1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

-No Return Ticket – Two People, Two Years, One Motorcycle

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cavebiker, Jul 14, 2007.

1. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    Nice ride! :clap:clap:clap
  2. KLRUSERIOUS?

KLRUSERIOUS? Farkle-whore

Oddometer:
    Hey Cavebiker, whatcha doin now?
  3. Rapid_Roy

Rapid_Roy Rachael's Dad Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still reading. Still awesome.
    I met you guys at the first Central Rally.
    :wave
  4. cavebiker

cavebiker Old School Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is next?

The Yamaha took a beating on the Haitian border ride. I blew out the swing-arm bearing. How great is that! A big ride ‘should’ end with some sustained abuse. Heidi thinks I am nuts. Anyway, we only had a week on the bike rental left, perfect timing.

[​IMG]
    The bike was still good enough for tooling to the local beaches.

[​IMG]
    Heidi feels like she is getting me back, I will not be planning any more Yamaha adventures in the DR and leaving her. We are looking forward to spending our last few weeks on the island, hiking, windsurfing and just hanging out at the beach together. [Check out the photo, sick, It looks like we are literally joined at the hip! ]

What is next? It is always about the next adventure with us. Our conversations constantly revolve around lessons learned, adventure destinations and start dates. We play through scenarios of living conditions in far away exotic lands where we have never been. Then we talk about stuff like a motorcycle trip to Las Vegas just before we go, just to kick it off. ‘What the heck’ has happened to my life, I must still be in that fantasy dream I started a while back…

All I will say about the next big ride is that we are going to buy a used motorcycle, not rent one, ‘lesson learned’. I looked on the internet and found motorcycle dealerships selling used ‘Yamaha DT125’ bikes where we are going, Oh Freaking Yeah!

[​IMG]
    As promised, to you Dick (rous44)…

[​IMG]

The End – Dominican Republic Chapter

Until I ‘Return’ to the real world, ‘No Return Ticket’ will stay alive

5. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    Hey Rapid_Roy, maybe we will see ya at the Central Rally this summer :freaky
  6. KLRUSERIOUS?

Oddometer:
    :eek1

This ride report keeps getting better and better

Or rather should I have said...That's a nice end to your trip
  7. BikerGeek99

BikerGeek99 Horizon Chaser

Oddometer:
    Awesome stuff, Tom. The wife and I have been following along with you guys.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Can't wait to see what wacky and crazy shenanigans you and Heidi get in to next!!
  8. WaywardSon

WaywardSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can assure you he wasn't the only one waiting:D I've thought for a long time that Heidi was being too modest. You are hawt girl!

Once again, thanks and huge props to both of you for putting together one of the best RR on the net. Great job!
    cavebiker likes this.
  9. Sparky216

Sparky216 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My first post on ADV will be:
    WoW
    WoW
    WoW

I read the whole RR and must say that you are a inspiration and a real adventurer. Really great job with the report, and I'm so proud that you set a goal to get away and find meaning......and saw it through. Bravo!

What a story........damn....what a dream!

Now I will patiently wait for the next adventure.

Regards,
    cavebiker likes this.
  10. ADK

ADK *********************

Oddometer:
    Does Heidi ride? Two DT125s would be the way to go . (seems to me :norton)
  11. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    Hey Sparky216 welcome to the asylum! Honored to get your first post man and thanks a ton for the good words. ADV rocks

Hey ADK, Heidi does ride but she continuously reminds that she wants a new motorcycle at home, not for where we ride together. She claims her DT125 at home is too tall,

[​IMG]
    no problem, I will keep her DT125. She is looking at a Yamaha TW200, she liked freeflow’s TW200 at the Central rally a few years back. Anything to get more pics of cavegirl on a bike. :evil

12. Liberia

Liberia Fortunate

Oddometer:
    Putting other people first (here and abroad) is always appreciated. Your father did you a great service when he taught you to defer to those driving for a living.

Thank you both for such a wonderful ride report that I'm only now finding.
  13. YZman

YZman Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer:
    Finially dug my way thru your entire report Cavebiker. You two are living the dream. Putting bad thoughts in my head you are. There may be a trip to Mexico in my future!

But the big question is....... have you cought a fish yet :lol3
  14. Mud Farm

Mud Farm Cow Poke

Oddometer:
    It took me a few weeks of lunch breaks to get through this ride report. Amazing and inspiring stuff! I've always loved to travel but hated touristy stuff. I've been searching for a way to adventure and you two showed me the path. I rode dirtbikes a lot as a kid but haven't ridden in five years or so. I'm now looking for my first adventure bike and signing up for some Spanish courses. What you two are doing is nothing short of amazing! Thanks for taking us all along! I hope one day to be able to share a report 1/4 as good! :clap
  15. bike4ever

bike4ever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tom and Heidi,

From your fan club in Minnesota, thanks for posting the great ride reports and pictures. An inspiration for everyone. Its great that you find adventure no matter where you are, Wisconsin or DR or ??? What's next?

