1. eNewsletter Sign Up

No more Aerostich alterations post-sale

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by elkman, Dec 21, 2017.

1. elkman

elkman I'll take two chickens

Oddometer:
    I called Aerostich on 12/18/17 to ask about lengthening my Darien pants (owned for about a year). I was told that they are no longer doing alterations after the sale. Very disappointed, as this was a factor in my choice to buy Aerostich. Am half-hoping there's someone out there that can tell me I got the one uninformed customer service person that day, or that can provide me their "secret number" to get these alterations done.
  2. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    What?? I paid them this year few times for my new (one year old) R3 alterations (and zippers replacement cause they kept breaking). And every time I sent it there was a clear charge line item "Existing suit fee $130.00". However odd I find that "justification" to add to the cost of the work, at least they did the work and I think is the sole reason many still use their product and services.
  3. BeachMoto

BeachMoto Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just got my old AD-1 pants back after repairs (velcro replacement, seam seal, etc.), took about 3 weeks to get the work done. I guess they still do repairs but not alterations?
  4. baka1969

baka1969 Veteran Bubblehead

Oddometer:
    Pffft! Amateur! If you want "repairs" done, here's how.

Want to add length or let it out? Tell Aerostich it shrank. Lost a lot of weight and need it brought in? Tell them it stretched out. Grumble that they used to make better stuff in the past. Give them a big sigh and say that you'll be willing to forgive them if they'll "repair" the garment. You'll even pay them a fair rate to do it. But only this time. lol
    XTremeRide and diabolik37 like this.
  5. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a bummer. I'm sure they don't make any money on that stuff, and need to cut costs where they can to survive. It's one of the reasons to buy american though, imho. Maybe it's time they consider making a modern "looking" suit? The regurgitations of the same old thing they've done for decades just isn't going to bring new riders to the fold. I mean, a waxed cotton roadcrafter? Come on.
  6. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Huh?

I use it because it works and it fits.

Yes it can take some fitting and returning to get it to fit right when buying. Tempting as it is to take a shortcut there, it seems that patience will reward with a suit useful for years or a decade. If I suddenly gained a stone or two of weight I'd probably be better served by a new suit.

I'd RATHER see them continue to make alterations, but I can't imagine that service retains all that many customers.
  7. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    I of course like my one piece suits for the convenience. I am on my second Roadcrafter, first one has 11 years. I gave them plenty business over time. But it's the whole idea of a "custom fit alterations" and "serviceable" garment while dealing with a friendly and helpful customer service that originally sold me on it. Lately their repair times seems to have increased allot. And maybe just my experiences, but I somehow recently (past year) sensed a different, less inviting attitude when not buying a new suit and just looking for repairs or alterations work.
  9. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    Yup that's the link.
    After the website redesign there's no mention of alteration to existing garment like the used to have.
  10. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Says this "Custom size alterations and most optional features must be added at the time of manufacture. " - which is what I believe it's always said.
    Friend just has his roadcrafter legs altered by adding a couple inches to a 5+ year old suit. I'm guessing you got the wrong person on the phone.

I crashed a year ago, suit is why I'm here now. Not because an unquantifiable bit of evidence but because barbedwire went around my neck and cut through the suit, my heated liner and my insulated liner before finally cutting me. It didn't cut deep enough to cut into the neck arteries but came damned close. That's reason 1 why I wear the suit... that collar is really tough material and it's shredded. I know for a fact I'd be dead right now if not for it.

#2 - Andy and his team not only took care of me so much better than I could have ever dreamed without me even asking and I will add that several members of the team reached out to me over time to ensure I was healing well, new suit was a good fit, etc. I owe that whole office lunch when I can get back to riding more than a handful of miles.

I have no doubt they will stand behind their product and if it needs alterations, they will handle it for you. They don't do everything though... mostly adding of fabric or replacing panels.

