No Scooters in NJ?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by FlyNavy, Jun 5, 2008.

1. FlyNavy

FlyNavy 2 much not chromed 2 list

Oddometer:
    There are waiting lists for scooters in many NJ motorcycle shops. We were looking for a Yamaha Vino 125 and had our name on several lists at various bike shops in the area. I wonder if we will see a bidding war for the few that make it into the shops if gas prices stay high?
    Finally found one in PA. The dealer sold all 10 he received in a week and will not get more in till the end of summer! I put a deposit on ours over the phone and by the time we picked it up the sales guy had 5-6 folks try to buy it.
  2. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Hoseman

Hoseman Uhh...

Oddometer:
  4. approachbears

approachbears 250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer:
    The sell outs seem to be on specific models and companies. Lots of scooter discussion boards seem to be repeating this. But it seems to be very geographically and dealer specific. For instance, if you want a Kymco or Buddy around my way, you can find one. The links above indicate this is not the case in other places.

If you really want one; there are some out there and the web makes looking a lot easier than it once was (cycletrader, ebay, craigslist, etc...). But there's no denying high gas prices, summer time riding and an overall increase in scooter sales. It appears to be a model year in which very few will be sitting around next year, waiting to be purchased. It makes me wander if I'm just lucky to have bought a new Ruckus '07 here in '08.
  5. wreckhog

wreckhog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Camrod in Manhattan had Rucks on the floor and a few Yamaha scoots (dunno models sorry) too. Was there yesterday afternon.
  6. Dave

Dave Huh? Supporter

Oddometer:
    My local Kymco dealer said he's moved 25 of them in the past 2 weeks. He's also calling other dealers in an effort to acquire their excess inventory.

Ironically, I've heard another report that the local Honda shop is hurting and is writing terrific deals on everything. Of course, 'hurting' and 'terrific' are opinion based.
  7. Tinfish

Tinfish Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Honda and Yamaha dealers here have scooters on the floor (plus one has Kymco models, too), though they are selling quite quickly. I wonder if dealers in some areas just didn't get their full allotment of scooters? And demand is definitely up -- I'm seeing way more scooters around town this year than even last year, much less the year before.
  8. chef_of_the_future

chef_of_the_future Currently reading the Pepperwood Chronicals

Oddometer:
    This sounds like the same "shortage" we have experienced with gasoline; desirable cars and even Wii's!

I have been to 3 motorcycle/scooter dealers in NJ in the last month and they had scoots a'plenty. Not a waiting list in sight and 10% off list price without even asking.

Not disputing that specific hot models maybe hard to find but that is no different then any other commodity and it happens all the time. It does indicate a shortage or a crisis - except of the artificially produced nature.

Good luck to all the scooter dealers who are perpetrating this crap and trying to cash in a people's niaveity and sense of panic to rip them off. Wait a year or 2 and they will be the same ones who are going out of business.
  9. FlyNavy

Oddometer:
    I did see several 50cc models and of course the 250 and up versions at various stores. But the mid weight 125 class is hard to find. What dealers did you see the scoots at?
  10. FlyNavy

Oddometer:
  11. chef_of_the_future

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle Mall - Belleville
    Honda/Yamaha Powersports - East Hanover
    Action Yamaha - Edison
  12. tcs

tcs Palmer

Oddometer:
    My local Honda dealer really does seem to be sold out of Ruckii, but has 2008 model Metropolitans in stock...and 2007 model Metropolitans...and 2006 model Metropolitans. You could leave with one under each arm.

They've got new 2007 Elite 80s in stock as well. Or were they 1983s? So hard to tell.

tcs
  13. wreckhog

wreckhog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Called Camrod. They have a couple of old price (2599?) Vino 125's and are willing to do better. Guess everyone in Manhattan has to have a Vespa....lol.
  14. Tinfish

Tinfish Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think scooters are in hot demand all over. I just sold my C3 over the phone, sight unseen, without even advertising it, and for a decent price. A few days ago, the Yamaha/Kymco dealer in town had six scooters on the floor; today they were entirely sold out. They said that they are selling everything they can bring in, and selling them basically at full-price. Anything small and fuel-efficient, people are snatching up.

Gas at $4.xx is changing the market; if gas stays high, I think you'll see a lot of scooters and small bikes around for the foreseeable future. The guy who bought my C3 figured on making back the purchase price in gas savings in a pretty short time, and I think he's right.

Every time I stop at the gas station, go into the bank, etc, someone comes up and asks about the scooter's gas mileage, whether they need a motorcycle endorsement, and so on. There is a lot of interest from people who hadn't seriously considered riding a motorcycle in decades.
  15. chef_of_the_future

Oddometer:
    Well...what a difference a year makes! Went with my friend last weekend to a Vespa dealer and a Honda dealer and not only did they have plenty of new scooters but they were chocked full of all kinds of new and used leftovers. Damn near slipped on the salesman's drool when my buddy was talking about getting matching Vespa's for him and his wifey.

Just remember all those dealer bastards who where riding the gas shortage / pre-recession gravy train last year and treated you like shit. In this buyers market pay back will be a be-atch!
  16. Tinfish

Tinfish Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your dealer is an asshole, they don't deserve your money, irrespective of gas prices.

Maybe I was just lucky, but even when gas was at its highest, I didn't experience any dealer treating me like shit. They were in the unusual position of selling everything (often sight-unseen) that they could bring in, and they sure weren't discounting prices (would you have? really?), but they were still professional and courteous. There are plenty of really terrible dealers out there, and I really wish that they would go out of business, but I guess I just don't see where there's any payback to be had.

Even in a small town, like where I live, there are choices, and there are plenty of other dealers a few hours drive away. So if the local guy is a jerk, go down the road and do business with someone else. Capitalism works sometimes.
  17. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    Hey, we're not out of the woods yet with the Feds talking about energy taxes and the reality that any kind of natural or manmade disaster could drive up gas prices to where they were--or more. A prudent buyer would pick up something that gets 100 MPG while you can get them at a decent price.
  18. Rich Dubbya

Rich Dubbya Pimpadimpolis

Oddometer:
    Check out Cyclexchange in Andover . They carry a bit of Scooters . They're also an official Tomos dealer .
  19. windburn

windburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was visiting the motorcycle shop in Springfield, Ohio Yesterday They have at least one Silverwing ,three Burgmanns a majesty in the new showroom and at least one Burgmann in the used showroom and a couple of Ruckus. They also have a good selection of kymco.
  20. pops66

pops66 n00b

Oddometer:
    I bought 2 Vino 125s last fall. One for me and one for the Mrs. I am glad because of the gas prices. We have ridden them all over Michigan and they are great.
    Took them up through the tunnel of trees to Leggs Inn for dinner. There are lots of bikes as it is a great ride. Lots of twisties. We got a lot of "looks" and smiles. But, it was worth it.