non wifi or gps iphone radar?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by motorrad3DP, Nov 21, 2019.

1. motorrad3DP

motorrad3DP motorrad3DP@gmail.com

Oddometer:
    i’m confused about something.

i’ve been monkeying around with a garmin 276c and have some kind of sirius XM receiver of some kind for it. i do know it requires a paid subscription.

can i get somtheing like this for the iphone as an overlay in something like garmin pilot? does something like the airplane app foreflight get “non wifi/cell” radar? i mean can i get “back country radar” on the cell while navigating?

what about a “static” radar app that does not let me navigate at the same time like myradar or radarscope? is it accessible when you do not have cell or wifi?

Attached Files:

2. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    All radar apps require cellular data except if you have an inreach you can get weather data on the device screen but it is just basic data no slick looking full app so forecast but not radar layer. This is coming from iridium sats so anywhere with a view of sky.
    yokesman and motorrad3DP like this.
  3. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Radar data has to come from somewhere, cell / wifi / Sirius XM / or ????. Most likely with a fee involved.
  4. motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    thanks. so an inreach will do radar without cell or wifi?
  5. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    1 the iPhone doesn't have an antenna for that, so no.

2 and 3 take a screen shot of the myradar app while you have service, then you can cozy up to the outdated data that shows perfect riding weather until the rain stops.

;-)
  6. motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    i’m not sure i understand.

what type of antenna do you need to pick up radar? or maybe i should ask another way and ask /how- is the data for radar transmitted? it is picked up by radar stations that are dispersed around the globe? how does it get transmitted?

and what are the ways i can pick it up. via some kind of data stream from myradar or radar APPS that pick up this data and transmit it via wifi or cell service? or i guess the data is “in the air” and the apps just allow me to pick up the data with my phone and then see it visually?

how does the sirius XP receiver work exactly? and this hardware requires a paid service to be able to pick up the data? i mean i don’t understand how the hardware picks it up and displays it either really.
  7. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am sorry I was not clear. Inreach will NOT do radar display. It will give you local weather. https://inreach.roadpost.ca/inreach-weather-forecasts/

I don't think xm radio will give a radar display either just audio.

data for radar specifically is transmitted from thousands of weather stations around the country and somehow aggregated in to a modern weather app on a phone often for free but this only works with cell or wifi service.
    motorrad3DP likes this.
  8. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    THANKS
  10. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    referring to your earlier post about the ancient GPS hardware that could receive radar info.... whatever that antenna is, the iPhone doesn't have it.
  12. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was not aware of this tech. After reading up on the aviation grade data it appears that it can be as much as 30 minutes old because it goes through an extensive collection, analysis and sometimes editing process. Planes are still advised to keep 20 miles away from severe storms. I'm not sure the accuracy of this for slow land travel is really worth it.
    ohgood likes this.
  13. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    here's what happens when it is really 8 minutes old and your NEXRAD weather display is telling you it's 1 minute old