1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

(no longer) Utter Tiger 955i n00b

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Duckworth, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Meanolddog

Meanolddog n00b

Oddometer:
    my 05 pukes a bit. I haven't done the repair yet but I purchased all new lines, had the service manager look it over. his response was, the lines are old, replace them. also there is a small sensor with a copper washer that is showing signs of pukeage.

I'm talking mine on the COBDR in summer 2018, that is why he suggested to replace the lines.

BTW, I would be interested in how you did your RAD screen protector.

Cheers!
  2. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:

I would like to replace my coolant hoses, but they are getting hard to source.

As for the rad protector, I just took a cheap barbecue screen and ziptied it to the engine guards. Super high tech.:lol3
    Meanolddog likes this.
  3. Meanolddog

Meanolddog n00b

Oddometer:
    ive got a great shop here. Donelson Cycles INC. they chased down every line. i just told them "i want to replace all coolant lines and any others involved." they chased them down, placed my order and 7 days later VIOLA'

BBQ screen? split sheet or an actual Grill? i was thinking of a squarish grill and then nip it to shape and size
    Grooster likes this.
  4. Jemezdude

Jemezdude Mountain junkie

Oddometer:
  5. Duckworth

Oddometer:
  6. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    Looks good, but should be at least $600 cheaper, I think.
  7. Jemezdude

Oddometer:
    Sorry, still new to this. It's an '04 with 23K miles for $3590. Looks great, starts, runs and rides beautifully from what I can tell. I'm waiting on maintenance receipts and history from the PO.

Attached Files:

8. Jemezdude

Oddometer:
    I totally agree. NADA with full bags is $3100.
  9. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    Look through the earlier part of this thread for the "Achilles heel" stuff for the 955i (electrical system, fuel line connections). Even if it hasn't been dealt with on that bike, it is fairly cheap and easy stuff, and could be negotiating ammo.
  10. Jemezdude

Oddometer:
    I gotta say, I can't thank you enough for this thread. I've spent two days reading every comment and making notes. I feel encouraged that the 955i in general is a wonderful, reliable bike and empowered to make a good inspection and purchase. Hope I can get some history on this one.
    Munzo and Duckworth like this.
  11. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    You are welcome. I started this thread as an "utter Tiger noob" while I was in your position, and it became an invaluable resource for me as knowledgeable folks contributed.

My Girlie Tiger is one of my favorite bikes I've owned.
    Jemezdude likes this.
  12. abruzzi

abruzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    The photos have the mounts for the side bags, but not the bags themselves? It’s not that big of a deal because the stock bags are small and flimsy, but it could be a good bargaining point. I recently bought a 2002 with 15k miles and all three bags for $3k, but that was private party. They’re great bikes and the couple issues are easily taken care of. Are you in Albuquerque? I was looking for a few months before I settled on the one I got in Salt Lake City. I’ve seen a few come and go in Albuquerque, but they seem to be fairly uncommon around here (I’m in Las Cruces.)

One thing to keep in mind, the aftermarket was always pretty small for the girlie tigers, and today it is mostly dried up. Before you buy, it’s useful to get a sense of what you might want to add (crash bars, luggage, etc.) and make sure you can still get the stuff.
  13. Jemezdude

Oddometer:
    Good catch! It actually has all three factory bags, don't know why they didn't show that in the photos. That was the one thing I decided I wanted in the bike I buy, a full set of luggage. I'm on a budget and don't want to spend big $$$ on bags after my purchase.
    I've seen several girlies for sale in the past few months, mostly in Santa Fe if I remember correctly.
    Thanks for the good advice!
  14. abruzzi

abruzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    As I mentioned, the factory side bags aren’t the greatest. The right side bag has very little space because of the cutout for the exhaust. Also the bags aren’t waterproof. There is a guy on eBay out of the U.K. that sells bag liners, that would be a good way to keep your stuff dry (not that it ever rains in NM). I’d say get them down a bit on price, then go for it. Bobby Js is pretty reputable. If you’re ever down south, pm me. It’s always good to see the old tigers.
    Munzo and Jemezdude like this.
  15. Jemezdude

Oddometer:
    So I just got the PO's maintenance list. Any reason one of these bikes would need a water pump and head gasket at 20K miles??? Makes me want to run away...
  16. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't be too concerned. If it is running right , it must be fixed. A bad water pump can blow a head gasket , but of course , I'm speculating. FWIW , My whole motor was rebuilt at 20K , just how it goes sometimes........ Mine is the 800 , I'm just chiming in.
  17. Munzo

Munzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up on the bag liners, I had no idea they existed for this bike. The bags are my biggest (maybe only) gripe about this bike. The luggage is definitely cut rate. Coming from a VFR these were a huge downgrade.
  18. abruzzi

abruzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah, my plan is to move to Hepco Beckers at some point, but its nice having the stock bags to limit the near term cost, since a full set of bags a racks can easily cost $1500.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PANNIER-LI...GAGE-BAGS-FOR-TRIUMPH-TIGER-955i/182668135755
    Munzo likes this.
  19. Pastaman

Pastaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Head gasket on mine too at 20K. Recurrent problem on several triumph models in early 2000s. The original gaskets were not ideal, replacement is better from what I understood.
  20. Munzo

Munzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those of us who have an early 2000's are there any symptoms we should watch out for?
    Duckworth likes this.