1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Noob in over her head

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by RayT, Dec 16, 2019.

1. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh my gosh, Vince, why didn't I think of that?!?! That's brilliant!! Thank you for sharing that - I'm definately going to give that a try!! And thanks for encouraging me along!! I'm having so much fun, and loving all the challenges - there's nothing quite like conquering each new little bit. Yesterday, it was something as simple as figuring out how to use a battery tender myself. Small successes are such a thrill, and then they start adding up, and then the fun really begins!! And, I"ve found most all dual-sport folks to be awesome folks, happy to help ya along your learning curve. Ride safe!! :-)
    squidchief likes this.
  2. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OHH, that's so good to know!! I may just have to do that - it's often the scariest thing I do each ride, trying to finagle that bike on and off that rack without dumping it several feet onto the ground. A park lady pointed out a ditch for me to use where we were riding, so I could get the carrier pretty level to the ground. And, at home, I realized I had this little retaining wall that I could pull up to and load and unload, but when I get out in the world, I'm never sure what I'm going to find. Thx for the suggestion - maybe the perfect Christmas present... to myself!! ;-)
  3. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, I didn't know there were bear up there!! Awesome. Love the pics and video - made my morning, watching you and pup going!!
    NxtGoRnd likes this.
  4. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Holy SHIT!!! I'm gonna be a master in nooooo time!! :rofl

yoda.jpg
    LoneWolf3, mattoid1, N22WLZ and 8 others like this.
  5. usedtobefast

usedtobefast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking at your bike on the carrier ... most people put them on the other way, front wheel on the right side. It looks like the wheel cut outs might be different sizes on the different sides? Meaning, your rear tire really goes way down into the carrier and makes it hard to get off? Whereas if you had the 21" front that way it would be easier to roll off?

Also if you are going to be doing a bunch of off road riding, gearing the bike down a bit (changing sprockets) and putting full knobby dirt bike tires would help a lot. But then that combo isn't the best if you are riding on the street a lot.

And the "falling is a part of learning" thing ... well, people certainly shouldn't mentally beat themselves up if they drop their dirt bike, but falling often hurts, can cause injuries, damages the bike (and body), etc., so certainly better to avoid it ... and do a bit of bike set up and easier practice.

And the "if you ain't crashing you ain't riding hard enough" thing ... I race off road and a primary goal of mine in a race is to not crash, you aren't making much progress towards the finish line tumbling along on the ground, hitting rocks or trees! :-) And if you are racing a series, breaking your bike or body during a crash at 1 race can end your series chances. I know you aren't racing, but it isn't like you gotta get 250 crashes/drops out of the way to become a better rider ... you can do that without hitting the ground a lot.
    RayT likes this.
  6. Leystone

Leystone Back in the saddle

Oddometer:
    Great job out there, keep at it. Was fun watching the video.
    RayT likes this.
  7. PapaBravo

PapaBravo MoneyMaker Shaker

Oddometer:
    Nice story and great job. Check out "Rick's Eastern Rendezvous" in the Rallies section. You'll learn a whole lot and it's a great group of people for both on and off road riding (and lots of beer!).
    RayT likes this.
  8. Offcenter

Offcenter On The Road Again!

Oddometer:
    RayT, nice video! I look at it this way....
    You learn how to stay up, by falling down. LOL!!!
    A few years ago, I got my 900 pound Goldwing, biggest bike made and the biggest I've ever owned.
    I was more than a bit nervous about slow speed stuff with it when I first got it.
    I must have dropped it on it's side more than 7 or 8 times in the first few months, which was particularly
    embarrassing since I've been riding all my life!
    (thank God for engine guards. LOL!)
    I took QUITE A WHILE to get used to the weight.
    Now I'm so used to it that I think nothing of it and wouldn't
    trade it for anything.
    One morning you'll head out and suddenly it will all fall into
    place. One morning you'll just "get it" and it will be like you've been
    doing it all your life.
    As Jim Bronson would say, "Hang in there!"
    (Google "Then Came Bronson" if you aren't familiar with the reference.)
  9. Mofo Flake

Mofo Flake Incompetent off-road Supporter

Oddometer:
    squidchief and RayT like this.
  10. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great job!!! You will figure out the unloading, loading thing. As mentioned by used to be. you will try & find the easier way to get the bike on and off the carrier.
    Highland Park in Cedartown GA is nice and the wife and I have a favorite for all-round riding Two Wheels Of Suches GA. Trailers do work good also!! DSCN0614.JPG
    LoneWolf3 and RayT like this.
  11. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    usedtobefast - educate me plz :-) When you say "gear the bike down" what does that mean, how do you physically do that - does that give more power on the low end? And, no, that bike wasn't really purchased for any serious amount of road riding - it was purchased to get me ready for, and to ride, the TAT. So your suggestion makes sense.

