No HoW on removing iABS, how can that be?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by drdata, May 5, 2014.

1. drdata

drdata R1200GS

Oddometer:
    Hey all, I guess now that my 05 (r1200gs) is nearly a decade old, and BMW soon moved on (07 IIRC) to a non-power assist abs system, that interest is the i-abs with power assist had faded...

That said, I am really surprised there is no iabs removal how-to posted on the hall of wisdom with a step by step. Maybe seen as too much a liability issue.

I still get the odd brake fault that result in loss of power assist to rear circuit. I believe that while power assist is still working in front the abs function itself is disabled. As much as I wanted to beleive in this system, I admit, I have lost confidence. I would rather watch the road than keep checking for a brake fault.

I did a flush and installed odyssey battery a few years back, hoping it was low voltage or low fluid, but the issue is intermittent and comes back, hitting two times on a 30 mile ride in the so-cal heat this weekend.

No way I am putting 2K+ into a new module. I am aware that module masters rebuilds, but that only nets me another 1 year guarantee.

Aside from some new brake lines and loss of weight in ditching the servo module, it seems the pain point is loosing the spedo. I cannot see my dealer reprogramming as a non-abs...

Searching on "remove abs" did not yield any good hits in first 5 pages. Like I said, i guess this is old news for most.

I would appreciate any links to threads that details the procedure, to include brake line part numbers, which I think are taken from non-abs versions. I would like to make this reversible should a future owner desires.

Also, what is the preferred speedo solution? Mount a gps?

Regards
  2. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
    If there isn't one...you've certainly discovered/reinforced the value of having one.

Presume that YOU'll do a nice pictorial of your efforts and share with others?

Just sayin' if EVERYBODY did a pictorial (from time to time)...ADV would be even more awesome!

You get a little...you make a little.
  3. MassiveLee

MassiveLee Banned

Oddometer:
  4. dfwscotty

dfwscotty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take lots of notes and photos when you do the first one.

You're sweet for offering!
  5. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The new site that they have is hopefully just a work in progress, but several members have had success with...

http://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/

One of my mechanics has also used this company on VW & Audi control units.

Depends on how you like to ride, of course. But this may be one option.
  6. cele0001

cele0001 Instigator

Oddometer:
    I guess it is time for me to open up the controversy flood gates.
    I have removed iABS from my 04 Rockster WHILE IT STILL WORKED.
    I didnt like it. I am sure that ABS feature is nice and it would brake in shorter distance (blah blah, you will die, more blah,blah).
    Here is my experience.
    You need to know if your speedo is mechanical or electronic, before you do it. Do not do the UKGSER procedure since there is an easier way.
    It requires 0$ in parts and maybe 2 hours total first time being scared and all.
    Brake is much better and more "normal" than before. There is no noise.
    I dont have to worry about pushing the bike around the garage and going "oh shit" I am about to go through the wall because now the brake is "deep". Brake feel is always the same.
    If you are still set on repairing it I have hydraulic part sitting in my parts bin.
    Your move.
  7. drdata

drdata R1200GS

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback. I guess like the side stand interlock write up I did for HoW, with a loud and repeated disclaimer the liability issue is perhaps negated...

If I move forward I will consider documenting.

As for the other comments:
    1. Thanks for the ukgser link. I have not been there for some time,.
    2. @ cele0001. can you elaborate on the procedure you alluded to?
    3. I am aware of module master. Not sure its worth it. Besides costs, the best I can hope for is what, working abs for another xx years with likely a 1 year warranty? I had the bike serviced and starting getting this intermittent right around 3 years/20K miles. The system just seems too fragile.

As noted in OP, I believe being abs, my spedo is electric and will stop working when I remove servo module. This seems the one may drawback to loosing abs, well that and instant death at first panic stop... ;)

I believe the only work around is to:

have dealer reprogram bike as non-abs model, which I suspect is not easy.
    use after-market spedo
    mount smart phone in gps mode

Regards

PS> As noted my fail seems to disable rear servo. I normally brake with only front using linked. The last time it faulted my first impression was that my cramp buster had shifted leaving some throttle applied as I came to a red light. IOW, the bike was not stopping as I had anticipated, and this was not a panic stop, but the feeling was a bit unsettling... Given I beleiove the front servo assist remains enabled (abs function is not so clear), I am surprised I could detect the loss of linked rear power assist. This makes me wonder if at time of teh fault perhaps the front servo also cuts out, but is then reenabled at next application.

