No love for electric motorcycles?

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by emtkopan, Sep 23, 2016.

1. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    Let me guess, you own a Harley
    YamaGeek and Crocker like this.
  2. Mat

Mat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here, future proof. You're welcome.

[​IMG]
    kwisn, YamaGeek, Off the grid and 4 others like this.
  3. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    You're correct about the renewable purchase programs in that the money one pays goes directly toward generation of electricity by a renewable source. My point was that just because one is paying for energy to be generated by a renewable, doesn't necessarily mean that the energy one uses is actually coming from a renewable. As you said, electrons are electrons, and they follow the path of least resistance; in simple terms, the electricity you use comes from whatever source is closest to you and producing electricity at the time.

What I'm really getting at, is many people don't understand the distinctions between how electricity is generated and distributed versus how it is metered, bought, and sold. And many people are naive enough to believe something along the lines of, "Well, I pay only for electricity from 'Generator-X,' so every 'Generator-Y' can be shut down tomorrow and I won't be affected at all." In reality it's very possible that if "Generator-Y" shuts down tomorrow there may not be sufficient generation/transmission/distribution infrastructure in place to take up the load where many of these people live, and these people might find themselves in brownouts or blackouts...even though "Generator-X" which they pay for is still producing electricity.

I agree, e-bikes can stand on their own merits and their time has come (even if all the technology is not fully mature). I think MX tracks in the middle of a residential area will probably still be a hard sell...because next to noise dust is the next biggest complaint people have about this kind of thing.
    Mat likes this.
  4. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    4 k electric bike for commuting would be the sweet spot for me. At 16k is too rich for my blood.
    Lutz and YamaGeek like this.
  5. bongodave

bongodave Fixing Stupid

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to the day I can realistically buy an electric bike. Make them lighter and with better range (as they're doing), and you'll have a great ride.
  6. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    In this part of the country it would be hydro, with all it's enviro impacts. Frankly don't understand why wouldn't work to make a less expensive small engined hybrid bike.
  7. tallpaul63

tallpaul63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What I know about electric motorcycles is based on magazine articles and industry promotional stuff. But...I do happen to live a mile or so away from the headquarters for Zero motorcycles, and some time in the spring I'll take a test ride on one of their bikes. Just to satisfy my curiosity; I suspect I'll find the cost and range limitations would keep me from being interested, but I think it will be fun to take one for a spin!
  8. configurationspace

configurationspace delooper

Oddometer:
  9. Tweaker

Tweaker ...

Oddometer:
  10. configurationspace

configurationspace delooper

Oddometer:
    Electricity here is 90% hydro-electric, with natural gas and biomass thermal rounding out the other 10%.
    NikonsAndVStroms likes this.
  11. racermx66

racermx66 Suzuki

Oddometer:
    I would buy that bike. Not sure of the range though. The way companies are focusing their attentions on battery technology, it won't be too long before they'll have a battery that can be fully charged in a couple of minutes, smaller and lighter than they are now, and have a decent range.
  12. onurleft

onurleft OTR

Oddometer:
    Longest sustained climb i did on a mtb was 3K gain in 6 miles. Thought my eyeballs were bleading at the top. Some assist would have been nice.
  13. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    There was a time in my teens when I liked noise. Then I grew up. :deal

Hot-rod noise is impressive... at the track. For a little while.

Even the jet engine makers have to deal with commercial aircraft noise regulations, and regulations or not, their sales depend on it due to the ever increasing number of literal imbeciles who decide they have to live at the predominantly upwind end of an airport runway, then spend their useless lives complaining about the balls-to-the-wall airplane noise.

All this does is make me think more about how an H-D electric is gonna be an epic FAIL. I know there was a lot of optimism and enthusiasm during their preview test rides, but they can't make a profit on a few hundred open-minded folks. H-D has been selling The Lifestyle for a long time. Their bikes are gonna end up in the showrooms' darkest corners and the salesmen and women will be busy showing people ICE bikes because whether or not that's what the customer wants, that's what they've spent lifetimes believing the customers want.

Of course H-D isn't the only game in town. And if it weren't for weekend mileage demands, I'd probably have an electric already. Even if the bikes currently available do need a little refinement still.

Forgetting about H-D, the one encouraging thing is that for the most part, enthusiast magazine reviewers who traditionally write that their first modification on any bike they've had for long-term use is an aftermarket slip-on or even full system, have been very good with not whining about the lack of exhaust noise on the electrics.
  14. -E-

-E- Klaatu barada nikto Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it was below 8K and got 200 miles of highway on a charge I would get one. Even if carrot top has one. Why does if have a tank?
    [​IMG]
  15. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed American Anti-FAscist born and raised. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Circling Sagittarius A* in spaceship Baltimore
    Specs on these machines are impressive. I love the idea of having a few obstacles and offroad fun in a tight neighborhood where bike exhaust noise would be a deal breaker.
    Check the specs. Power, miles, torque and HP are impressive to say the least.
    http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/
    Bucho likes this.
  16. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would get one if my commute was shorter.

Does anyone make a bigger tenere size bike with a fairing yet?
  17. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Electric vehicles are political correctness gone mad. The technology is expensive, materials like rare elements are tearing up the land through mining and most of the energy stored in these hi tech batteries come from burning fossil fuels. They make little sense as they are performance driven rather than utilitarian. Unless they are charged from renewable sources, wind, solar etc..they make no sense.

Vehicle manufacturers should be focusing on improved mpg, if Honda can produce a car the does 2000+mpg, that tech should be on the road. Oil is big business, so many patents have been purchased and never implemented by. Cost of running is only proportional to the difference in efficiency from the petrol engine and electrical power plant.

The elephant in the room is hydrogen. Using alternative energy to produce, in a combustion engine there are no imitations, with good performance. I read some years ago about some tech for splitting water on the fly for use in a combustion engine.....power source was solar. No...well every living plant does it every day and so efficiently. US/UK submarines use nuclear to split water....that's why they can run indefinitely without surfacing, not just batteries.
  18. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    There will never be a hydrogen powered vehicle that produces it's own fuel from water on the fly. Physics won't allow it - or rather, it would make it an immensely stupid idea. Matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed. It will take a certain amount of energy to split those water molecules, and due to inherent inefficiencies in any process, you will get a little less than that out when you ignite it. You'd be better off taking all of that solar energy you just made and power an electric motor.
  19. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was some time ago, the gist was some kind of resonance chamber. The panels were for creating hydrogen at rest as well as being driven. Hydrogen would make an excellent fuel source if it was possible, conventional engines and the only by product water. You would only need a fraction of that hydrogen for a fuel cell. Electrolysis as you say is a loss.

If we could synthesise the process of photosynthesis, which uses sunlight at an atomic level...to produce sugar and o2, it would be an energy revolution.

If the motor industry could produce a vehicle that did a 10/th mpg of these competition cars....be a start.

http://www.shell.com/energy-and-innovation/shell-ecomarathon/asia/live-results.html#iframe-L2FzaWEv
  20. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer: