Non-Epic Daily Mayhem 2018 & Onward

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Project Mayhem, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mental Health Day
    10Aug18

Actually yesterday was the ‘mental health day’...but I spent it doing stuff around the house, chatting with Hannah (she’s in California with her dad...we’re very close to the end :(), and just not being at work.

Today I woke up feeling both angry and depressed about my situation at work. So after talking with Hannah quite a bit, a long chat with my professional mentor (a former boss and good friend), I took care of the dogs and decided to go for a ride.

My first thought was to take Il Mostro (Monster S4RS) out to break in the new tires he got a few days ago...but with the heat and not wanting to be around people I chose to take Annika exploring.
    We made our way to Rollinsville via the usual start to our westerly rides and then continued along the Tolland/East Portal Road towards the Moffat Tunnel.

Near Tolland
    [​IMG]

Taking the turn onto the Moffat Road/Rollins Pass Road at the split we started the gradual but steady climb. I hadn’t been up here before so I wasn’t sure how rough it was going to be...that was answered very quickly after the first rocky section and a good sized puddle (1.5 bike lengths long and about 16” deep)...I pulled over to drop the tire pressures.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Much like Switzerland Trail this was originally a railroad path and there are reminders everywhere...but this one was just too good to pass up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rocks, both embedded and loose, potholes and minor sandy bits were the order all the way up. There were a couple sections that made me nervous but I just stayed in ‘attack position’ and let Annika float underneath me. I also made myself give her a bit more gas in some of the roughest sections in order to stabilize our attitude. Funny how going slower is actually worse in some conditions. ‘When in doubt, throttle it out’
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just over 12 miles from the turn we reached the rock cut where the road has been blocked. Short of a very skilled trials rider I don’t think you’re getting a moto through here.

DE81E1E8-FAAD-4B14-BDB6-21340C0DB70A.jpeg

[​IMG]

I walked the last 1/2+ mile up to the target for the day- the East portal of the Needle’s Eye tunnel.
    [​IMG]

Jenny Lake
    [​IMG]

It partially caved in back in the late ‘70s and was reopened around ‘89 only to be closed again in ‘90 when someone got hurt by rockfall. Plus, the wooden trestles on the West side are not really safe for vehicles at this point. (Or so they say)
    FAB16AF4-9142-4421-8E70-3662717FEF93.jpeg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A 1/2 mile hike is no big deal...except when you’re doing it in riding gear at a bit over 11,000 feet above sea level. But, the grade is quite mild so I just hoofed it up there and took some pictures- Then headed back to the bike where I had a snack and then reversed course.

The ride down was easier overall, in no small part because I think I was a bit more acclimated to the conditions and knew what to expect and how to best deal with it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

:jack
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I saw 3 other bikes during my time up there...two Yamaha 250’s and then a Honda CRF or the likes- No other big bikes on this day.

It’s a BEAUTIFUL area with just the right level of difficulty for a novice, especially on a big bike, and despite the (relatively) heavy traffic it’s a great ride. Lots of cars/trucks/mountain bikers but that has its positives in that I knew that help wouldn’t be too far off should Annika take a nap. (Or worse)

Total for the day was about 60 miles door to door and the high point was ~11,300 feet at the tunnel entrance. I felt much better when I got home and cracked that Shiner Bock.

Moto-therapy...it’s a thing.

:beer
    Merfman, bobw, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  2. CoastieBiker

CoastieBiker ATGATT makes me look like a giant Minion

Oddometer:
    Good of you to take off on a ride to some amazing scenery! Nothing better than a motorcycle jaunt to clear the mind. I've enjoyed all the write ups of your travels, glad to have found your RRs. Thanks for all the work you've put in to them and sharing with us Inmates. :-)
    Project Mayhem likes this.
  3. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words @CoastieBiker, much appreciated! :beer

On a less pleasant note, I'm off to the Bay Area this evening...Hannah's dad passed last night. :( 71 years just doesn't seem that long anymore.
    For those reading, do me a favor- give those you care about (including your bike(s)) a hug and don't forget to appreciate, and make the most of, the time you have in this sphere.
    Merfman, bobw, B10Dave and 1 other person like this.
  4. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Vic,

Sorry to hear about Mike, please give Hannah our condolences and safe travels...
    Mrs Mayhem and Project Mayhem like this.
  5. bobfab

bobfab Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Vic and Hannah, belated condolences to you both. I hope you are doing as well as you can.

