(no longer) Utter Tiger 955i n00b

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Duckworth, Apr 24, 2016.

1. WillRidesOn

WillRidesOn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Alan, I'm no good in the elec. dept so I'd like your input. My bike's never had a sasquatch mod, R/R upgrade or stator swap but I'd like to add a power source for gps & phone charging. I assume it makes good voltage as it's never failed me yet, but should I increase the voltage if/when I start running add-ons?
  2. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    I'm far from an expert, but I've learned a bit from working my way through the charging stuff.

I say don't mess with it if it's working fine. However I'd at least wire up a voltmeter if you're going to run accessories so you can monitor your power use an manage it accordingly (i.e., shut things off when idling in traffic, etc.). That said, I don't imagine charging a phone or running a GPS draws much compared to heated gear or aux. lights and such. If you feel like you need more juice, the Sasquatch mod gains most folks about a volt.

I ran a 45 watt heated vest and heated grips at 70% on Friday morning on the way to work, and the volts didn't drop at all. Steady 14.3
    WillRidesOn likes this.
  3. WillRidesOn

WillRidesOn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, thanks! I'll start by attaching another volt meter w/ good read out to see what it's generating. I've got the factory heated grips & they've never caused a problem running high or low, but one time it died and being kinda old school I figured I could simply jump it off my truck battery & go for a ride. It took me 10-15 mins running the truck before it'd fire, then about 4-5 blocks out it died & I got the pleasure of pushing it home... That gave me some concerns about the charging capacity, but so long as the battery's up everything's been fine.

I like to run my high beams during daytime to be safe and if I'm charging GPS, a phone & possibly heating grips I don't want to pull it down.
  4. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    The Bubba-tech method is to pull the fuse for one headlight and run in cyclops mode to gain some power back.
    WillRidesOn likes this.
  5. dftuttle

dftuttle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got my '04 Girlie 5 years ago & would do it all over again, so I figured I'd chime in too. When I bought her, she had 18k miles & now she is just over 52k & the only issue I have had is a dead battery.
    Allan, it appears yours has the same Touratech crash bars that I have. I have Mustang's foot pegs too.
    I have tried 2 different Corbin seats & hated them both. The one that came with the bike was too tall (PO was 6'6". I'm 6') & the 2nd was low enough but was like sitting on a board. I finally had the stock seat recovered by Seat Concepts & it's perfect.
    The bike also had a Cee Bailey's windshield along with the stock one & neither were to my liking because of the buffeting. I went with the taller windshield that Touratech used to offer & it is acceptable. I have read that mirror extenders also help, but I haven't tried that yet.
    Hands down the best upgrade I have done is installing LED headlight bulbs from Cyclops. These are amazing. They really make up for the lousy reflector in the Girlie headlight assembly.
    The only thing I wish for is antilock brakes for the 20 or 30 rainy days we have. Other than that, I'm happy!
  6. Pastaman

Pastaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you mind sharing the reference # for the Cyclops bulbs? Are there a straight forward fit? Thanks
  7. Dyn Blin

Dyn Blin Irn Bru Lover

Oddometer:
    Grooster and Pastaman like this.
  8. dftuttle

dftuttle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is Cyclops Part Number CIL-LEDMD-H4. They call this a 3800 lumen H4 bulb. It's pretty much plug & play. You will have to tie the module up behind the headlight assembly.
    And they are a supporter of this site & you can get a member discount.
  9. Pastaman

Oddometer:
    Great thanks to both of you!
  10. WillRidesOn

WillRidesOn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thx dftuttle! I installed Phillips xtreme +130% bulbs in mine. Not quite as crazy as LED but they're much brighter than stock. I may have to try a CBailey screen b/c I'm 6'6" and my head gets buffeting like crazy at 70+ mph. I'd also like a link to those crash bars if anyone knows a good vendor. I dirt-napped mine in the flinthills this past weekend so I think it'd be well invested.
  11. Pastaman

