No Italika ft 150 in the USA? Can I buy one and cross it into the USA?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Basquias, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Basquias

Basquias n00b

Oddometer:
    Greetings fellow members...

Not sure if this is the right category to post my thread in for the things im wondering about...

Well, here goes nothing...

I was wondering why there were no Italika motorbikes for sale in the USA, specifically the Italika ft 125 and Italika 150 models...
    I tried researching the matter but only a bunch of websites regarding the bike popped up, but nothing telling me about the reason on why they were not for sale here.

I currently own 2 street legal dirt bikes, but I was looking for something smaller, and lighter where I did not struggle to ride on the street, where both my feet could actually touch the ground and I didnt struggle getting on the bike(Im not a very tall guy), and with a similar built to a dirt bike. It was when I crossed the border from South Texas to Mexico, and went to Electra, that I came across what I was actually looking for, and it was perfect. It was small, and had a similar built to a dirt bike, and best of all, it was cheap!
    I looked for it online for sale in the US, but only Latin American websites would pop out on its sales, with deliveries only in-country, no international. No US websites or sites that at least ship and deliver the bike in US land.

I was also wondering if I could just purchase an Italika ft 150 from an Electra store, famsa store, or Coppel store in Mexico and just cross it over to Texas on my truck, and possibly register it over here.

Or could I possibly purchase the bike, take it to the nearest Mexican post office, tell them I want to ship and deliver it to an address in South Texas, pay the packaging, shipping, etc. fees, and mail the Italika from Mexico to myself in South Texas, USA?

Could I do that?

I was hoping someone who had experience buying foreign bikes exclusive to their native countries, and getting them into the US, then registering them would help me out.

I hope this is possible since I just found the perfect piece to make my riding experience much less complex, and better overall.

I know the italika ft 125 and 150 are not as sporty as the actual dirt bikes. But I just want them to cruise around town. Not to do stunts, jump hills and do backflips or acrobatics in the air lol.

Please help!
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Italika is a Mexico only Chinese brand.
    Doubt you will be able to tag it. If it was that easy then US riders would be tagging 660 and 250 Tenere in the US from Mexico.
  3. Basquias

Basquias n00b

Oddometer:
    Damn. Thanks for your reply... I will search for motor bikes equivalent to the Italika ft 150 and 125 that are sold here in the US.
  4. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    The manufacturer probably did not want to spend the $$ to equip the bike and certify it for US safety and emissions standards. I remember a story from many years ago where a guy went to Canada to buy an non-US market bike (some kind of Yamaha super bike as I recall). He tried to ride it across the border into the US and ended up getting arrested and having charges filed. Not sure how it all ended up.
  5. Basquias

Basquias n00b

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the response thank you for the info.

Oh ... Damn. Well that sucks...