No love for electric motorcycles?

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by emtkopan, Sep 23, 2016.

1. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whoa there.

3x more miles out of a quickie charge, but maybe 25-30% more range compared with 30 minute charge. Full charge (like a commuter charging overnight): not sure.

Since you can't get out more watts than you put in, these "ultra-rapid" charges must require massive current.

toshiba-triple-scib-2.jpeg
  2. tokyo

tokyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah, my bad.
    I like to read the latest battery tech on Sciencedaily.com. There are many stories about expanded range breakthroughs. For example an article in December where Waterloo University was claiming a breakthrough enabling 3x range by using lithium metal negative electrodes and adding a compound of phosphorus and sulfur elements to the electrolyte.

I read just enough of the Toshiba press release to infer the wrong info. Great lesson for me in reading news stories with unknown biases influencing my take away.
  3. retroone

retroone Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have no love for electric motorcycles.....................................
  4. BigBlue1200

BigBlue1200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. REALGRAVEROBBER

REALGRAVEROBBER LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer:
    I see Zero motorcycles for sale second hand asking $7,000. Maybe at $2k people would try it.
  6. longslowdistance

Oddometer:
    People are "trying it" now, and often for a lot more than 2 or 7k.
    Early adopters seem to be having fun. It's their money. More power to them.
    MeinMotorrad likes this.
  7. EvrythingAwesom

EvrythingAwesom Long timer

Oddometer:

Not really. It's been done many times, even by students in home-made jalopies.

Do a search for: ubc electric car coast to coast

The Leaf's also did it the same year as the students. The Leaf team kinda cheated by having multiple Leaf's on the trip .. heard it was on a big truck, and they would swap Leaf's.

Read the UBC blog about the trip. Too bad they didn't bring a video crew. Instead, one of the guys brought his dog along.
  8. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Done on any electric bikes? :ear

And another part of the requirement was leave Edmonton in the morning and be in Seattle that evening. That's 1280 km. Stoping for a 4 hour recharge every 300 kilometers (the UBC coast to coast run) adds 12 hours not including the driving time. It doesn't doesn't meet the spec.
    FJ Fun likes this.
  9. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A few more years yet....but they are getting there.
  10. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Soooooo, anyone actually have any real world exp on these things? Not a buddies mother in laws cousins boyfriends mistress heard it from her hairdresser. I think the idea is great and when prices come down and range goes up, I will be all over it. In Tejas the speed limit is 70, 75 and 80 in places so that means you will be doing 78, 83, and 88 with some folks passing you like your'e sitting still. At a minimumumum I would like 100mi range at highway speeds, provisions for luggage, and at a comparable price to ICE bikes. I believe we will be there in the next 10 years and hopefully sooner.
  11. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    I too would like to have a minimum 100mi range @ freeway speeds, although it’s worth noting that according to the US DOT, the avg person travels 37mi/day.

A Zero S with the powertank has 100mi range at freeway speeds (~65mph) and of course luggage/bags are easy enough to add, which leaves what I think is the biggest hurdle.. price. Msrp needs to be more comparable to ICE for mass adoption. Thankfully battery range to price ratios have significantly improved in recent years and state EV tax incentives currently help offset the price difference. One can also factor lower cost to “fuel”, lower maintenance, etc. over the course of ownership to help justify the higher initial cost, bringing an electric closer to an ICE equivalent over time.

DAF73BC7-DDB7-4E93-A32D-2596FF16169C.png

While I think we’re nearly there on range, what’s really needed is the ability to charge rapidly. Currently 95% of EV owners charge at home and seldomly take their EV’s outside of a 200 mile radius. For adventurers though, we’re still a long ways off from recharge times comparable to fuel pumps.