The DR has obviously been good for you two. Cavegirl looks fabulous :evil and you look pretty good too. What's your work out routine? If followers of this thread knew that you two aren't exactly kids anymore they would be even more inspired!

Cheers,

Dave

Take care and looking forward to your next post.
  16. Bushav8r

Bushav8r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Cavebiker,
    Stumbled upon your ride report again. Heidi looks really good in a bikini on a bike. I can' read straight, or I would know if ur back home. Ice is starting to go for a shit up here. My ride is ready but looks like snow for the weekend....
  17. aDave

aDave Lovin' Life!

Oddometer:
    Fantastic ride report covering several years...took me a couple of weeks to get caught up. Very inspirational to see both of you in love and enjoying life together! :clap I really enjoyed seeing the evolution of your riding experiences and willingness to try the new.

Where are you now?
    Have you guys ever suffered bad consequences from all of the street vendor food and beverages you rave about? What is your secret...?

Keep it coming.
    I am a very appreciative...
    Dave
  18. cavebiker

Oddometer:
    OK, thanks everyone for keeping this thread alive. I have had a hard time writing up a reply about our return to the states. This is a ride report and I like writing about our rides, not about our rides ending. But, like most of the long ride reports I read here on ADV I also enjoy reading about the people who do the reports and what their life is like. So here ya go, nothing too exciting but this is what we are going through. now-->

Landing back in the states felt strange. We looked intensely into each other’s eyes with emotion having a hard time swallowing what is happening to us. We are saying things to each other like, “Another chapter in our life, Done”, “We did it!”, “On to our next life”. It’s a light headed feeling without regrets, a feeling like we never felt before. Maybe we found the secret, maybe we discovered our path to continued happiness, it’s hard to say for sure what we found but we do know that we are going to continue to pursue it, wherever it takes us.

We arrived in Northern Wisconsin and found our cabin surrounded by snow. Everything was still frozen. It took me almost two days to get the well pumping water again and I had to shovel around our mailbox so we could receive mail. Not exactly the warm welcome we were hoping for but it still felt great to be home.

OK, I try to answer all questions on this thread but the question ‘What’s next?’ is impossible to answer. We rolled the bones and tried to read them but the future is still uncertain. We for sure will let you know.

‘What is our workout routine?’ A good question bike4ever. We have incorporated exercise and weightlifting into our daily routine, it’s our lifestyle now and seems to be working for us. Besides helping us fight aging and enabling us to continue to pursue sport activities, we also have an ulterior motive, working out hard is fun and enables us to continue to enjoy guilt-free cocktails and nachos when we get the urge. Cavegirl says “what do you mean we aren’t exactly kids anymore” I guess fifties are the new thirties to us!

'Where are you now?’ Hayward, Wisconsin, a paradise in the north woods.

‘Have you guys ever suffered bad consequences from all of the street vendor food and beverages you rave about?’ We don’t really remember ever getting sick from street food but we most definitely have gotten sick eating food from restaurants. Most recently on our ride to Punta Rucia we stopped at a roadside restaurant for breakfast.
    [​IMG]
    Several ‘working girls’ were all hanging around behind the counter with a few of their patrons still hanging around from the night before drinking beer.
    [​IMG]
    The food was so stall and hard we figure it must have been leftover from the night before. We did not get sick immediately but our stomachs lost their ability to digest properly and would bloat whenever we ate anything. Luckily, this has happened to us before (what am I saying!) so we knew what to do, enzyme restoration. After a stop at a pharmacy and two treatments a day for five days we were back to normal.

‘What is your secret...?’ We look for places where locals eat. A street vendor does not want to poison their neighbors. If they did, word would spread fast and they would be out of business in no time and out of an income.

‘But the big question is....... have you cought a fish yet?’ When I read this to Heidi she immediately said “That will be a big fat NO!” :lol3

Thanks again for all the comments and questions everyone, we really appreciate every one of them.

19. CamoGreg

CamoGreg aka Camorpheus

Oddometer:
    Wow.

Thanks. I remember reading the anticipation and planning before hand.
    Great RR. You two ROCK!
  20. KLRUSERIOUS?

Oddometer:
    Silly rabbit...good threads never die