(no longer) Utter Tiger 955i n00b

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Duckworth, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Dyn Blin

Dyn Blin Irn Bru Lover

Oddometer:
    PM'd you with a link to a guide for a deep dive to test all the majority of your charging system components.

If you want to "upgrade" to a series-based alternative, you may spend dearly on this: Compu-Fire 55402 . It's the smallest 3 phase "series" I've been able to source. You can find it for about $50 less on most retail sites. I have it on my girlie, shoe-horned into the stock position, but the leads are long enough to locate it elsewhere. As a series-type, it stays very cool, and I've not had an issue with running some substantial kit- extra lights, GPS, phone charger, heated grip and gear for fall tours.
    WillRidesOn and Duckworth like this.
  2. Sir. Waffles

Sir. Waffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I updated the Tiger to the TOR map with an unmodified stock can go get rid of the surging. The 955's run pretty lean on the stock vanilla map and can be quite jerky around town/two up. As for the the mileage that bike did pretty amazing. I never looked for gas until I hit 200 miles. Riding it I consistently got 45+ mpg, usually averaging around 48-52 mpg.

As for the battery it should be stamped/punched in the label on the side. I installed the last battery when I had it on 7/2012 which was a Big Crank ETX14 from batterymart.com. Also if you take a picture I will tell you if it is the one I installed. It was on a tender anytime the bike was parked when I had it.
  3. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    ^ Thanks again, Waffles. It sure is handy having access to an earlier owner of the very bike I bought! I'll keep the TOR map, since it's running great. I'm really enjoying the bike and it's easy to stay in the saddle for longer periods. I'll likely not get tired of that triple sound when I roll on the throttle either.

The current battery is a cheapo from Walmart or some place, so I suspect that it's weak. I will keep and eye on the volt meter and likely replace before taking a long trip.

Also on my list to make it travel-worthy is a new rear tire and chain/sprockets. Both have a bit of life left, but are worn enough that I don't want to start a long trip with them.
  4. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    If I might pick a brain here? It sounds like we bought the same machine. Same battery issue...same battery. I have just purchased a series R/R and will probably replace the battery as a confidence item.
    My problem is my complete lack of knowledge regarding remapping the FI. Where would one do this?
  5. Sir. Waffles

Sir. Waffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For a Tiger 955i and others http://www.tuneecu.com/
  6. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Thanks.
  7. T

T --------------

Oddometer:
    Had an '05 that had >50k miles when I traded it. Didn't use a drop of anything (well maybe gas) but it ate up a couple stators/rectifiers (yeah they were MOSFIT with the Sasquatch rewire). Otherwise a really fun and capable bike.

They like naps too...

[​IMG]
    wah64apache likes this.
  8. Pastaman

Pastaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, courageous to go in sandy territories with that kind of tires. Humm...thinking about it, not sure knobbies would do much better :D
  9. T

T --------------

Oddometer:
    Had a knobby on the front, but I guess that wasn't enough. :D

High Centered.

[​IMG]
    WillRidesOn and Pastaman like this.
  10. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    I've got a new Full Bore M40 on the way (which is what is on the bike and seems like a decent enough tire), along with a chain and sprocket set. The tire might have 1000 miles left, and the sprockets are just barely beginning to hook. I'm going on a 5000 mile trip in a month, so I'm trying to get it as ready as I can.

I have the battery on a trickle charger right now to see what happens. I'll likely replace that too. The charging seems to be on the low end of acceptable.

When I rotate the rear wheel by hand, it sounds like the tire has dyna beads inside it. Finding out new things about the bike every day.
    Pastaman likes this.
  11. Pastaman

Oddometer:
    I did not know these tires, looks like a great 70/30 profile. We are quite synchronized, bought the bike almost at the same time and now in the same prep stages for coming trips :-)
    Mine is at the dealer for the 20000 kms tune-up. New tires, Mosfet R/R installed and I just received the SW-Motech centerstand and Heed crashbars. And new tank stripes in the mail designed by Slugrider. Going for a ~ 1800 mile trip at the end of June and more to come during the summer. Where are you going? 5000 miles is quite a trip :)
    Duckworth likes this.
  12. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to go from CT to Montana and back; something I've wanted to do since I started riding 20 years ago. I would rather not screw around with tires and a chain in mid-trip. Plus, doing a bit of maintenance is a good way to get acquainted with a new bike.

There are threads around about the Full Bore tires. They are basically an upgraded Shinko 705. Some of the early ones were defective, but subsequent ones get favorable reviews.

Where are you planning to go?
    jimmyx and Pastaman like this.
  13. Pastaman

Oddometer:
    Great trip!
    I'll be doing the north shore of St-Laurence river up to the ocean (Natashquan) at the end of june. And other shorter trips in the summer, Vermont & Maine.
  14. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    I love riding in VT and NH as well.
  15. Cavi

Cavi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    those tires look similar to my metzler toruance tires
  16. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, very high cog indeed.
    I had a silver girlie.
    Wonderful bike in many, many respects.

Sadly I had 2 issues. Buffeting, and I found the high cog like trying to balance a bucket on a stick.
    If you can get to grips with the high cog especially in the gnarly stuff you will have a blast.
  17. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    I was apprehensive about the high COG at first, but I got used to it pretty quickly. All those years with a bloated Kawasaki Concours must've paid off.

The buffeting I'm still working on, it has an MRA screen with the adjustable spoiler, but I'm still looking for clean, quiet air. I have some smaller mirrors which I might try to see if it helps with turbulence.

My battery, after being on a trickle charger all night, is giving me 11.6 volts. Seems weak.
  18. Pastaman

Oddometer:
    11.6V after overnight charge, time to get a new one.
  19. Dyn Blin

Dyn Blin Irn Bru Lover

Oddometer:
    There's an inmate vendor here with a great special on some 60/40 Mitas MC60 front and rear combo compatible with the Girlies. I've only seen tubeless, but sealing the spokes isn't tough. I'd likely ride with a set of tubes on hand just in case. They're generally expected to see 5k miles.
  20. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    I already ordered the Full Bore M40 through Amazon. With free shipping and Amazin points, I paid $24 bucks - not bad!

It's also a tubeless tire, but I assume it's being run with a tube, unless a previous owner sealed the spokes. I guess I'll find out...