Call them back, talk to someone else. Several employees are members here and I'm sure they will help you out.
    Patek and 996DL like this.
  11. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've always been happy with the customer service provided by Aerostich. And I'm not surprised that they may have instituted a new policy regarding alterations of "used" garments. Seems to me they would be shooting themselves in the proverbial foot if they altered garments they sell for new owners. Although the alteration charges might seem a little rich, I very much doubt Aerostich considers this to be a "profit center" in their budgeting. More likely they are focused on excellent customer service. And...I imagine some of the jackets or pants that are sent to them are long past there sell-by date. In that case, the alterations would be unhelpful, and could expose them to complaints when the original fabric wore. I just don't see the percentages favoring them in this area.

I have an RC 2-piece, a Darien jacket & pants, AD-! pants, and I just sold my Transit jacket to an inmate. ALL my Aero-stuff is better than the other garments I wear riding.

I'm going to complain much more vociferously about the electrical sub that tries to ding me for an extra $150 to put "one more" receptacle in my new home construction only five feet from the next in line, and then try and rationalize the upcharge.

I think we are very lucky to have Aerostich to kick around!
    Patek likes this.
  12. 3sum

3sum local Triumph fanboy

Oddometer:
    Totally off topic but this made me laugh. I’m friends with a freelance electrician and have heard of the stupid money he makes on weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CoatsEast and Patek like this.
  13. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    It would be nice to get some clarity on this. Have they just stopped doing alterations altogether? Are they doing some alterations but not others?

And why? Do they have a lack of trained workers who can do the alterations, or are they just losing money on it? Were there service issues -- there are some real nitpicky squeakers out there, including several who have posted on this very forum. I could definitely see just dropping the whole thing if you're wasting a lot of time dealing with unrealistic expectations.

Also, if they're not doing alterations, then who can? I remember seeing someone in the Vendor section a while back who could repair and alter gear, but I don't remember who that was.

And if they don't have access to matching material, they may not be able to do things like lengthening. There have been several variations in the shade of the gray, for example.
    CoatsEast likes this.
  14. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tell everyone I know, and hope my kids will listen, the trades are going to make all the money in the future. Toilets will always need to flush.
  15. UnclePete

UnclePete Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a repair done earlier this year to Darien pants ; zipper and a small patch . Nice job and price was reasonable ; took about a month or so .
    A couple of months ago I called to get an estimate for getting a Roadcrafter one piece suit altered , to have more girth .
    The lady told me that they do repairs , but no longer do alterations of that kind , matching of fabric being one of the problems .
    Makes sense really . They probably don't make much on repairs , and they do everything possible to make sure we get a good fit on new gear .
    Seems that enabling a guy buying used stuff cheap and altering it to fit is in competition with the new stuff for sale . Buy used gear that fits .
  16. Retired and lovin it

Retired and lovin it Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well my AD-1 were bought new, had to have 2 inches removed below knees, no issue having done this was in October. They said would be $100 extra but I wanted done so I didn't look like I was swimming them. They only charged me $70 and girls on phone were very gracious. Guess after a year they may not alter. I am sure surprised if they are no longer altering garments.
  17. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    As with any difficult to answer Aerostich questions, I recommend going straight to "the man." agoldfine@aerostich.com He's never kept his e-addy a secret, and in my experience always responds quicker than I'd expect for someone with a small business to run.
    DocPFFP and trc.rhubarb like this.
  18. elkman

Oddometer:
    I'll try that, and report results
  19. elkman

Oddometer:
    Andy got back to me right away and has given permission to post his response. Here's my email to him and his response.

----

Hi Mr. Goldfine,

I'm the original poster of a recent thread on advrider.com. I described my recent (mid December) experience on the phone with Aerostich, in which I was told that the company no longer does alterations after the sale.

I called Aerostich on 12/18/17 to ask about lengthening my Darien pants (owned for about a year). I was told that they are no longer doing alterations after the sale. Very disappointed, as this was a factor in my choice to buy Aerostich. Am half-hoping there's someone out there that can tell me I got the one uninformed customer service person that day, or that can provide me their "secret number" to get these alterations done.

