Non-Epic Daily Mayhem 2018 & Onward

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Project Mayhem, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy Summer Solstice...we’re waiting on a rescue from Walden, CO. :(
    2A63F31F-A151-49F4-BA0C-233E0568882A.jpeg
  2. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    I'd hit the like button buuuutttttt... :vardy
    Project Mayhem likes this.
  3. CoastieBiker

CoastieBiker ATGATT makes me look like a giant Minion

Oddometer:
    What brand of snow tires do you use on your bikes for that summer riding? :imaposer
  4. ShimrMoon

ShimrMoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check Aerostich, MotoPort, and Revit for gear.
  5. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    ‘Fun’ with Vintage Motorcycles
    10Jul19

Yesterday’s commute didn’t quite work out...but more on that in a moment.

After the charging system failure on the (attempted) ride home from Texas I tore into the SHKM.
    [​IMG]
    Left floorboard, outer primary, clutch plates/pressure plate/springs/pushrod, compensator/primary chain/clutch drum, clutch hub, starter Bendix, rotor/stator, starter & solenoid, inner primary...it takes a fair bit to get to the damn stator on these bikes!

[​IMG]
    Those wires were no longer connected to anything...

[​IMG]

During the disassembly I found an errant chain side plate in the bottom of the inner primary- and after inspecting the primary chain I found where it came from...talk about a time bomb!
    [​IMG]

I also found that most of the clutch hub fingers had noticeable groves, there was no lock washer on the clutch hub nut, and that the fasteners holding the inner primary to the engine/transmission needed to be replaced (no lockwire & worn lock nuts).

So, in addition to a new stator/rotor/regulator the Ol’ Girl also got a new compensator assembly, primary chain, complete clutch hub, clutch hub nut WITH a lock tab washer, new (drilled for wire) bolts and nylock nuts, case saver on the starter flange (chain bite was obvious) and of course new gaskets all around.
    [​IMG]
    Mmmmmm...new stator

[​IMG]
    Almost there...

The voltmeter showed that the battery was receiving the appropriate voltage and it was time for test rides to dial in the clutch adjustments and (attempt to) track down/eliminate some of the more egregious oil leaks.

Fast forward to yesterday (09Jul19)...and I thought it would be fun to ride the Shovel to work.

And it was.

Until the clutch cable broke (lever end ball) 3 miles from work.
    If this was a highway ride I could’ve managed...but I had to get across Boulder and the many stoplights/rush hour traffic along the way.
    [​IMG]
    That’s not supposed to look like that...

So, find neutral and coast/push our way into the Flatirons Subaru parking lot. The service consultant I spoke with said it was fine to leave the bike there and asked if I needed a ride...pretty outstanding. :smile6
    But I had already contacted my teammate and she was on her way to get me.

After a bit of poking around I found Frontline Cycles in Longmont (about 15 minutes drive from my work) and called...I knew I was talking to the right guy when I said ‘The clutch cable on my ‘76 FXE just broke...got anything that might work?’ And the response was ‘Cool, I have a Shovel too- give me a minute’. The gentleman came back a moment later and said he had an old OEM takeoff that wasn’t in perfect shape but that should work and that he’d set it aside for me.

Get work stuff rolling, borrow my teammate’s car, back to my bike, strip off the broken part for comparison, drive to Frontline and get the replacement part ($5...thank you very much Mark!), return to work to meet with a client, then go back and get the cable installed...only to find that the lever end ball was too big to fit the keeper.

Back to work & into the shop, drill out the big end of the keeper just a little (1/64th inch) and then arrange for Hannah to pick me up.

Back to the bike, generate enough slack in the line by backing off the clutch pushrod, and viola- Functional cable installed!

A rather stressful day with a bunch of running around, but thanks to the kindness of the Subaru place, the good fortune of finding a crusty old school independent H-D shop nearby, the ability to borrow a friend’s car, and of course Hannah’s helping out at the end...we got the Shovel home under her own power. :D

I’ve ordered a brand spankin’ new cable & keeper and will keep this old piece as a spare...’cause you just never know.
    :beer
    bobfab and black 8 like this.
  6. CoastieBiker

CoastieBiker ATGATT makes me look like a giant Minion

Oddometer:
    Nice that you had a project to keep you occupied until all that summer snowfall melted... :-)