it, not tempted by that either.
  3. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    New bike in the garage.
    2013 GSX-R 750 with low miles!
    Only ridden it a few miles but so far it's making me grin big time! 20210317_154214.jpg
  4. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was Supporter

Oddometer:
    Westwood1987.jpg
    Westwood racetrack up in BC, 6 hour endurance race, July 1987

Top pic is the screwball crew required to pull off a 6 hour. Bike is setup with a large '86 tank to go 1 hr+ between fillups. We had some Metzeler sponsorship after some trouble with Michelins.

This bike was the first GSXR in Oregon in 1985. Ran/raced it stock first year. Then built up the motor with flatslide carbs, Yosh cams, Yosh big tube header. Deleted the starter and alternator for sprint races. Mitchell wheels, custom pistons I decked and clearanced myself, and some other secret sauce stuff at the time. 4th overall season points in '85. 2nd Open Production Beaverton Honda 100 International in '85.

Mid pic is yours truly coasting around turn 2, an off camber lefty with "casebreaker" boulders sticking up from the ground on the outside. I'm in the Langlitz Leathers one-piece goatskin suit, made from Iranian goat hides (pre-ayatollah).

Third pic is cool off lap. Believe the 57 bike is Steve Dick, fast Canuck guy. I think he won. We finished second overall. 57 was overheating (hot day) and would come into the pits periodically to have a 5 gallon bucket of water thrown on it to cool it down, passed him couple times when they were doing that, then back and forth on the track.

What no picture will ever show is the famous Deer's Leap down the back straight. It was a hill about 1/3 down the straight with a red/yellow/green light at the top. If green, stay full throttle, upshift to fifth (or sixth) and lay way forward on tank. Bike would carry an aero-wheelie to the braking mark (if aimed correctly), at least 100 yards. Was a big thrill to do that lap after lap.

We wore through the front brake pads in the last half-hour, kept going on just the rear brake which didn't really slow us down much. The last hour is always tough on everybody, we maintained 2nd overall. Those Ferodo brake pad backing plates with the steel melted/smeared off one end are nailed to the shop wall here.

I pulled the old GSXR out of mothballs around '05/'06 and ran it for the last time at one of our PIR track days. By then I was on a well sorted modern GSXR750.
    I was amazed at how bad it handled (18" rims/tires)compared to modern bike. Just a lot of work to ride at a fast pace, clunky, and felt slow. Lots of progress in bikes and tires over 20 years, and by then I had learned a thing or two about making fast riding easy.

And then there was the 24 hours of Willow Springs, we finished 2nd Open Production with a water-pumper GSXR 750, that is a thread unto itself.
  5. OJ-J

OJ-J Chillin

Oddometer:
    Excellent, thanks for sharing the pics! :super:thumb:thumb
  6. hypersports

hypersports Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @HellsAlien what year were you at Willow? I was there in 93, couple of the sponsored Suzuki guys were running the new water pumpers in 600 Super Stock.
  7. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was there for the 24 hour September '88.
    Rode at 9 & 3. Wes Cooley was on my hour, I'd try to keep him in sight at night, hard to do!

We chatted about night racing. He said "you should be able to ride faster at night because the tires run cooler." No shit! Easy for you to say Wes! Night racing was basically a primal scream event that went on for an hour. Totally draining.

We wound up with 2nd open prod 'cause the liter bike guys had one more tire change than we did. Still the rear was fragged last hour.

It was one of those life experiences that I'll remember when I die!

That race was my K2 mountain equivalent in road racing, anything after that was easy to boring. 6 hour? Ha!

Found pics, will scan a few man yawna.
  8. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    ADDB1D95-0331-4C6B-8B88-720E46BAF735.jpeg D0E9DA87-0AE0-4CCA-B5AF-D3A4923C497F.jpeg I bought this beauty this week. 2021 GSXR1000R 100th anniversary edition.

It is one fast machine bone stock. It won’t stay like that for long, full exhaust and ecu flash planned.
  9. hypersports

Oddometer:
    Beautiful. I want.... :-)
  10. Stomp347

Stomp347 I'll do anything fun Supporter

Oddometer:
    MUST LOOK AAAWWWWAAAY!
  11. OJ-J

OJ-J Chillin

Oddometer:
    NOS oem front n rear rotors n brake lines along with a NOS oem front fender installed on my Y2K 750 restoration, those items are the last of my list to do on this bike, dare I say it's complete and done now. :-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bad Dad, garandman, fecundity and 7 others like this.
  12. Year1911

Year1911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picked up a SW Motech Pro tank bag for my Gixxer 750 about a month ago. The Pro tank bags are a great system. Not cheap, but very nice. Money well spent.
  13. hypersports

Oddometer:
    Looks like I'm back in time man, like in the showroom :thumb
    1greenmachine and OJ-J like this.
  14. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bit the bullet and bought some Helibar TracStar risers for my GSX-R750 this week and installed them along with Pro Grip Gel 714 grips this morning.

Took it out for a 120 mile test ride.
    The combination makes an amazing difference in the comfort level when riding this bike and have now made it so I can ride more than an hour at a time!

Very happy with the results!
    Bad Dad and Stomp347 like this.
  15. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any of you guys have a stock exhaust slip on for a 2013 GSXR 750 for sale?

The used bike I bought has some shorty exhaust can that is just too loud and sharp for my taste so I want to quiet it down.
  16. Mtneer

Mtneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. Mtneer

Mtneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After 16 years, I traded this for a subcompact tractor, all original except for the Brembo M/C and the front wheel is an extra, have the stock wheel and rotors plus the stock brake lines.
    Bad Dad likes this.
  18. ganze

ganze lone biker of the apocalypse

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

2004, Right?
  19. Mtneer

Mtneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2005 20th Anniversary model, original 750 was 1st offered for sale in 1985, the US didn't get GSXR's until 1986, they made this model in both 600 and 750.
  20. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    4,200? mile trip out west.

20210726_164054.jpg 20210725_155111.jpg