One replier to the thread says he/she had an alteration done this past October. There seems to be a some lack of clarity (at least among advrider "inmates") on current policy on alterations post-sale. Could you please confirm that post-sale alterations are no longer done, or explain otherwise? I would pass your response along to the thread, if that's OK with you. The thread is at http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/no-more-aerostich-alterations-post-sale.1273413/

----

Thanks for writing and for this good question. Our alterations rules have slightly changed recently. We receive many requests for kinds of work that do not make sense for both us AND for the garment’s owner. Too costly and impractical. Our past rules and procedures were out of synch with providing good customer service and also with good internal business logic.

Aerostich garments are different than most other kinds of clothing because they are both stitched and glued together so they are either fully waterproof or highly water resistant (depending on design and model). This makes it extremely difficult to provide some kinds of alterations after the garments have been manufactured. Normally stitched seams are fairly easy to open and disassemble, but our specialized hot-glue seam-taped (seam sealed) seams are not.

A typical example of an alteration that is uneconomical and unwise would be when someone buys a used Roadcrafter on eBay at a good price and then asks us to make it a size larger or smaller via alterations, thinking this plan would be less costly than buying a new Roadcrafter. Unfortunately, it isn’t. When we’d quote a $500 + price for some alteration work to adapt a $300-bought ten year old eBay Roadcrafter to fit someone a little better it didn’t make sense. That Roadcrafter was already half worn-out and it still would never fit like a new one made in the correct size. A similar common example is when someone gains or loses a significant amount of weight and wants their trusty ten or fifteen year old gear re-altered to fit them better. A well-worn partly used-up riding suit does not merit hundreds of dollars of alterations, even if it has become an old trusted ‘friend'. It’s better to sell it and replace it with a new one that fits and functions correctly.

In the example below, the year-old Darien pants are too short. These pants are about $350. Removing and replacing the the glued-and-stitched full length separating side zippers (from the hem to the waistband) with longer zippers, and lengthening the inner and outer wind and rain flaps accordingly, and then adding a band of fabric around the bottom of each leg…adding all of this up and you are putting maybe $300 + into this alteration and the pre-bent knee curve is still in the wrong place (too high). You’d have put almost $700 into an alteration which makes no sense for us or for the customer. It’s better to sell the too-short year-old pants to a shorter rider and start over with a pair of Darien pants that are made to the correct length in the first place.

Aerostich suits are graded by suit sizes. There are 61 or 62 off-the-rack in-stock sizes for a much more precise fit than the eight sizes common S, M, L, XL grading provides. All 61 sizes are returnable, and most sizes and many colors are in stock for same-day shipping. A wide range of additional custom-fit alterations provide an even better fit if needed. The alterations are made during manufacturing so they are incorporated without patching on anything. Aerostich gear is not available made-to-measure like some race suits, though. It’s standard graded sizes with a range of optional fit adjustments and alterations if they are needed. This has been so since we began operations thirty three years ago.

Like most riders I become personally attached to my old trusty gear. We continue to provide some alteration and repair services for older Aerostich gear if the work makes sense, but last summer we took a hard look at this area and concluded would be better for us and for our customers to make the changes to our procedures which are described above. Please feel free to post to the ADV forum. Questions about alterations may be addressed directly to us at service@aerostich.com or to my co-worker Judy at jcaruso@aerostich.com. ‘

Lastly, for older Aerostich gear needing any kind of work we are not able to handle at our facility we continue to provide all needed matching materials (fabrics, zippers, thread, hook and loop, etc..) for such alterations and/or repairs at no-charge. This makes locally-provided alterations and repairs to older gear more feasible for many riders. These days Craigslist and Google makes it simple to find good local sewing and alterations services.

----
  20. acap650

acap650 acap650

Oddometer:
    IMO this is a perfectly reasonable response from A Goldfine. I'm on my third Roadcrafter, time and use has taken its toll on the first two. All materials have a definite shelf life, especially bonded gore-tex and adhesive seam seals. Over time and miles they have all lost water resistance, even with recommended washing and treatments. I look at it as a lease, 10 years or 100K miles for a $1200 suit is just $120 per year or 10K miles. There are cheaper alternatives but I have not found any that have the performance or durability of Aerostich. Like we say for technology in general: performance, durability or price - pick two.