NomadGal's Year on the Road

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by NomadGal, Jul 8, 2012.

1. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    It's tomorrow now. :deal :D
  2. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    Yes it is!!!
    I ran into some trouble however!!
    Put my tank on the bike and poured three gallons of gasoline in it from a gas can.
    Turned the petcock on and went to get something, when I got back into the garage i heard a dripping sound and smelled gas!
    AAhhhh, gas was pouring out of the petcock. At first I thought it was the little rubber ring inside the petcock behind the valve that might have cracked, but then I noticed that it came leaking out from where the bolts go in. Needless to say I thought I'd tighten it up a bit, but the plastic rings under the bolt heads had sunk in that far that I couldn't even reach it with the wrench. I ended up taking the tank off as fast as I could, gas leaking every where and me getting seriously nauseous! Once I got it of I titled it vertical and taped the hose facing up so the gas wouldn't leak out of it.
    I finally got the bolts out of the petcock and it looked like the plastic rings were cracked and warped. I taped up the holes and got my soggy gasoline pants off. Yuck!!!
    I'm glad the garage door opens!!!! :lol3 Let it air out in there for a while as the smell would get into my living area otherwise.
    Today I got the little plastic rings accompanied by some thicker plastic rings andy up top of that a metal washer! No more warping rings!!!
    I finished Spirit all the way, other than mounting the cases.
    The most amazing thing is that she started right up!!!! no coughing or anything like that, instant start-up!! Yippee.
    But….. then I went to check if the handgrip heaters worked, and the 12 volt charger, and neither of them work. :huh
    Yikes! So I guess tomorrow I will take the seat off and see if a wire got loose.
    I also haven't finished mounting the side bags to the tank bag, I want to have that done ere I take a picture and post it.
  3. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on getting the tough stuff completed. :thumb Sounds like the rest of the issues are minor annoyances that should be fairly easy for you to sort out.
  4. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    Spirit is Done!
    I spend all morning and a few hours in the afternoon trouble shooting the electrical wiring for the grip heaters and the 12 volt plug.
    As it turned out, the 12 volt plug worked, but somehow my GPS cord bit the dust! I had just used it a day ago in the car, but now it failed on me.
    The heated grips still don't work :cry I even bought a new relay. All the wiring is correct, so I think that the little heat troll box under the tank bit the dust. Oh well, I think one day I'll see if I can get a new one. It's summer right now, so hopefully my hands won't get too cold.

The only thing I wished I would have had time for is repainting the pelicans, they look shabby compared to the rest. The thought of taping all theses stickers up, well, I'm guessing that will take a lot of time. Still, if I get the urge to do so in the next three days I just might!!

[​IMG]

The color on the can was darker, it matched the tank bag, but after painting a few coats, I realized it will never be darker.
    Maybe the tank bag color will fade :D
    The paint job from far looks good, haha, just don't look up close! I painted the bike with a small 3/4 inch paint brush!

On another note…… I sure hope with all the weight on it the seat will be a tad lower! As it is, I can barely reach the ground!! I have the pelicans somewhat packed, but I guess I still have a bit more to put on there, especially my big dry-bag filled with my sleeping bag, sleeping pad, clothes and inside tent.
  5. HalcyonDaze

HalcyonDaze The Great Unwashed Mass

Oddometer:
    Spirit has the look of wisdom that only can be earned through experience.

May she ride long and well.
  6. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Looks ready to roll. The two of you have many fun miles ahead. :clap
  7. Nomadmom

Nomadmom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The color on the can was darker, it matched the tank bag, but after painting a few coats, I realized it will never be darker.
    Maybe the tank bag color will fade :D
    The paint job from far looks good, haha, just don't look up close! I painted the bike with a small 3/4 inch paint brush!

Orange is the colour of Saints, so you have something to think about!:clap
  8. theWolfTamer

theWolfTamer Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer:
    Beautiful! Looks perfect from here :D

Sent from my CW-V8S using Tapatalk
  9. GypsyWriter

GypsyWriter Yup, I'm a girl.

Oddometer:
    So, where to next? :lurk :ear
  10. AKXR4

AKXR4 XR rider

Oddometer:
    :clapOne of a kind! Now u just need a lil ak mud on those tires and a few mosquitos stuck to the headlight. Safe travels!
  11. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    Thank you! :raabia
    Good thing Spirit is wise, at least one of us is!! :lol3
    It's amazing how much I forgot not riding for 7 months!! I think it'll come back though:D

Yep I think we both are ready to roll, and how!!! Thank you, we will have fun! :D

Haha Mom, that may be so, but I am most definitely not a saint! But I'd like to have their wisdom for sure!! :raabia

Thanks wolftamer! I like her new look too :D

Leaving either Sunday afternoon or Monday morning early (depending on how much I get done cleaning) heading to Tok and then via top of the world road to Dawson for the annual D2D rally. After that Nova Scotia!
    I am thinking if there is someone going to Inuvik I might want to go there first, but I'm not sure, the weather has been rainy and going down miles and miles of mud is not my idea of fun!! :lol3

Thanks Darrin! I sure appreciated your help!!! I will swing by either tomorrow or Sunday to return the burner and drift! :norton
  12. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    It does look great and all you've done to it sounds great too!

Just a reminder that most of us won't be at http://www.thompsonseaglesclaw.com/ till Wed.

Also, keep in mind Fast Eddy's is a great place to eat in Tok with a good salad bar.

Good luck, have fun and hope to see you soon, Mark H.
  13. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a transformation!
  14. cheeseyboy

cheeseyboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bike looks great! Congrats on all the hard work that went into it. Can't wait to hear about your new trek.:D
  15. Shesaid

Shesaid Still Trippin'

Oddometer:
    I cringe at the thought of all that work with a 3/4" paint brush! But it was worth the effort-- she looks great!

On another note-- did I miss it? Or have you posted a picture of the wedding dress you made? I've been very impressed with all your projects along the way and was hoping to see the dress when it was finished.

Now ON WITH THE RIDING!:clap
  16. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's a room for you in Regina SK if you're passing through.
  17. Iron Sight

Iron Sight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You do good work!
  18. skymtb

skymtb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The bike looks great. Can't wait to read as you continue your journey. On a side note, we are getting into Fairbanks on Sunday, is there a source for Tasty Bite food in Fairbanks, I need to resupply.

Thanks and safe travels.
  19. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    Spirit looks AWESOME!!! I am drooling over the new color combo! :clap
    More Nomad Adventures in your future... WoooHooo!!! :norton

Side note... the heat troller box is pretty bombproof... I'm thinking it's but a small snafu that you'll discover after you've sloooowed down from all the thrashing you've been up to, and settled into the road :deal
  20. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    Yes!!!!! Fred Meyers East, near Walmart on Old Steese has tons of it!! They are currently on sale for $2.99!!
    I bought at least 10 days worth for my trip. I'll be testing out Spirit tomorrow, had a yard sale today so I couldn't.
    Let me know when you're at fFM, I'd like to swing by and say hi.