Funny how your brain gets locked into something, like putting the bike on in a certain direction - I will try the other way and see if that makes it easier. I love this forum - I've gotten a couple of ideas one things to try to make this easier and more successful for myself. Thank you so much!

Yeah, I'm a live-to-play-another-day kinda gal - I agree with you!! I accept the risk of falling, and of getting hurt, but it certainly short-circuits the whole learning process if you're laid up for weeks or months. I so got in over my head on this one! I'm usually baby-stepping my way into the next challenge, so I can keep progressing slow and steady. There's not a whole lot of progress when you're just holding on for dear life and especially when you can't fathom commiting to the thing in front of you b/c it bends your brain so badly. I hit a mental wall out there a time or two, and I had to shove it way down to keep going. Whew!!
    bikerjim2000 likes this.
  12. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leystone - thanks so much!! So glad you enjoyed it - a friend compiled the crashes - I thought it was more fun to watch than when we were just covering ground. lol Happy Holidays to you and yours!
  13. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PapaBravo - Oooh, I did check it out - it's in Murphy - sooo close by!! Thank you for the suggestoin!! I'm loving the people who ride - most everyone is sooo generous and helpful and fun!! Thanks so much for the positive feedback - this has been such an incredible adventure!!
  14. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lol - thanks - but, I can't take credit for the video - one of the guys I was riding with was kind enough to put it together and share it. I love it, I laugh!!

Offcenter - I soo very much appreciate the encouragement - it's great to hear from people who have "been there" before me, and that are willing to share - it does help me to keep on keeping on. I'm always recovering from one massive bruise or wound just as I'm getting the next ones!! Riding on-road has felt like that - when I started last year, everything was overwhelming - I remember how big and cumbersome my little 250 felt, and now it surprises me how little she feels and just how comfortable I am with taking her for a spin. My 800 still has it's moments when I feel like I'm in over my head, but nothing like when I started riding it. I'm hoping I feel the same way about the dirt a year from now!!

All the best to you, Happy Holidays!!
  15. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you!! :-) I keep working at it, modifying things, trying new approaches. I figure eventually I'll be yacking my head off while getting the bike off and on - right now it's my nemesis!! lol. I sooo want to do the Two Wheel of Suches rides. Right when I found it, they were done for the year - they're going to do it every Sat starting in the new year tho!! Can't wait - hope to cross paths! Happy Holidays to you and your wife!!
  17. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

never heard of it

:augie
    PapaBravo likes this.
  18. mhr650

mhr650 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The advantage of gearing down for off road (smaller front sprocket and or larger rear sprocket) is that it allows you to ride slower through the difficult terrain without stalling or having to pull in the clutch. I even did it on the mighty KTM 1290 which has all the power in the world, before I changed the front sprocket from 17 tooth to 16 the slowest I could go without pulling in the clutch was 9mph, now I can go down to 6mph. May not sound like a lot but when you are on a really technical trail that can make all the difference in the world.

Knobbies are obviously a huge upgrade for off road riding, but good DOT approved knobbies work amazingly well on pavement too.

Rick's Rendezvous is a great rally, but be prepared for a seriously rowdy crowd lol.
    RayT likes this.
  19. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mhr - thanks for the explanation - no, I get the really slow speeds. I know when I was riding down through miles of rocky stuff in Helen, which was def technical for me, I was paying a little bit of attention to the speeds I was running and 8 mph was common, so I can see the advantage of being able to get the speed down that low without having to mess with the clutch. I'd already had a bit of tennis elbow, and I really feel it after a long day of riding in my elbow - it's screaming at me from all that clutch work!! And, the bike is for off-road mainly, so I'll def look into that!! Thx again!!
  20. PapaBravo

PapaBravo MoneyMaker Shaker

Oddometer:
    When I said "a really great group of people" it should have read "a really great group of SERIOUSLY FUN AND SARCASTIC FFs"
    RayT likes this.