No-Moto-Boundaries-Latin America n' back n' da' TAT, un-planned, un-hinged, and solo

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by SeanPNW, Sep 12, 2013.

1. SeanPNW

SeanPNW Water Bear Supporter

Oddometer:
    It'll be up today, just later this evening Pacific Time. Hold me to it:deal.

:type

Whelp not going to get it up today either. Came in to work to get a couple hours of stuff done and here I am 6.5 hours later :thumb. Not going to be home in time to finish up the post. Tomorrow it is.

:kumbaya
  2. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:

Satisfaction guaranteed or Double your Money back!
  3. SeanPNW

Oddometer:
    This is Jill, if you’ve been following since the beginning, you may recall her face from my first post back in Washington. Her and a bunch of other people were all living in a big house in Seattle, where I also lived. She’s a gem. And also brought me all the important mail that I had missed, like my motorcycle registration!

[​IMG]

We both met up with another old housemate (Priyam, whom I had visited a couple weeks earlier), another old housemate who had moved to NYC a couple years earlier (Karina), aaaand another old housemate who was living in Portland but flew in to visit as well (Erin). We ate, nommed, drank, and attempted to catch-up...enjoyably though, for this group we always are able to pick up and roll like usual, no matter how long we haven’t seen each other.

[​IMG]

Some of us had been to NY, some of us hadn’t, but we all wanted to do some stuff while we were in town, so we headed out to the NY Art Book Fair that was going on over in Queens. The girls all took the subway, and I rolled over on the bike. The subway is cool, but man I just can’t get enough of watching the neighborhoods change while rolling through the city. A few minutes later I found myself in Queens, yet another drastically different area of town. The event was going on at the MoMa PS1, which is like a satellite to the MoMa (Museum of Modern Art).

[​IMG]

It felt busy, but maybe I’ve just been hanging out in the woods too much as of late. In it’s 9th year, the NY Art Book Fair has become quite the event, bring together some of the worlds’ most influential book and magazine publishers in a single location. It’s scope is enormous, and small publishers scattered around the world can find themselves all under one roof during this event.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were a number of ‘areas’ that you could find yourself in. The courtyard was a stage where bands were playing throughout the afternoon.

[​IMG]

This band was called DARK SiSTER. They are a Brooklyn based self proclaimed “nu-metal priestesses”. People say they are bending genres and creating the next wave of grunge. People say a lot of things though.

[​IMG]

I dig edgy, but edgy for edgy’s sake is a little outdated for me. But hey, there’s lot’s of people out there who that resonates with.

[​IMG]

There point I don’t think was to create musical or lyrical quality, so much as it was to create intrigue, allure, or social outrage. Hey girl, you go get it. Looking down into the crowed I saw that it caught all my friends attention at least.

[​IMG]

We tooled around inside and checked out the other areas. Everything was an art instillation of some sort. Cool space to have an event like this. Guess they probably knew that already though now didn’t they.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plenty of stuff was for sale. Some rooms were devoted to books and artist items who had stuff on display.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back outside another artist had taken the stage. He was just fine and went by the name of JuiceBoxxx, buuuuut again not quite my style (if I can even say I have a specific one?). Chuck D from Public Enemy once called him “the Buddy Holly of hip hop” though, so there’s that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stayed and watched the rest of the set. Then finally, JunglePussy came on. Now this girl was by far the best of the bunch, and I enjoyed the entire performance. I wouldn’t go download with a frenzy, but she had a fun set and was quite the lyricist. Crowed loved it too.

[​IMG]

Inside a big dome tent we found more artsy stuff to look at and purchase. This guy looked with his eyes rather than his wallet though.

[​IMG]

These honeys were selling for the price of liquid gold. Bet they tasted pretty killer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Artistically satiated we left the event for other happenings. NY is a big city, and there’s plenty to see wherever you choose to head next.

[​IMG]

We split to do our respective sub-ing and bike-ing to another area. Pretty nice having a bike in the city.

[​IMG]

We came across town back toward the Bushwick area where my friend Karina lives. I made it before them so found some other bikes for La Matarista to hang with while I meandered in a park.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wherever you look, there’s always people, doing things, living their lives, carrying on with their current activity. Interesting to see so many people going about their day, each one with their own individual story, existance, and events that lead them to the very moment we intersect and cross paths for such a brief moment. A smile here, a small gesture there. 8.4 million people living in one place, yet all having their own unique existence here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dropped into a dive bar called the Turkey Nest Tavern across the street from the park to continue my people watching while I waited for my friends. Here, just like the park across the street, just like the sidewalk outside, I found another separate and essentially completely insulated group of people. Here they stood, playing pool, watching boxing, shooting the shit about their own lives and days happenings, all the while cut off from the other peoples existence by some invisible wall of cultural interaction, dictated solely by randomness and happenstance. What’s the likelihood anyone I was just observing in the park across the street would ever walk into anyone I was currently observing just 100yrds away. Yet here I sat, as a quiet observer to both groups, unknowingly linking any two people’s day together with one another through a random once-removed connection…..

Man, what the fuck am I talking about??? Is this dive bars beer starting to get to my head? Was I slipped some ruflin? I carry on, sipping my drink under a dimly lit light, watching as people go by and trying to think about who they are, how did they get here, do they want to leave here, do they never want to go back to before they were here? Man, maybe it’s just the 8.4 Million people that are just blowing my mind. I sip more and continue to ponder.

[​IMG]

A bit later my friends ring me and have made it back to the area.

“Hey! Where you at? Should we come there?”

“At a bar, it’s fine, but let’s roll somewhere else. I’ve been here too long pondering random strangers lives.”

I close my tab and head out to meet them.

