(no longer) Utter Tiger 955i n00b

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Duckworth, Apr 24, 2016.

1. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This sounds like a good time to hit every electrical connector in sight with contact cleaner and pack/coat it with dielectric grease.
    What does the voltage say with your multimeter?
    Oh yeah, a real horn is a good idea! Every year the car drivers get more dangerous.
    Duckworth likes this.
  2. Pastaman

Pastaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check directly at the battery to get an accurate reading. I just put the Mosfet R/R and the readings at the battery are 13.5V at idle and 13.9V at 3-4000 rpm (not running anything else that the lights), might get 14V or above at 6-7000 rpm. I don't have the Sasquatch mod done from what I've seen. The Sasquatch mod should get you an extra ~ 0.5V on top of my readings.
    As suggested, you may want to check and grease the connectors (volts lost as heat because of bad contacts)

And by the way, you were right, the chain tension adjustment is easy-peasy with the excentric system.
  3. ADVwannabe

ADVwannabe Salty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've just sold mine to a friend with 100k miles on it. Still running pretty strong, but the valves are starting to recess and it was getting through a pint of oil every 1500 miles.

I did the charging system mods and put metal gear disks on it at about 40k. Standard shock replaced, rebuilt the forks myself and bought a second hand Corbin seat for it which was amazing.

I solved the screen problem with a palmer products screen and bracket which just works. Did a lot of gravel miles on it which eventually chewed all the bushes in the back brake, normal wear and tear. Three sets of wheel bearings, again because it was ridden a lot off bitumen.

It is a little unwieldy off road as you'd expect, but a great all roads tourer.

I guess the bottom line is that the one you have should have plenty of life left in it if my experience is anything to go by. All the best with it.
  4. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    My fuse box is missing the cover that has the map of which fuse does what. Can someone kindly snap a pic or direct me to a pic of a Tiger 955i fuse box cover? I think something is amiss here...

My google-fu is weak and all I can find are fuse boxes for other Triumph models.

***Never mind; found a pic. The section bypassed by the Sasquatch mod was still powered, so I pulled that fuse. All the connections are good, tight, and clean.

I'm now more like 13 volts at idle, but it doesn't make more than mid 13's while riding.
  5. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    Okay, after much farting around I've determined that I have a bad reg./rec. The stator checks out and is producing plenty of juice, but when I check at the battery with a meter while revving the bike a little, almost nothing is getting through the reg./rec., which gets almost too hot to touch within a minute or so of idling. The reg./rec. also failed the diode resistance test, indicating infinite resistance in both directions. The current (bad) one is a Shindengen MOSFET unit.

*Other Girlie drivers might find it useful to know that you can remove the reg./rec. WITHOUT removing the tank if you simply unbolt the L bracket that the inaccessible lower mounting bolt is attached to.
  6. T

T --------------

Oddometer:
    Reg/Rec relocation. In the pic you can see where I relocated my Reg/Rec (MOSFIT). Beneath the seat is a bit of a hot spot for an item that needs to bleed off heat. I mounted it with a piece of aluminum backer to act as a heat sink of sorts.

[​IMG]
    celticus and Duckworth like this.
  7. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    I ordered another Shindengen, since it will be plug and play with the current connectors. I'm thinking of mounting it externally like T. I'd like to hear more about how you did that. What did you attach your backplate to?
    Pastaman likes this.
  9. Pastaman

Oddometer:
    Same here and I wonder if the Triumph T2500676 Harness sold with the Mosfet R/R FH020AA is long enough to do so

I ordered mine from http://www.roadstercycle.com/ Great service and fast delivery. He's also selling some adapter plate to relocate the R/R.
    Duckworth likes this.
  10. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    That's good to know about an available adapter plate. The one I made fits, but it might be too flexible.

The remounting location next to the powerlet jack is actually closer to the stator plug than the original position, so wire length should be good unless the wires to the battery are unusually short.

I didn't realize you were having the issue too - or are you doing this preemptively?
    WillRidesOn likes this.
  11. Pastaman

Oddometer:
    Ok. No issue with the stock R/R but I upgraded to Mosfet as a preventive measure :-) I haven't done the sasquatch mod though.
  12. Pastaman

Oddometer:
    A new mod today, just received Mustang footpegs (clear powdercoat), "deluxe" model.
    Looks great!

[​IMG]
    WillRidesOn and Dyn Blin like this.
  13. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    Hey, I have those. Didn't realize they were aftermarket until just now when you posted that - haha.
    WillRidesOn and Pastaman like this.
  14. cjmadura

cjmadura Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Both my 2002 and 2006 were great bikes, real brutes. In the end, I decided to get a better "road "bike, since the Mighty Tiger was always a bit of a compromise. It looked like an adventure bike, but was way too top-heavy for off-road work. On road it was comfortable, but it's handling was hobbled by the long-travel suspension and tall CoG. Overall a really good bike, almost a Jack of all trades, but clearly a master of none.

I sold my 2002 for the later model & threw a ton of cash and "farkles" at my 2006 in order to make it a great pavement-only machine. In the end, I sold it for my K1300S as the Tiger was never going to be a great Sport-tourer. The buffeting was brutal, the brakes were so-so, the suspension was too soft (even after the mods) and "clunked" enough to drive me mad. I'm 6'4" and found if I was even slightly leaning the wrong way at a stop, it would not take very much to drop the bike, especially with a full tank. I kind of miss my Caspian Tiger, but I'm glad I moved on. My latest bike is such a sophisticated machine.

I rode Tiger 955's for a full decade and saw a ton of the American West on them and they were great, unique bikes but had their limitations. It's hard to beat that triple snarl for sure, and far superior to the 800's note. I found the Tigers to be dead-reliable. My only failure was the R/R @ 30,000 miles, which seems typical and easily remedied. Best of luck to all who ride these beefy bikes. :clap

My 2002
    [​IMG]

The 2006
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The replacement
    [​IMG]

:beer
    wah64apache, Dyn Blin and Pastaman like this.
  15. Pastaman

Oddometer:
    That's quite an upgrade ! For sure a great sport-tourer! Considering the price of a used Tiger those days (some with low mileage), this is a great compromise to enter the world of "adv" bikes IMO.
    At least that was the reason that pushed me toward this bike AND its engine also!
    WillRidesOn, Duckworth and cjmadura like this.
  16. Dyn Blin

Dyn Blin Irn Bru Lover

Oddometer:
    I remember your 2006- IIRC you spent a good amount of time & research getting the color of the top-box exactly right. I always admired your windshield set up as well.

She was a beauty, likely one of the best examples I've ever seen of the last year of the Girlie.

Of course, the new girl is something, too.
  17. Dyn Blin

Dyn Blin Irn Bru Lover

Oddometer:
    He does great work- they were just what my old tired knees needed with that little bit of extra drop, & a secure platform for standing stretches on the road.

If you haven't yet, pick up one of his valve shim removal tools. Similar great work and invaluable for self maintenance at a fraction of the price of the dealer tool.
    Pastaman likes this.
  18. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    Installed my new reg/rec tonight. Voltage has improved to almost 13 at idle and a stable 13.5 at higher rpms. I wish I were seeing the 14+ that some folks report, but I'll take it.
    Pastaman likes this.
  19. Pastaman

Oddometer:
    Getting better but isn't that a bit low with the Sasquash mod? Did you check if the mod was done properly?
  20. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    I examined the Sasquatch bypass carefully when checking everything. It looks right, although the wiring is a foot longer than it needs to be. I might shorten it.

I'm also wondering how the dash voltmeter is wired in. If it is wired in after a headlight for example, would that make it give a false low reading?