(no longer) Utter Tiger 955i n00b

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Duckworth, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Pastaman

Pastaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish issues would be always that easy to fix :) Topped the half-full tank with fresh gas and the problem was gone in less than 2 minutes. Thanks! Now need to ride to get rid of the bad gas left over.
    Duckworth likes this.
  2. Dyn Blin

Dyn Blin Irn Bru Lover

Oddometer:
    Throw in some SeaFoam or Stabil, it'll help mix and help keep the water from migrating through the tank and getting stopped at the clear coat, casuing bubbling.

Better yet: Drain the tank. Easy to do from the balancing pipe's on either side of the tank. Always better to get rid of the bad gas than try to force it through. If there's water, there's likely other detrimental contaminants, too.
  3. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    It's awesome when it's easy, isn't it?

My check engine light finally went out after the fourth ride. I know it was meaningless, but it was driving me to distraction.
    Pastaman likes this.
  4. Pastaman

Oddometer:
    Cool, these little gremlins are always anoying.
    Mine has now a tendancy to run hotter, temperature gauge reached the red zone when entering city traffic after a highway ride tonight. Almost 90°F outside but concerning enough to check what is going on. Fan is kicking in as expected. I still have some of this bad gas in the tank but can't explain this overheating. My coolant is just at the minimum level but no leaks. Will flush the liquid coolant and replace it by engine ice coolant.
    I will also do my oil change and use full synthetic 10W50 which will be better for hotter temp.
  5. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    I added coolant up to the high level, which shouldn't make a difference but makes me feel better. Could you have gotten air in there somehow?

Mine runs with the gauge just above the Cold line under normal conditions, and creeps up to the middle point if stopped in a traffic jam or something.
  6. Dyn Blin

Dyn Blin Irn Bru Lover

Oddometer:
    If the fan is kicking in when expected, and there is no air in the system, checking thermostat is as easy as removing it and throwing it into a pot of boiling water to see if it opens.
    Pastaman likes this.
  7. Pastaman

Oddometer:
    Thermostat was changed less than 2 years ago so I would suspect air got into the system.
  8. Pastaman

Oddometer:
    Well, the side of the radiator with the thermostat is hot and the other side is cold. Coolant pissing out when hot. The liquid does not circulate so the thermostat, rad cap or the pump are toasted.
  9. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rad cap is a common failure, personally I always go for a genuine Triumph one. Stats dont go bad that often, I recently changed mine but tested the old one out of interest and it was fine.
  10. Pastaman

Oddometer:
    Well to be safe, I ordered both. Will be changed by the dealer in few days.
  11. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    Oil consumption update.

I've put about 800 miles on since my cross country trip doing local riding on secondary roads, errands around town, and a few state forest dirt roads. I checked my oil today and it was down only a couple of ounces.

So apparently my Tiger sucks down almost a quart of oil in a thousand miles of fast, all day freeway riding, but it barely uses any during side road riding.

I get that the freeway riding has the motor working harder but don't quite understand why there is such a large discrepancy.
    Dyn Blin and Pastaman like this.
  12. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    My 1100 Shadow did the same thing. Loved oil on long interstate pulls (500-700 mile days) running cross country , did it twice on that bike. Used enough oil to justify bringing it along. Never used a drop around town. Go figure.....
    Dyn Blin and Pastaman like this.
  13. Pastaman

Oddometer:
    I think mine has the same behaviour, mostly consumming oil on highway and high RPM riding on fireroads.

It turns out that after replacing thermostat, radiator cap and making sure water pump is A1, the overheating problem is unresolved pointing towards head gasket....that is going to be an expensive one.
  14. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    Uh-oh...
    Pastaman likes this.
  15. Dyn Blin

Dyn Blin Irn Bru Lover

Oddometer:

Long slab rides can create a few conditions that may make increased consumption a factor:

Long, sustained rides allow the engine to heat the whole engine case (which is good from an efficiency standpoint), loading the oil thermally, leading to thinning.

Our shared oil in the crankcase leads to shear and thinning much more quickly on long slab rides.

Those rides include consistently high vacuum without the variation in vacuum in around-town riding and idling, creating more opportunity for thinned oil to be pulled out through the valves/seals/guides and piston rings. The old salts used to call this “windage” consumption at the track.

Shorter trips allow the volume of oil to be affected by fuel and water, which is burned off more consistently at sustained engine performance seen at on long highway trips.

When we used to track Daytonas on the same engine, we’d a lot of oil get pulled through the breather tube into the airbox to be presumably burned through the intake, to the point that many bypassed the airbox into a catch bottle. The amount of oil collected was surprising given the high maintenance level on these bikes.

Hell, I "comsume" a bit more of everything than I did 10 years ago when I was "newer". Some of our 955i's are will soon be closer to 20 years old than 10. I'll bet most of us will still be riding them. Great engines and bikes, despite their quirks.
    jimmyx, Pastaman and Duckworth like this.
  16. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    Interesting explanation. My air box was dry when I adjusted the valves. I should check the hose (not that there'd be several quarts hiding in there).

It doesn't really dampen my enthusiasm for the bike any; I just need to expect it and plan accordingly when doing long freeway stints, and maybe use a heavier oil for those rides.
    WillRidesOn and Pastaman like this.
  17. Dyn Blin

Dyn Blin Irn Bru Lover

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't expect it to pool, at those levels, it's going to be more of a "mist" that gets sucked into the throttle bodies.

It's not an uncommon practice to bypass the hose to the airbox and cap it with a racing-type cone filter. I recall the 885i's having the hose go to the airbox only for emissions requirements when the design was implemented, no other purpose was served.

If you’re the tinkering type, you could test it with a bypass. Remember to plug the open lead to the airbox to prevent unfiltered air intake. Cone filters can be found on the cheap that fit the hose.
    Duckworth likes this.
  18. benjbeiler

benjbeiler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess all bikes are a lil different...I'm doing a cross country trip right now, left Los Angeles CA Wednesday afternoon and am in Pennsylvania now, so some long, mile heavy days...80+MPhil on and on...used about one half quart of oil in 3000 miles. Mine is a 2001 955i and I use t65w40 synthetic.
    WillRidesOn and Pastaman like this.
  19. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    Jealous.

Hope you're having a good trip!:ricky
    WillRidesOn likes this.
  20. benjbeiler

benjbeiler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am having an awesome trip...thanks
    1 question...how often do you guys that use t6 5w40 in your tigers change the oil? trying to decide if I should change it tomorrow...it has about 3k miles on it now, and I'll put about another 3.5k on it before returning home
    Just trying to decide if 6.5k is too many miles between changes