[​IMG]

Karina lives a few blocks away so we head there to hang out. We’ll all be crashing here tonight, so I put the bike to bed and kick the boots off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As with most apartments in Bushwick, Karina’s place is small, and over packed for the space. The more the merrier though for us, we’re not here to do a ton of sleeping anyways.

[​IMG]

Aren’t we one short right now though? Ah well shieeeet, look who decides to show up. La Frenchie.

[​IMG]

Fiona is from Paris and we all met while living in Seattle together. She moved back to France about a year ago, but comes back to visit when we can all find a time to be in one place. Welcome back Fi!

[​IMG]

We rolled upstairs to the rooftop to catch the evening skyline, and soak in the views had by only those who run the late-night second shift. Weird to think how many thousands of people are just now waking up to start their work day. All those that have second jobs, or work crazy hours to get an edge ahead. This is their skyline.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had a few drinks, then came back inside.

[​IMG]

You’d think they hadn’t seen any of each other in a year or so. “Are you ladies going to rally or what?”

[​IMG]

There we go.

[​IMG]

My buddy Jacob had started dating Karina since they both moved out here to NY separately. Karina is a writer, and Jacob is an artist, so you can imagine they have some pretty poetic love letters to each other. I don’t believe this was a love letter, but it was something that Jacob had written. When read as a whole it read with complete and true sentences. It was heavy, deep, and full of complicated words that were usually to be found in a profound and often profoundly dusty philosophical novel.

[​IMG]

This letter wasn’t an ordinary letter though. I asked why it had odd creases in it, and Karina said that you can fold up it and it reads with an entirely different meaning and context, yet it still reads as a complete text with full sentences, and grammatically correct. I had never seen anything like it and was blown away. Karina informed me though that it’s a ‘thing’ that some people do, similar to a style of writing, like a haiku.

[​IMG]

I read through it again, and had the story shift and the entire concepts change. Mind blown.

We kicked a few more back, chatted into the wee hours, then all scattered out amongst the floors wherever we could find space. I was beet, and ready to call it a night.

-----------

In the morning I awoke and stepped outside to find my bike where I had left it. I never take this for granted. Whether I’m in the woods, or in the city - it’s always a good start to my day.

Hey pretty lady.

[​IMG]

While everyone else was still fast asleep, I had awoken early to run back across town and catch up with my sister at our friend Rose’s place.

[​IMG]

Lookin’ good bike, lookin’ good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few quick braap braaaps and I was back over in Crown Heights

[​IMG]

Streets seem super quiet right now, maybe even quieter than 5am. In the city that’s said to never sleep, this just may be it’s quiet-time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My sister was just getting up when I rang her, and neither Rose nor her roommate where getting up anytime soon. Seems like they had gotten into the sauce last night.

[​IMG]

My sister and I are like-minded folk, so we both like to be up when the sun is up, regardless of the previous nights activities. We indulged in some hippie version of lucky charms and took our bowls up to the rooftop to shoot the shit in open air.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Man. This city. There is just something about it. It’s not the big buildings, or the fame and allure. There’s something else here besides those things, and it almost feels....simple. Maybe it’s the oddity of sitting on a roof eating lucky charms chatting about this bizarre place that makes it seem particularly un-placable. But there IS an odd simplicity there.

[​IMG]

Maybe it’s a simplicity that’s defined by the feeling of being in a large hive. Everyone is here just doing their thing, and going about their shit. It’s simple, if you want it to be. We could sit up here alllll day long, eating our lucky charms, and nobody would bat an eye. The hive would just continue to buzz, as it always has. Maybe it feels simple in the sense that nothing I could possible do, or not do, here would change a single damn thing about this city. There’s an odd calming feeling that comes from that. Like being a speck on a mountain, it’s humbling, and relaxing in it’s own way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My sister and I chat for a while then I get distracted by the cool old stuff on the roof. Like this doors dilapidation and deterioration, everything in this city keeps moving whether you’re with it or not.

[​IMG]

I zoom in on it’s multi-layered paint, thrown on haphazardly over the years in a failed attempt to keep it up with the city.

[​IMG]

“Sean. Are you listening to anything I’m saying?”

“Yo, Yeah, sorry…. “
    “What were you talking about?”

“Ah GEEZ, nevermind. Whatever, I think Mom’s going to be here soon, we should go down to the street.”

Our Mom was coming through the city on her way back from a high school reunion. We figured we could cross paths once more before I head out, seeing as I probably won’t be making it back to the East Coast for a fair while.

By now Rose had woken up and we all came down to chat for a minute. Rose and my Mom hadn’t seen each other in probably 8 years, and my Mom hadn’t been in New York for who knows how long. She was quite alight with stories from the reunion the night before as well.

[​IMG]

While they caught up, I nommed a sammy she had picked up for me along the way here. DAYUMMMM. Look at that deliciousness.

[​IMG]

Alright, bring it in for a photo-op. When’s the next time we are both going to be in NY together when I’m in stanky moto clothes with my stanky bike?? Love you Mom. I’ll see you sooner than later, promise.

[​IMG]
  4. FM Rider

FM Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Outstanding Sean but let's get to the TAT!
  5. SeanPNW

Oddometer:
    Hey folks, I'm placing this story on hold. You guys likely already inferred this though. I'm not finding the time to write right now, so I'd rather wait and do it well, than fart it out just to get it out. :lol3

It shall resume, just not for a bit.

- Sean
  6. Eagletalon

Eagletalon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We shall wait for a wait written report.

Later
    John
  7. JJMTCHNV

JJMTCHNV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been catching up for the last week or so. (was gone on a camping trip for awhile) Glad your working, Hope its good and not soul crushing. Just wanted to say thanks for the entertainment and I really enjoyed your RR. Youve got a great writing style and attitude i can relate with. Looking forward to the rest of the RR.

Thanks again.:freaky