I no like feeling like I am hitting the gas when its brakes I'm pressing. ;)

Edit: checked MM, seems 5 year warranty, but $750 bones and out of stock:

edit 2:

I searched at ukgser and did not see any write-up/how-to on r1200 iabs remove. I did find a thread that linked back here. This is one of the better threads I know of, so please add more if uyou know them. Ironic I could not find with a local search...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343508&page=3
  8. cele0001

cele0001 Instigator

Oddometer:
  9. drdata

drdata R1200GS

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cele, I do believe my bike is a sept 04 built but sold as an 05 model year, complete with the robo-brakes i.e, power assist servo.

I did locate one of the threads you posted, but disregarded as it as focused on an 1150. I was not sure how applicable the procedure is between 1100/1150 and r1200.

Regards
  10. Steptoe

Steptoe steptoe

Oddometer:

Remove the servo unit. Unbolt the ecu (4 screws) on the side of the servo unit, disconnect (unplug) the wiring holding the ecu to the servo .
    Plug the ecu back into the plug on the bike.

Job done. No cutting of any wires required, and you have your speedo.

Works the same for all 1150/1200 servo models. No need for any cutting of wires or re-wiring. which means it can be simply put back to standard in the future if required.
  11. cele0001

cele0001 Instigator

Oddometer:
    All as above and in my case remove blue ABS relay and kill the warning light bulb in the cluster.
    Steptoe, is there a way to modify the UGKSER DIY to include new information since it is the only DIY on the subject currenty (I believe)
  12. drdata

drdata R1200GS

Oddometer:

That is excellent news and information. Thanks.

I planned to have dealer do the fuel pump recall and have them read fault codes at same time to get their take. I am sure the diagnosis is "new control unit" but maybe they will have a simple fix.

I will go from there and update if I decide to rip it out.

Regards
  13. 100RT

100RT Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. drdata

drdata R1200GS

Oddometer:
    Thanks 100rt, the video was useful.

It was not a GS, and I was a bit surprised to see no mention of speedometer/re-flash, as well as to see him wire in relays for the brake lights.

I guess the relays are one way around using new NO brake switch gear, while also ditching the module electronics.

Regards
  15. Craiger

Craiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mechanical speedometers on R 1150 and earlier bikes so no reflash needed.
  16. Steptoe

Steptoe steptoe

Oddometer:
    Take no notice of that advice. There is no need to cut wires and use relays for the brake lights. That's the "old" way of removing the system, and means you (or the next owner) can't return the bike back to servo/abs if required without major headaches.

:D

Just do as i've posted earlier in this thread.
  17. drdata

drdata R1200GS

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys.

As an update:

bike back from dealer for fuel pump. The servo unit is throwing a low fluid rear circuit fault. They thought perhaps a bleed would help, suspecting trapped air or such, but even with computer that could not get servo to flush rear circuit.

Odd, as the servo runs more or less continuously. The fluid is either not pumping at all, or using some bypass which at least leaves the rear wheel unlocked.

I will be proceeding with the servo-ectimy ala steptoe and report back. Given the servo unit and electronics are in place now and I have no speedo, I am steeling myself for teh same once I split the module. Only saving grace is that lack of module perhaps does not induce the same type of fault and the speedo will be allowed to work.

Regards

PS> The only advantage I see to the "old way" is if the servo module electronics are actually broken. In which case the whole thing may need to go and then either replace switches or use the relays.
  18. drdata

drdata R1200GS

Oddometer:
  19. IndianRider

IndianRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    SF, California area (San Ramon & Castro Valley)
    Thanks a lot for everyone's input.

Just got a $3,400 estimate today ($2,700 module and $700 labor) at Cal Moto BMW in Livermore, California to replace my abs/servo unit on the 2005 RT at 38,500 miles with all routine services performed by previous owner and myself.

Plan to work on this soon and also keep the speedo working. I am assuming if the speedo works the fantastic factory cruise control will work too.