Zero does offers a fast charge option, adding up to 84 miles of riding for every hour plugged into a Level 2 charge station, but doesn’t currently let you combine the power tank with the charge tank. L2 charge stations are still far less available vs good ol 110 but thankfully that is improving as well. From what I’ve been reading this past year, a nationwide network of L2 stations to satisfy the average traveller is probably about 3 years away depending on the state you live in. California for example, has a good network of L2 in populated areas, though consulting an EV charging app/map and some trip planning is a still a must.
  12. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Most times that I get in the saddle it’s going to be a 150 to 200 mile day at 70 +.
  13. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unless motorcycles are much different from cars freeway speeds will not be nearly the mileage killer as changes in elevation.
  14. ultrarnr

ultrarnr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Traxx; Soooooo, anyone actually have any real world exp on these things?

Yes I do. I have a 2016 Zero SR and had a 2014 SR before that. Also own a KTM 1290 SA and a 650 V-Strom. The appeal of an electric motorcycle to me is simply the torque and power delivery of the electric motor. When range or charging time are no issue I take the SR. If they are I take the KTM. It really isn't a big deal. Love both bikes. Electric motorcycles are never going to appeal to everyone regardless of range and charging times. But pick an engine configuration that is on a motorcycle and you will find fans and haters of it. That is why we have so many choices in motorcycles these days. No question electric motorcycles do not come cheap and if you like how an electric motor delivers power you are going to pay a premium to enjoy it. No doubt a Zero SR isn't cheap but the KTM 1290 isn't either. Both serve different roles for me and both are worth it.
    RCmoto likes this.
  15. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Great, good to hear from an actual owner. Are the estimates accurate on the Zero website for range? Do you find yourself getting a little more or less than advertised.
  16. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    I agree, a few more years and we will really have something! I'm waiting for my electric dirtbike that will last for at least 5 hours of hard riding.

And I super appreciate all the people who are early adopters of electrics and are helping to drive it!
  17. ultrarnr

ultrarnr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Traxx, I have never gotten the range that Zero claims. I am sure under optimal conditions and with a light rider you can get them. With my 190 lbs (in gear) and about 40 lbs of chargers in side cases I can get about 80 miles at 65-70 MPH. By that I mean I can get from Hickory NC to Asheville NC on a full charge. I don't remember how much charge I had left but it wasn't much, 10% or so I think. That is easy rolling hills until you get close to Asheville and then you have a few major hills. If you didn't have the weight of the after market chargers and no hills I am sure you could get greater range. I just haven't ridden flat interstate. Around home, going to work, running errands I can get over 100 miles on a charge. Think about 114 miles was the farthest I have gotten on a charge. Hills, weight, cold temps, and your right wrist all impact range. Not always easy to predict range. Vinny
  18. MrBob

MrBob Back in the piney woods. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buying my electric bicycle was the first step toward buying an electric motorcycle. The Electra Townie Go cost me a good chunk of change but for my money I've been riding a well designed and well made bike that is easily the funnest bike I've ever owned and I am certain that when it's time to sell it I'll do OK on resale. If this bike is any indication of what we can expect from electric motorcycles, I'm in.
    Prices will come down, but you can buy any number of really great electric 2 wheeled vehicles right now. Save your money and wait, if you choose, but if you can afford it now the experience is worth it.
  19. longslowdistance

Oddometer:
    There are posts about this on the electricmotorcycleforum. If what is posted there is accurate, Zero's mileage predictions are getting more conservative/accurate for real world riding. The optional newest built in z1772 "charge tank" option on the 2018s weighs 11 lbs and allows something like 32 amp charging, which is a big leap forward in usability vs. weight and space cost. 2hrs charge could buy you almost 100 miles at 65 mph, 130++ on touring back roads. $cost is high/

Why they don't offer a fairing beats me.
  20. Swen13

Swen13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I was a few weeks back in Germany for Christmas vacation I had the chance to ride my friends KTM Freeride Electric bike for a few minutes. Well, I missed the sound and the power wasn't quite there yet. On the other side I love that it is nearly maintenance free. No stupid oil changes and things like this, just charge the battery and ride the bike.
    However, better does not always win. For me a V8 Corvette is exciting, that super fast Tesla nearly boring. And with bikes I have this feeling even more. But I would never say never, maybe one day I will own an electric motorcycle.... but before that I will buy an electric Mountain Bike first :-)