I am so happy to find this thread. It has been too long. I hope one day soon i can be one of those "visitors" you speak of. Cheers bud!
  6. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for your loss Hannah. 71 is way to young to be checking out.
  7. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Embracing Indian Summer
    29Sep18

It’s definitely getting to be Fall here on the Front Range...Mornings are cool (lows in the 30-40 range) and the highs are extremely variable- 50-80’s. So when presented with a Saturday where it was upper 40’s when we woke up and the highs down in town were going to be in the low 80’s it was time to make the most of it!

We haven’t been on any rides, other than the commute to work, since my last post. Dealing with all the stuff related to Hannah’s Dad passing (this has been VERY hard for her), an insane workload for both of us (Hannah just got promoted to manager of her group), funky weather, and needing to get lots of neglected stuff around the house dealt with before Winter has left little time for riding. (We’ll get our first snow within the next few weeks)

This is not good.

All work and no play makes Vic a dull boy.

All
    Work
    And
    No
    Play
    Makes
    Vic
    A
    Dull
    Boy.

All work and no play makes Hannah go something something.
    :boid

We got a good, and much needed, sleep and then mounted up Annika & Franz...Hannah wanted to do the ride I had done back in June and see the Shambhala Mountain Center.
    Off we went along our usual path out to Peak to Peak, Central City Parkway, I-70 (BAD traffic) to US40, over Berthoud Pass (moderate traffic) and on to our first stop of the day at the 7-Eleven in Granby for fuel (for Franz) & a snack (for us).
    [​IMG]

Make the turn on to CO125 towards Walden and revel in the good pavement, the lack of traffic and the colors...they’re a bit muted this year and changed fast (and early) due to drought stress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turn onto Jackson County Road 27 at Rand and play in the marbles, washboard and thicker softer stuff in the corners. A quick stop at the Owl Ridge East overlook and then out to the intersection with CO14...Up to Cameron Pass and then down the Poudre Canyon.

[​IMG]

A girl and her motorcycle...it’s a beautiful thing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure of the name of this mountain, but it caught my eye today. (On the climb up to Cameron Pass)
    [​IMG]

We arrived at the Shambhala Center, stripped off our protective gear and walked up to the Great Stupa of Dharmakaya. After a lap around the stupa (‘circumambulation’) we went inside for a 10-15 minute sit and so that Hannah could check it all out. It was busier than when I was here in June...Saturday vs. Friday will do that I guess. But, we were still able to have our reflection time and then have our lunch in the same peaceful spot where I ate last time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A funny short video of Hannah riding can be found here and a short video of where we had our lunch can be seen here. (Turn on the sound)

Back out to CO14 and down the canyon another 14 miles or so to Stove Prairie and we twisted and turned our way through Buckhorn and Rist Canyons to our turn near Horsetooth State Park to get to my friend’s house. A nice visit, a chance to check out the Model A he acquired from his father (originally his grandparents car), and then we had to make a decision...continue on our original route even though we got a late start and all the traffic had slowed us down- or- take the direct route home, still get home in the dark, but shave ~40 minutes off the time in realization that the dogs had already been alone for ~9 hours.

Being the good canine parents we are, we sacrificed the fun route (S. St. Vrain Canyon & Peak to Peak) for the well being of our fur kids.

A stop at the marina store to get some Bike Bacon for zee Germans and then back roads most of the way to Berthoud. Pick up US287 to Longmont (where I swapped my tinted shield for clear and Hannah exchanged sunglasses for regular glasses), across town and CO119 to Boulder...Through Boulder, up our canyon and we were home.