Oddometer:
    I've put Heed crash bars on mine. Good protection of the tank, perfect fit, great quality, cheap compared to other products. Many users happy about them. Also a good option to attach side bags. Here is the link http://www.heed.com.pl/index.php/en/crash-bars-heed-triumph-tiger-955-bunkier-en
    Delivered in 10 days from Poland.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    WillRidesOn likes this.
  12. Pastaman

Oddometer:
    I've installed the laminar lip on the stock windshield and the result is pretty good. More efficient at reducing the buffeting than what I expected. It is way quieter now and less turbulences.
    However, the installation was not straight forward and I'm not fully satisfied with the fitting. Even when bending the lip, it is really difficult to find a position at which you can have the three 3M dual locks pads (provided) align perfectly with the 3M dual lock pre-installed on the lip. It didn't move at all at 140 km/h but I think I will secure it with nylon screws/washers (2 on each side should be enough) because the top 3M pads are partly sticking together. In the end, this is a good and cheap option (85$).

[​IMG]
    WillRidesOn likes this.
  13. Dyn Blin

Dyn Blin Irn Bru Lover

Oddometer:
    That looks very good.

I have that solution on an old Cee Bailey's screen. I finally secured it with hardware and removed the "dots", and added a stabilizing bolt through the center. Looks very Franken-screen, but I use it for multi-day slab tours, and it helps quite well with noise and buffeting. I swap the shorty-Vario back on for around-town and commuting.
    Pastaman likes this.
  14. wah64apache

wah64apache Older Than Dirt

Oddometer:
    Pastaman likes this.
  15. Pastaman

Oddometer:
    First time I tried the laminar lip I had the tank bag and my open face helmet which could affect the buffeting. Today without the tank bag and with full face helmet on, I can confirm that the lip works really well. I can keep my visor open at 110 km/h an it is pretty quiet! :clap
    WillRidesOn likes this.
  16. ivantheterrible

ivantheterrible Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this has been beaten to death, I have been reading this thread, but I started a long time ago and my memory isn't what it used to be.

Does the tiger 955i share the same engine as the Daytona and the speed triple? They're both 955i'S but maybe different? If so, any other parts?
  17. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    My knowledge is limited but I believe they share the same motor but change the cams for more HP. They then bolt up the appropriate frame to the engine with the cams and I assume gearing to get the most out of the machine for the purpose intended.
  18. ivantheterrible

ivantheterrible Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for the reply. I was looking at a tiger 955 and was trying to figure somethings out. It looked like a good bike for a good price, but it was many hours away and the person who was selling it wasn't very confidence inspiring, so I decided to pass.
  19. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is where it can get a bit confusing, the Tiger 955i used the 2nd Generation 955 engine which didnt get put into the Daytona and Speed Triple until a year or two later. But even then although outwardly similar the cam set up is actually quite different, 2nd Gen Speed Triples and Daytonas have shim under bucket as opposed to the Tigers shim on bucket. In a nutshell as far as I can tell, Tigers got the 2nd Gen block with 1st Gen head and cam set-up, f... knows what Triumph were thinking.
  20. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    Okay, so I just rode my Tiger from Connecticut to western Montana and back. 6000 miles in eleven days. The bike ran like a champ the whole time hauling me and my camping gear, and was all-day comfortable, although a bit better wind protection would have been welcome. Awesome trip!

The one issue was oil consumption. I had Rotella T6 5w 40 in it on the way out, and it used a quart every 1000 miles or so. Yikes! I decided that the oil was too thin for that type of riding (all day multiple days on the expressway at 70-80 mph).

I changed it to Mobile 1 10w 40 for the return trip. This is what the manual recommends. Oil consumption was reduced, but still significant. This is expensive stuff to be buying extra quarts between changes.

It's a 15 year old bike pushing 50k miles, so I'm sure it's a bit loose inside. Would a heavier oil help? Maybe a
    15w 40 like Rotella T5 for diesels, or a 20w 50? What do you all think?
    WillRidesOn likes this.