(Non-moto related) - How do I find very specific industry retail sales info?

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by jet123, Aug 6, 2008.

1. jet123

jet123 Using all my gears Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure where this should be posted, so move if need be.

I am needing some specific retail sales information from what is probably considered a few different (maybe not) industries. I am looking for sales figures for aerosol lubricant type products (ie - WD-40, Tri-Flow, CRC products, Gunk products, etc).

What I specifically want would look something like this:
    • The WD-40 company sold xxx amount of the WD-40 brand lubricant in 2007 for these size cans...
    • The Gunk brand had 2007 sales of the following:
      • Carb Cleaner - xxx quantity
      • Brake Cleaner - xxx quantity
    I have spent quite a few hours searching on my own, but nothing specific enough. I have contacted some resources (business research firms, stat companies, etc.) that seem to have this type of information, but nothing specific to what's above.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find product / brand specific sales figures? I bet it's the same type of resources that I have already contacted, but not the ones I have contacted so far. I don't mind paying for this as is reasonable for what I am after (I think), but not looking to hire a full-blown marketing & research effort.

Thanks & PM me off-line...

John
  2. Crepular

Crepular Ride, Drop, Repeat. . .

Oddometer:
    Why not call the companies themselves. I'll bet they have some business analysts willing to share that info. If they're publicly held, it might even be in their annual reports.
  3. jet123

Oddometer:
    You would think... and did that for some. So far, nobody wants to give that info out (many non-returned phone calls or just flat-out won't give that info).
  4. jet123

Oddometer:
    I also looked through some annual reports - all financials so far. They don't seem to have data that says 'we sold 3 million 12 ounce cans of WD-40 in 2007'.
  5. BeemerBizz

BeemerBizz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you doing some sort of graduate research paper? I am just curious, why are you looking for this data?
  6. jet123

Oddometer:
    Developed a retail item that is used in conjunction with aerosol-based products that use a straw for product delivery (ie - WD40).

I am needing to generate some figures on retail sales for these aerosol products.
  7. Babo

Babo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got eight (8) WD40 straws missing in my garage. They are probably under my bench.

The precise amount of time it takes for me to misplace one of those straws, once it has been removed from the side of the can, is six (6) seconds.

Hope this helps in some way.

:lol3
  8. jet123

Oddometer:
    It does! it confirms the need for my product :clap
  9. Ken Fritz

Ken Fritz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Contact the corporate sales vp's office at major retailers, e.g., Schuck's, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, Napa, ACE, True Value, etc., and let them know you have an idea for a new or better way of doing something; tell them you need the approximate sales info and what they figure their market share to be for whatever products your item benefits. From that you can extrapolate the size of the market.
    They know what they bought and sold, but don't want their competitors to know. SWEAR you will never reveal the data - offer to sign a non-disclosure/confidentiality agreement. Let them know this is for your feasability study, etc., and figure an angle that lets them know they will benefit from your product. Don't reveal your item in detail without getting a nondisclosure/confidentiality statement from them - protect yourself - that's how business is done. Who knows? You may get a capital investor/partner interested.
    If the guys at corporate won't tell you, go ahead and ask a couple of retail store managers how many cans they move in a month. It's probably in the computer onsite. Use that and extrapolate the sales by multiplying that number by the number of stores in the chain. You should be able to get a ballpark idea, but then reduce it by at least 10% (no telling which month you got numbers for - a good month or a slow month) - retail is better in certain months than others, so your best bet is to not over-estimate the annual quantity. Maybe you can contact a lobbying firm that works on behalf of the aerosol spray industry? Or a group who HATES aerosols? They both should know the size of the market. Contact both to get different numbers. Getting and evaluating the accuracy of this kind of market info is like a game. I used to do it a lot and it's not always easy. Have fun.
  10. jet123

Oddometer:
    We're thinking alike...

I am already going locally - doing my best to persuade folks for the info. Been also doing the confidential doc thing - both ways as I need to protect my product too.

Although I am having small success on the local level, it's the national level I am getting snubbed.

No worries - just gotta change my approach :evil

Thanks,

John