Leah & Gunny were very happy to see us. (And needed to PEE!)

A couple Modelo Especials, a quick dinner and we were ready to call it a night.

Total mileage for the day: 298 miles
    We both got some much needed quality saddle time and Hannah got her first taste of the Shambhala Center...and hopefully made a little peace with the universe.
    Merfman, bobw, B10Dave and 1 other person like this.
  8. black 8

Oddometer:
    Glad to see the two of you have some quality motorcycle therapy...
    Project Mayhem and B10Dave like this.
  9. Merfman

Merfman Cape truster... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice PM! Glad you got some much needed helmet time. My condolences to you and Hannah for your loss of family... BTDT, never easy.
  10. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Wildlife Sighting
    Saturday, 04May19

It’s happened- Hannah made the decision and we went to check out some bikes. She had her eye on an ‘18 XCx but even with the low seat it was too tall by a good bit. She then tried on a ‘19 F850GS low with the low seat...it was even taller than the XCx. :becca
    So that really only left one choice...a ‘18 Triumph Tiger 800 XRx with the standard suspension (we were trying really hard to get away from ‘low’ suspension models for performance reasons). She took it out for a test ride with the low seat and really liked the bike...but hated the seat. She then tried the regular ‘comfort’ seat in the low position and the difference in height was negligible but the increase in comfort was huge.

And that’s how a Tiger followed us home- Because we, obviously, needed another brand in the herd. (Franz will be finding a new home shortly)
    @Mrs Mayhem ’s first brand new bike and the first one of her purchases that she’s felt confident enough to ride home from the point of sale...it’s a banner day!

Orders for Touratech, SW-Motech, and Altrider parts have been placed...well, the first round of orders that is. :D
    7FE6B3FE-EB13-4430-80A7-F20C27F504B8.jpeg 14302F5C-2E35-46ED-9695-53D6F08502CC.jpeg
    355306E8-64F5-4687-A898-D887D42C9A9D.jpeg
    bobfab and black 8 like this.
  11. black 8

Oddometer:
  12. CoastieBiker

CoastieBiker ATGATT makes me look like a giant Minion

Oddometer:
    The Lady and the Tiger, a perfect match! Looking forward to the new adventures. :-)
  13. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:

OPERATION SPORTSHOVEL
    Thursday, 06Jun19

It’s been a long Winter...and a longer, colder, wetter Spring- Made all the colder by losing our boy Gunny (Guns/Mr. Gunderson/Gummy Bear) on 10May. :(
    [​IMG]

We’ve had this hop in the works for a while now and it’s much needed...A little time away from the stresses of work and enough open road/helmet-time to work on processing whatever one needs to work through.

Ruby (@Mrs Mayhem ‘s ‘07 Sportster 1200) and the Shovel Headed Kill Machine (my ‘76 FXE) have spent the past few years with our Texas Family on the south side of Houston...and have received some upgrades while there. Ruby got a nifty new LED headlight and some general TLC while the SHKM got her motor rebuilt, a front end upgrade (forks & brakes off an ‘08 Dyna), and a cool sissy bar (fab’d by Bryan at White Wall Garage) to hold my gear on the ride home.

Tuesday was an early flight to Hobby followed by tacos, hanging with our people & dinner with our friends from Devil and the Deep Brewery.

Wednesday was making sure everything was as ready as it could be...when one rides a 43 year old bike there’s always something.

And shortly after I post this it’s kickstands up and we’re on the road.

We’re hoteling it the whole way since there weren’t any TentSpace folks where we needed them. As a result we didn’t have to bring much- a few clothes (very few), tools (many) and some appropriate riding gear. Klim K Fifty 2 jeans for me (an upgrade from my old Draggin’ Jeans) and some Klim ‘armored underwear’ & knee pads for Hannah to wear under her existing riding jeans since we couldn’t find any riding jeans with armor (knee/hip) that would fit over her boots.

