(no longer) Utter Tiger 955i n00b

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Duckworth, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    I sold my W650 Kaw yesterday with the plan of getting something better for longer distance travel suitable for a tall guy (W was way too cramped for much more than local bimbles).

I think the Girlie may be just the thing, and there is one for sale by an inmate in my budget a few hours drive from me.

Can anyone give me any advice or things to look for in a 2001 Tiger? I've read about the fuel line connections and reg./rec. issue. Is that it?
  2. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    Okay, here's a more specific question. Is 40k miles considered high for a Girlie?
  3. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    No. Especially if it has been maintained to any degree.
    Duckworth likes this.
  4. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    There are two 2001's on my radar. Both can be had for slightly over $3k.

Tiger #1 has 28000 miles, seeps a bit of fluids from old hoses, needs a battery and a front tire. Speedo doesn't work

Tiger #2 has 41000 miles, has some desirable accessories, upgraded charging system, a scuff on the tank, and needs a rear tire. One seat pin is broken.

I think I'm leaning towards #2.

I'd consider a Strom too, but weirdly I cant find any near me.
  5. dwarmker

dwarmker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My '01 has just shy of 40,000 miles. The previous owner had upgraded the fuel lines already. I upgraded the reg/rec and did the mod that upgrades the cables to the starter. Recently my fuel pump went out and left me stranded. I found one online for cheap, but I also think fuel pressure regulator went out with it, I'm waiting on a new one at the moment. No issues other than that. I did spend some money on upgrading the suspension, but that wasn't a necessity. Made a huge difference though.

I really like the bike, and it runs awesome! I wouldn't be afraid of the mileage as long as it's been taken care of.
    Duckworth likes this.
  6. Pastaman

Pastaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have seen 885i and 955i with more than 80,000 miles so 40,000 does not sound high as long as maintenance was well done.
    Just bought tonight a grey 955i 2004 (spoke wheels) with 18,000 kms at less than 4000$CAN. Will pick it up in coming days. It had tank and headlight fairing repainted (so decals are gone) because of small accident but other than that looks in great shape. Head gasket, tank fuel connectors and radiator cap changed. Will do the 20,000 checkup and upgrade the R/R with the Mofset and already ordered a centerstand from Twistted throttle.
    Duckworth likes this.
  7. WillRidesOn

WillRidesOn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds to me like #2s been better maintained. The # of mi's aren't as important as the upkeep. I have an 03' and absolutely love it! It'll run thru the turns like a sporty, does well on hwy & still holds it's own when I hit the oil roads. Vstroms can't hang against Tigers :) I don't think I'd put it up against mud/sand but it's great everywhere else. Properly maintained it should go 100k+ mi's over it's lifetime.
    Duckworth likes this.
  8. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    The irony is that I can't find a Strom in my budget around me, but now I'm stalking three 955 Tigers!
  9. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    So, I bought this '01 Girlie (#2 above) from another inmate. He was nice enough to ride an hour and a half to my place in the rain, and then I give him a lift back home. The original owner already did the MOSFET upgrade and Sasquatch mod. There is a volt meter that says about 12v at idle. Lots of good accessories and mods. I'm pretty excited!

Damn, this bike is huge - I'm 6'2" and I can barely flatfoot it. The power nearly made me soil myself when I test rode it. So did the strong brakes. It ain't a Ural. It will take some getting used to!

image.jpeg
    atokad, jimmyx, Angry Pete and 2 others like this.
  10. Pastaman

Pastaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great! Nice ride! Enjoy
    I'm picking up my 2004 in 2 days, taking an overnight bus trip on sunday to a place ~700 kms from Montreal and will ride it back on monday. Hoping the test ride back home will go well :-)
    Just received the Mosfet R/R and ordered centerstand and Heed crashbars. Getting ready for the season.
    RumRunnerGuy and Duckworth like this.
  11. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a nice looking green tiger right there. Very nice indeed.
    Duckworth likes this.
  12. WillRidesOn

WillRidesOn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice move my friend! I hope you have many good mi's ahead of you. They're really very forgiving so long as you stay under 5k rpm on shifts. I wouldn't trade mine for anything!
    Duckworth likes this.
  13. RumRunnerGuy

RumRunnerGuy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on the new (to you ride) the Girlies are GREAT bikes!!!
    WillRidesOn and Duckworth like this.
  14. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    Congratulations as well! Soon you'll be thinking about what color can you paint it (or not) after you get the rectifier sorted!
    The only serious NEGATIVE with these 955 Tigers.....is that they go through tires really fast because of all the riding you do! :D
  15. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    I'm owner #3. The original owner already did the "Sasquatch" mod to bypass the wiring harness. and a bunch of other things (metal fuel fittings, etc.), and the PO installed a mosfet reg/rec. It makes between 12 and 13 volts when idling.
  16. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    I think it looks like Salvadore Dali tried to design a dirt bike, drank a Monster Energy, and then pissed on it. :lol3
    Pastaman likes this.
  17. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:
    Should be good to go for a while, my Tiger just turned over 88,888 miles two days ago. I promised it to my son when it gets 100k on it so he's trying to get me to go for a few long trips.
  18. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    Okay, I finally have had time to get some saddle time with my Girlie after an oil/filter change, a chain cleaning, and a few ergonomic adjustments. I'm really enjoying the bike so far, and it did not take long to adjust to the height and weight.

A couple of questions for the cognoscenti:

1. What is the range? I filled up at 217 miles and it took 3.75 gallons. That's like 57mpg for mixed riding. That is freaking awesome! Is such mileage normal?

2. It was starting kind of hard and would crank a few seconds before it would catch. I'm used bikes catching pretty much immediately. Again, normal?

3. This bike had a MOSFET reg/rec installed and the Sasquatch mod at some point along with a volt meter. The volt meter reads 12-ish at a warm idle and a steady 13.2 when underway. Acceptable?
  19. Dyn Blin

Dyn Blin Irn Bru Lover

Oddometer:
    • I'm a big guy and often travel with some kit in the luggage. I top out about 45MPG, you're seeing some good mileage.
    • The only problems I've had with hard starting related to old plugs, original vacuum lines cracking or old fuel & clogged injectors. There are of course other items to troubleshoot, but those are an easy start. That mileage would tend to indicate there's not much of an urgent issue
    • You'll see variance with electrical load, but anything between the range of 12.5 to 14.2 volts is generally optimal. Under 12.5V seen after the stator is saturated points to something potentially amiss. Nothing you describe would seem alarming, but as you get familiar with your bike you may want to check connector points and clean and apply some dielectric grease. Even here in mild California, aging bikes and connectors can see some corrosion that leads to resistance, heat and lost voltage. It's good news you found the improved R/R set-up- 'means some good maintenance and a prior owner that knew what they were doing.
    Sounds like you found a very nice example.
    Duckworth likes this.
  20. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply.

The previous owner had the bike for a year or two and was running it with the TOR map and a stock muffler with the baffles punched. I installed an unmolested stock muffler that he included. I am wondering if the swap confused the computer a little.

The guy before the previous owner (who posts here and graciously let me pick his brain about the bike) did a lot of the accessorizing and maintenance.

I was hoping for just a bit more voltage. I will check the connections, but I also am wondering about the battery. No idea about its age.