1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

(no longer) Utter Tiger 955i n00b

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Duckworth, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Munzo

Munzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well believe I solved it.

The aftermarket alarm system that I’ve never even armed in two years of owning the bike, gave up the ghost. Couldn’t even trouble shoot it because for some reason it’s a German alarm with only German instructions. Something must have shorted inside it causing it to stop the bike from starting. Pulled the whole thing out today, which was on my to-do someday maintenance list.

Bonus now that it’s gone it will no longer slow drain the battery.
    F29CA13A-A9A3-4B46-9E28-6A3AFC9CC886.jpeg

Shoutout to the guy who did the bang up job with all the tap splices. I’ve never seen so many in one place, let alone 3 on the same line.
    hawkbox and Jayell like this.
  2. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:

Are you seeing the Neutral light?
  3. Munzo

Munzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was and I ended up getting it sorted. It was a whole mess of problems, the starter solenoid was shot and the aftermarket alarm system that I have never used went kaput. Pulled the alarm and replace the solenoid and I’m up and running again. Unfortunately, I knackered my clutch safety switch when pulling everything apart, so I’m jumping it temporarily.
    Saltboxlad likes this.
  4. Enthusiastic Newbie

Enthusiastic Newbie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is this thread still active? I just got on advrider, but I'm confused why the thread seems to have been created today, yet it's last post was 2016.
  5. hawkbox

hawkbox 800 (Ironhide!) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I should the last post before yours being Sunday, it doesn't say what Sunday though. This topic has been around a while.
  6. Munzo

Munzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This thread is still hanging in there. Believe it was created in 2016. I’ve been posting as recently as last week.
  7. Enthusiastic Newbie

Oddometer:
    Good news! Glad to hear it. :clap Just got a 2001 Tiger 955i: got any tips or pointers? Just got into adventure riding and I need some advice for tires. I reside in central Florida and I don't know if you're aware, but it's come to my attention that it's crap for off-roading: sand, rain, swamp, and muck. It's seasonal as far as the "muck" goes, but it's thrown me for a loop as far as to what tires to get. And if I'm perfectly honest, I haven't taken it off-roading yet, so I really don't know how it handles in the rough. Unfortunately, this is my primary form of transportation/fun, so it kinda needs to be able to do everything. Is this even possible?
  8. atokad

atokad wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer:
    Uh, it's a 600lb bike with 6.3 gallons of gas up high and a so so suspension. It can do well off road depending on how much you want to muscle it around and if you are ok with dropping it and then picking it up a lot. TKC tires probably the best off road, not for mud though, nothing helps in mud much on these bikes. Certainly not the low fender which will almost immediately pack with muck and cause the front wheel to stop rolling, lock up and slide out from underneath you. Good luck in sand too!

That said, it's a great bike overall and mild off road is most appropriate for the bike. If you seriously want to hit up some harder off road, look into a 17 tooth counter sprocket as the bikes gearing is pretty high in 1st gear for off road. Too much gas and high RPMs to get you going will quickly cause the rear wheel to spin, which is pretty fun depending on the terrain. :D
  9. Enthusiastic Newbie

Oddometer:
    Thank you the great response. Truth be told, I got this bike because the price was right. I've since come to realize that everything you say is correct. Disappointing, but what can you expect with a bike that was built when adv bikes were still an afterthought and novelty? Truly a great reply. I was concerned about the fenders, too. Fortunately, it's not a sticky mud around here, but nonetheless, I think I'll be forced to keep it to more maintained off-roading. I could muscle it, but what's the fun in that?! Any other tips and pointers are definitely appreciated. :amazon
  10. Munzo

Munzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Disappointed... I don't think you will be. I think these old Tigers are some of the best bang for your buck right now. Take a look at this old thread over here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/does-anyone-even-ride-a-955i-any-more.1292624/page-3

Plenty of guys have ran these bikes through the wringer. If you are wanting to ride this bike like a 250 cc dirt bike, yea you might be a little disappointed. But if you're just trying to hit some more adventure / off road riding I think it's a little bit of how much guts do you have?