No love for electric motorcycles?

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by emtkopan, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Ragin Rabbi

Ragin Rabbi Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
  2. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed American Anti-FAscist born and raised. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Circling Sagittarius A* in spaceship Baltimore
    The future is going to be dark and very hard for you to understand. You might want to remove your head from your ass.

Roam and AllSeasonRider like this.
  3. BMW Kurt

BMW Kurt Philosopher

Oddometer:
    Democratic Republic of the Disunited States
    Loud transistors save lives!
  4. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The future is bright, but not enlightening from you. Hey sparky....
  5. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    I believe that riding at 70 mph on the freeway these days, you are certainly to be run over by an old lady in a Buick.

:lol3

I have been totally out of the loop on electric bikes lately. Has lightning ever started to sell bikes??

Is Zero still the #1 game in town?

Having a newborn is hard on my motorcycle hobby
  6. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I think the idea in a Vespa type package is perfectly suited as an urban runabout, commuter, etc.

For any riding recreation or travel, range and charging time limitations come into play. If it weren’t winter, I could get on my motorcycle tomorrow morning and be in Seattle tomorrow night without batting an eye. Not so with any electric bike or car. Yet anyway.
  7. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not bikes. You can do it with a Tesla as there are enough Superchargers between Edmonton and Seattle. Might be late night as you'd have to add about 4 hours for charging along the way. I you want to go to Saskatoon or any other place east you'd be screwed.
  8. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe Lightning has sold a few.
  9. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    I love em, I'd love em a lot more at 2/3 the price and we'll likely be there in a decade with more power/range.
  10. ninjamunky

ninjamunky ¡Que buenos son! Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's too bad that Polaris decided to can Victory, the empulse looked like a promising bike. Whatever happened to the electric moto that HD was supposed to be releasing?
  11. Drifter

Drifter Long timer

Oddometer:
    They make diesel KLR's that can get 96 miles per gallon. Why would anyone want a electric motorcycle that MIGHT get 70 miles on a charge?
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  12. ninjamunky

Oddometer:
    I think they would be awesome for daily commuting. 70 miles is more than most people travel in a day.
  13. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    Well first of all, it's a KLR! And stop abusing apostrophes!

In cities like mine, diesel is about 10% more expensive, and harder to find. And seriously, fuck diesel.

For city travel, nice thing is when you're not moving you're not wasting energy on reciprocating bits and all those frictional losses. Just LED lights. The range only starts to drop at highway speeds! So don't be so skeptical.

Or you could buy the heavier bike and get more range.

But for most commuters, that 70 mile range is much more than enough.

Not a solution for everyone but it's more practical for a lot of folks than one might think.
    MeinMotorrad and scottdc like this.
  14. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    I'd love an electric motorcycle. But the only thing i have seen that was affordable was zev electric. I do have a friend with a zero electric and he loves it and rides it everyday to d.c. from woodbridge. I would like to buy a used zero if the prices keep coming down. Right now it's very difficult to justify the high price.
  15. Tenacious B

Tenacious B Long timer

Oddometer:
    My hands are very sensitive to vibrations and I like low end torque, so I'm definitely looking forward to electric motorcycles.
    RCmoto likes this.
  16. tokyo

tokyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My electric experience..

I saw an electric car for super cheap sitting on a dealer lot. Took it for a spin and the low end torque surprised me. It only had 83 miles of range though, no way that will work for me!! I thought, what if I want to drive to Vegas? and walked away. But I couldn't get that torque and quiet efficiency out of my mind.

No head gaskets, timing chain/belt, sparkplugs, oil changes I kept thinking.. so for 4 weeks every day I would reset my trip meter at night to see how many miles I drove. The answer was 40-60 miles a day and 0 trips to Vegas. So I went back and luckily the car was still there. I lowballed the dealer and he accepted.

I have been driving it for ~9 months now and am absolutely a fan. For 99% of my needs it works perfect. For the 1 trip to Vegas we drove my wife's car. It is an excellent 2nd car BUT only because it was cheap (<$9k) still has 4yr/70k of warranty left and is fun to drive. I went from $150 a month in gas to ~$15 month in electricity. It is a great sleeper too, I win 95% of the stoplight races.

I test drove a Zero and it was the same feeling but too expensive. When the price comes down I'm all over it as a commuter.

Just like any other bike you need to make sure it fits your usage needs. Just like you don't buy a supermoto for iron butt competitions you don't buy an electric for long distances. For me and my boring life of back and forth to work weekdays and short canyon trips weekends it will work 95% of the time. But not at $15k.. maybe $7k.

If you get to put more than 60 miles (223 for the big zero) a day on your bike than electric is not your bike. And I am jealous and hate you.
    RCmoto, PA1018, Bucho and 1 other person like this.
  17. ninjamunky

Oddometer:
    Was the car a Nissan Leaf? I've been eyeballing those for a while now. Used ones with not that many miles go for pretty cheap.
  18. Crilly

Crilly Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look up Toshiba titanium lithium battery’s. A year or two we’ll make a big difference.
  19. tokyo

tokyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I is a Chevy Spark EV. 2014 with 30k miles and the motor/battery are under warranty for 8 years 100k miles.

I like the Chevy better because they liquid cool the batteries and it has 400 ft/lbs of torque. It will run circles around a Leaf, at least the Leaf I drove.

They didn't make many of the Spark EV though.. it was a compliance car sold by Chevy only in CA and a couple other states to hit quotas so they could continue to sell trucks. If you can find one take it for a spin.

I let a co-worker take it for a drive and he bought one, same with my nephew.
    RCmoto and ninjamunky like this.
  20. tokyo

tokyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw that, 3X the capacity!

That means the Zero FXS at its current size, power and weight could have a 300 mile range, plenty for a Supermoto or the DS could have over 600 miles of range.

Exciting times!