Nomad ADV experience

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Ghilly, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Ghilly

Ghilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up for those thinking about ordering from Nomad ADV. On 9/18/18 i placed an order for a full rally kit for my 2018 KTM 690 Enduro. Since that time it has been email back and forth with promises about shipping and sorry for the delays. As of today 12/15/18 they have not shipped. So today i filed with my credit card company so the charge will be disputed and they will be charged on it. I really wanted the kit they offer but which is why i let it go that long. This is just a warning to those looking at Nomad ADV for parts. Order at your own risk. I will likely be going with the RADE garage rally kit now.

Thanks,
    Ghilly
    Dan Diego, Fast1 and GF-kam like this.
  2. Bullet Burner

Bullet Burner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a similar experience but did finally get the kit for my 2017 690 after a couple of emails. Had some issues with the installation instructions and received marginal feedback from Nomad (oops we're sorry sent you the wrong directions). In the end I got it installed and am happy with everything except the reduced steering radius. Also ended up sending pics and install directions to another inmate who couldn't get install assistance from Nomad for some reason.
  3. Elkiller

Elkiller n00b

Oddometer:
    Nomad has a seemingly professional website and appear legit. They are far from it . I ordered parts over 2 months ago for my 690 and now im working with my credit card company to retrieve my money. They are thieves .......buyer beware
  4. Ghilly

Ghilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it looks nice and they email back with a day or 3. However, the responses are just emails to delay shipping the stuff you already paid for. I just let the credit card company deal with it and ordered a RADE garage full rally kit today.
  5. clawdog60

clawdog60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm glad I read this before placing an order.
    Maybe going through Cyclops is the way to get this rally kit? Need to find someone that has ordered from them.
    GF-kam likes this.
  6. Ghilly

Ghilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    after I cancelled my order and decided they were not a company I want to risk a bunch of money is when I ordered my rally kit from Rade garage
  7. yoohah

yoohah Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just placed the order of navigation towers for 3 different bikes (group buy). Also some additional stuff. I have been emailing through winter with Mike Schram. Replies have been quick and with enough information. If I remember I will update the progress. Currently I see the Nomad ADV as very legit company who stand behind their business.
  8. Ghilly

Ghilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is what i used to think. However, I can show you about 30 prompt response emails with all kinds of great excuses. Best of luck to you but I would not hold my breath. Did you pay already? Ask him when he will be shipping.
  9. 87mcmahan87

87mcmahan87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it took around two months to get my rally tower but I knew this going in since its a father son outfit.
    Yes the instructions are complete garbage.

I was also about 10 to 15 bolts short and 20 or so washers short. ( they just give you a bag full of nuts bolts and washers of all different sizes and you pretty much have to guess where it all goes)

I also had to do a fair bit of grinding ( on the underside plate peice from brp ignitionplate / stabilizer mount) and even drill a couple new holes to make it all work.

The installation was rough and routing everything so as not to get pinched or chaffed took hours in itself.

That all being said, the kit looks super nice, quality and sturdy. And will definitely be a rare bird, I dont think many people in the states have this kit. I have yet to test the bike, just fi ished the install.
    clawdog60 likes this.
  10. yoohah

yoohah Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have not paid yet. And no info for shipping so far. But as I said I just placed the order. My intention was to write a short review of the product and the customer experience to one of our nation wide magazine. I’ll have to wait for some time the progress. Let’s hope the best.
  11. crash alot

crash alot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, I don’t know how I stubbed up on this, but glad I did.....I was contemplating a 500 Ktm build, I’ll go check out RADE and see how that looks,

I also didn’t realize turning radius would be be decreased, anyone know approx how much

Bill
  12. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    The steering radius may be an issue as the nomad kit uses the OEM ktm rally screen. To use the screen in the position that it is on the rally bikes the bars with guards or either the nav gear will interfere, hence they may have to reduce the steering lock. The rally bikes have limited lock from what I understand compared to a 690 or 500 etc.

If this is correct, and someone may have more knowledge than me on this, doesn't at all excuse nomad or anyone else if the correspondence is lacking or not forthcoming in regards to shipping etc.

I don't own the kit and am not in the market for one. Just a comment in regards to limited lock of this or equivalent kits using the OEM ktm rally screen that may end up in the same boat in regards to steering lock.

If you want to know how much it is limited I'd guess the simple way of testing is to; (works on a exc, not really a 690 however the idea is similar)

1. stand directly in front of your bike with the headlight removed
    2. look at the frame from directly in front and draw and imaginary inline with the each side of the frame going forward.
    3. then adjust your steering stops so that the forks will not turn beyond that point.

Attached is a pic of a ktm frame; https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/eVcAAOSw-4BXbCqH/s-l640.jpg

The head tube as shown is about 62mm (1 1/2 inches) wide. As you'd turn the steering there needs to be an equivalent gap (imaginary) between the forks in front of the head tube. This since the triples are offset is going to limit the lock. No issue belting across an open plain pinned. A problem in tight single track. Not a normal route in rally raid, hence not an issue for a factory rally bike. Since however this is where the nomad kit for example gets their screen from a consequence of the design.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as it won't be the first time. :photog
    Fast1 and crash alot like this.
  13. crash alot

Oddometer:
    Thanks, for the reply, I’ll check it out and call rade about this concern

Basically I’m looking for a different than normal 500 ext, for mainly long duel sport rides with lots of blacktop , gravel , and wind protection..... Jeep trails and such, not looking for a single track weapon, I have a 350 xcf w for those duties,

But I also don’t want limited steering of the 950 adv I had, I want to turn the the mother or spin it around when I need to

Still glad I found this thread, it appears the rade will be lighter anyway .....correct me if I’m wrong,

I don’t want to deal with people who can’t run a business and has bad costumer service, .....of course, I do realize, I’m on the internet here...lol, however, never gone gone wrong trusting adv forum members
    clawdog60 likes this.
  14. crash alot

Oddometer:
    Rade uses more carbon fiber, less weight, fuel tank looks better and smaller, , I don’t need a ocean tanker in the states, ( I know how to to steal from farmers in a pinch) ...I like headlights of the rade better, however, all that alumn. On head lights might be the difference of weight saving of the carbon fiber?????

Hell won’t matter anyway, I tend to over pack
  15. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another 2 options may be Highway dirt bikes which I've dealt with and theres plenty of inmates here with good experiences.

Another, and with full disclosure I'll state that I'm not affiliated but do know, is Joe at Jebtech in Australia.

http://www.jebtech.com.au/#latest-project
    http://www.yenkro.com
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/ktm-500-husky-501-oz-adventure-bikes.1196072/page-74
    check post # 1465
    crash alot likes this.
  16. clawdog60

clawdog60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I received an email from cyclops in kent,WA and they have the Nomad rally kit for 500 excf in stock ready to ship. I asked about the tail rack and side plates but haven't heard about those yet.
  17. clawdog60

clawdog60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you try cyclops first?
    Maybe Nomad doesn’t want to bypass they’re retailers.
  18. clawdog60

clawdog60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you order direct from Nomad?
  19. clawdog60

clawdog60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yenkro doesn’t list a kit for 17 and up 500 excf
  20. Ghilly

Ghilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does not matter if they have retailers or not. They sell direct and are more than willing to take your money right then and there. After they take your money and don't ship that's the problem