No more BST!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    I'm going to add EFI to my XR400- I don't really expect to improve it, but it'll be fun. I have an R6 throttle body set in the mail (butterfly, injector, regulator, TPS, temp sensor) Much cheaper than a BMW part, and a better size (for a 400)

I was planning on building a controller myself as I wouldn't need an ignition controller as well, but I don't look forward to writing the software.

Let's compare notes as we go.

Luke
  2. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    have a look at the megasquirt. it is a build yourself unit with software written by a couple guys, but maintained and updated by a huge web community. there's a pic on the first page of this thread of one i built and installed in a ford mustang. its a really good basic injection controller.

http://www.megasquirt.info
  3. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    That looks great. Trying to fit a commercial/proprietary controller would be a waste of time, but this looks like just the ticket.
  4. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    The O2 sensor wont be a problem at all. I'll weld the bung in the pre muffler, rather than buy fat pipes. As far as the "what happens when something goes wrong" question. I don't think the bike will be any less reliable than a BST bike.
    The Mega squirt is pretty darn stable, and I've heard many people claim
    50,000 -60,000 miles with no problems. All I need to do is seal the ECU and keep it protected from water, which I'm working on now. I can keep spare sensors in the tank bag. Coolant temp from a GM product(any NAPA),O2 sensor(single wire bosch), intake temp sensor(GM), and a bosch TPS. Its a really simple system, and I don't have any reason to think it will be a problem. I wonder if all those big GS bikes with fuel injection have lots of running problems? I usually hear them bitch about the heads making noise, or the rear drive being a problem. I could be wrong?

Cranker
  5. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    I've used this product in the past.......

www.034efi.com

My old Audi 80 is in the featured users section. Javad, the owner has been developing the system for about 10 yrs with awesome results.
  6. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Make sure you check with an O2 sensor guru; I think those things are more reliable the closer you are to the cylinder - or maybe that's the EGT sensor... :lol3

OK on the reliability, or remote fixability. But I would be content if someone with direct experience could share. Luckly for us, we have you to be guinea pig. :thumb
  7. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    heated o2 sensor could work as far back as the pre muffler... i wouldn't do that though... pop it in up front near the collector.
  8. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Yea, A heated sensor would be nice, but I'm concerned with having enough electrical power. The fuel pump is going to draw a fair amount of juice.
    I could always just run it in open loop with no O2 correction.
    I'm getting the Boxer throttle body this week which is the key to the project.
    After looking at all the big Fuelie boxers at the Watkins Glen rally, I realized how close in dimensions the t-body is to the BST. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up using the same rubber boots.

Aaron
  9. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    UPDATE CRANKY? :ear
  10. JSL

JSL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm also interested in hearing how the project has progressed.
  11. crankshaft

Oddometer:

HAHAHAHAHA! I went fuel injection, but I did it the super easy way!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:lol3
    Sorry guys, it seemed much easier than the KTM. I have a throttle body that will fit in place of the carb with an injector mounted if anyone wants to try doing the KTM:ear