WTF?! It’s 2019- there are more women riding than ever and the selection of serious women’s riding gear is still woefully lacking.
    So, as always, Improvise-Adapt-Overcome.

Spotwalla link is at the top of this post if you care to follow along.

Our basic itinerary is:
    Webster—>Uvalde—>Marfa—>Roswell—>Alamosa—>HOME (with as little time on interstates as possible)
    I’ll try to update tonight when we get to Uvalde...but you know how it goes. :beer
    ShimrMoon and black 8 like this.
  14. black 8

Oddometer:
    Safe travels Mayhems... :super
  15. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Status update-
    The charging system on my bike has failed and we’re on the side of the road...on the West side of San Antonio.
    We replaced the battery in Hallettsville after lunch and then rode through a couple biblical-style walls of water- and then, after jumpstarting the bike a couple times the battery simply gave out.
    AAA has been called and we’re thinking that the rest of the trip will be done in a rented cube truck.
    :baldy
  16. bobfab

bobfab Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Phew been there before (with the cube truck). Here's to a speedy extraction
  17. black 8

Oddometer:
    Damn... :(

I was looking at the Spotwalla track a while back and saw you two have not moved in a while thinking you have stopped for the night at a hotel. So I went to google maps/satellite view and saw nothing but an open field next to an excavation site...

Fingers crossed over here that you can troubleshoot and keep going... let us know what your plans are and if you need some long distance assist...
  18. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Thanks fellas, really appreciate the support & concern. :beer
    The voltmeter says that the charging system isn’t...so I get one start and then about 100 miles before there’s not enough juice to run the ignition system. So, the Ol’ Girl/Bitch is down until we can replace the entire system. (Stator/regulator/battery)
    Despite the obvious disappointment with my Shovel & the resulting change in our plans we’re doing our best to look at it this way- Neither of us is injured, we’re not stranded and it’s not a huge financial strain.
    And with that...
    Ruby & the SHKM as we were ready to leave the Old Dude & Mama Helf’s place in Webster
    [​IMG]

Hiding under shelter waiting out a nasty bit of rain & hail (and street flooding) in Seguin, TX...only to get caught in an equally nasty cell on I-10 that had traffic down to ~20MPH and soaked us to the bone. (To be repeated on the East side of San Antonio, only we hid in a gas station for the worst of that one)
    [​IMG]

The Old Dude & I waiting on the tow truck after stripping my bike & sending the gear in the truck with Mama Helf (who drove behind Hannah) to a nearby hotel- that was NOT the hotel we had planned on staying at.
    [​IMG]

And showing off our tiedown work in the truck we rented from Penske to get things home...it was cheaper to rent this 16’ truck, with a ramp, than a pickup. :hmmmmm
    [​IMG]

And of course the better looking of the pair looking perfectly at home driving this pig beast along I-10 (and I do mean the truck...not myself :jack)
    [​IMG]

We made it to Marfa, TX and to our (non-refundable) room at the Hotel Paisano...stayed here once before, nice place. Had dinner at Al Campo and we’d highly recommend it should you be out this way.
    Tomorrow we make more miles, perhaps ride the Sporty a bit and aim for Raton or Trinidad.
    Pie for Strength!
    black 8 likes this.
  19. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    08Jun19
    Raton, NM
    We have been pizza’d and beer’d and are at the hotel...did a bit over 600 miles today. (Marfa, TX—> Raton, NM)
    Should be home tomorrow with about 4 hours of driving.
    High note: ‘Brunch’ in Carlsbad, NM
    You can take the boy out of New Mexico, but that boy is gonna miss his Lotaburger with cheese & double green chile with enough ferocity that he won’t miss an opportunity to get one...even if it’s 10:15 in the morning! :lol3
    51BDB7F9-EDF2-4EB7-BF13-1DE8403E3AF2.jpeg
    black 8 likes this.
  20. black 8

Oddometer:
    :fpalm... now I've got a cravin' for a messy burger after seein' that...