1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Noob in over her head

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by RayT, Dec 16, 2019.

1. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

:lol3

i ressamble that
    RayT and squidchief like this.
  2. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thankyou!! DSCN0410.JPG TWO WINTER 2018.jpg
    LoneWolf3 and RayT like this.
  3. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Henryarms77 - sorry I've been so slow getting back - was getting my girl married off... way out-of-state, lol. Now, it's back to the regularly scheduled fun!! ;-) Thanks for all the info - I've got all sorts of pages pulled up to look into everything you shared. There's something about the off-road riding that's such a high!! And, you are so right, it's been such an incredible community of folks from everything I've experienced so far - most everybody seems happy to have new people join in, to show 'em the ropes, give out helpful advice, share what they know about any- and everything!! Only wish I'd started earlier, but I"m determined to make up for lost time!! Happy New Years and Happy Riding!!
    WYFNG and squidchief like this.
  4. wjfawb0

wjfawb0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep learning and trying things out and you'll get the hang of it. Learn, plan, and protect your body. Maybe see you around the area. I don't get out that much, but I've been trying to do phototag in middle tennessee and east tennessee a bit. I know quite a few ladies who attend the women's sportbike rally. Most of them ride dual sport bikes. The group does a lot of learning stuff. Rallies can be fun too. I try to go to Ribfest in Centerville, TN every October. The more time you spend around the inmates here and the more you do, the better it gets.
    RayT likes this.
  5. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Wonder if a recluse clutch device would help you...
    RayT and Little Bike like this.
  6. ShakDan

ShakDan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I loved reading this! You give me courage. I hope I can find a group to take me under their wing like you did.
    You might be my new girl crush! LOL!
    RayT and WYFNG like this.
  7. Dtx915

Dtx915 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try to load and unload from the rear brake side. When you do this you can just reach down with one hand and drag the brake, works with trailers or on ramps. With that style ramp a extra pin can be put into the ramp so the wheel will roll easy as that a good sized hole to push a bike out of.
    RayT likes this.
  8. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing and I think you're doing a fantastic job! You found a good group of riders help you out during the learning curve. I just purchased the Rally as well, what great bike! We all hope you share your journey as you go.

Eric
    [​IMG]
    RayT and WYFNG like this.
  9. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Norty - I just started reading up on the Rekluse clutch. I think I must be a little confused about its purpose. I'm always trying to learn and understand - was wondering what your thinking was for me on this. :-) Plz educate the noob!! ;-)
  10. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WJ - thank you for the encouragement and the info - it's so exhilirating and overwhelming all at once, and I'm trying to soak up everything! Hope we cross paths!! Will be trying to connect up with more folks when I touch back down in TN mid-Feb.
  11. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ShakDan - sorry I'm slow to getting back and replying. I'm so tickled I gave you courgage - I think there's always someone or some someones who help us along on our journey to tackle new things. It's so nice to cross paths with another unicorn, there are so few of us gals out here running around in the woods. If you ever want to meet up and go running around, let me know. I'll be back in the area mid-Feb and I'm always game for a road trip - SC is just over the mountains and there's all that good mountainous stuff in the middle!! :-)
    ShakDan likes this.
  12. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thx Dtx!! I'm open to trying alllll suggestions!! I hate the stress that it causes - I've worn myself out before I've even got the bike on or off. lol
  13. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Eric - sharp bike you've got there!! ;-) Hey!! Where did you find the luggage racks for the bike?? and the extra fuel container? And the tank bag? This is the bike I'm trying out for riding the TAT next year and haven't had a chance to do any research for those kinds of things yet. Don't you just love the grey version? I think it looks great! Happy riding to you!!
  14. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good on all you newbies for jumping in and joining on the fun and remember this: gravity always wins!

Two things I learned early on when I first started DS riding:
    1) sometimes you think "oh I better go slow to get through this part or section" and thats exactly the wrong thing to do! A bike going slow is a bike that wants to fall over easily! Give it some gas, look ahead and just GO.
    2) look AHEAD and pick your line, steer your bike that way and go. If you are looking down at where you are instead of where you are going you are already in trouble.
    ShakDan and RayT like this.
  15. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    @RayT I don't want to pollute your fine thread with a derail but I'll do my best to answer your questions. Here's a copy and paste from another thread I have going in of all places Battle Scooters. :photog

Okay, I kicked the HD off the lift and up went the CRF. I'll try to answer folks questions that popped up about this bike and how I'm rigging it.
    [​IMG]

All my parts came in that I ordered from Erin & Scott at SRCmoto.com , all the parts were very well packaged and made of quality materials.
    [​IMG]

I'm not going to do a step by step tutorial here but here's the finished product. Top rack anchors to the 4 bolts that OEM use for tie downs off the rear of the bike. The pannier sides anchor to the top rack and then lastly there's a cross support on the rear that anchors to the pannier sides, combined it's rock solid. I added the tool tube and it anchors to the transition of the rack to the pannier. The tool tube is nothing but a plastic tube with a giant O-ring gasket to make it waterproof. The tool tube will house 2 inner tubes, patch kit, and hopefully tools. Slick!
    [​IMG]

Gas can tucks in nicely on the left side.
    [​IMG]

As I stated earlier, full access to the tool box on the bike.
    [​IMG]

Some of you have may have seen me use the Kriega bags on my trips. I love them as they adapt to every bike I have and I don't need a set of luggage for each bike as I flip them in and out of my garage. They're literally bomb proof regarding being waterproof. I have ridden through monsoons with them and not a drop! The inside is 'white' so I can see what in in the bag in low light conditions, the liner is washable and is Velcro'd in and is also replaceable. I've been using mine for roughly 10 years and they're functioning perfectly.
    [​IMG]

This is for demonstration purposes so I didn't tuck all the straps but you get the idea on how nicely they mate up to just about any rack. Stack them, put them on the side of the bags, use your imagination to get a tailored fit in an 'off the rack' world we live in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And lastly, the must have ADV sticker!
    [​IMG]

This rig with a tank bag will be all I ever need as I really don't carry much. Now regarding tip overs and damage to the 'rally's' Tupperware, This rack sticks out far enough to prevent most get offs and incurring damage. Put on some decent hand guards and the rack you should be good to go. I take pride in thinking 10 steps ahead when I'm building something and yes the plastic damage was most definitely on my radar and this is my solution.

The Rally comes with a higher-capacity fuel tank. At 2.7 gallons, it holds 0.6 gallons more fuel than the L. Adding the .8 gallon auxiliary fuel tank will give me 3.5 gallons which I think is enough for a WeeADV 250.

Shades of things to come. I have this dash panel mocked up and I'm working getting it installed soon.
    [​IMG]
    I'm thinking about using the USB receptacle that has Quick Charge 3.0 and a 12v display in LED. :hmmmmm Here.
    [​IMG]

Dash plate installed and works a treat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up is TRex crash bars and then I'm done. I'll mount some cheap LED lights to the crash bar and wire it to the dash plate switch I installed.
    [​IMG]

I hope this info helps you and if you do order from SRCmoto.com be sure to use the coupon ADVrider for a 10% discount. Erin and Scott were a real pleasure to deal with. Apologies for the long winded reply.

Only 12 more Mondays till spring! Woohoo!
    DragonJoe, RayT and black 8 like this.
  16. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Whoops forgot the tank bag, it's a Wolfman Blackhawk Tank Bag here. I bought it Revzilla when it was on closeout. I'm not sure why Revzilla dropped them? It's too expensive for what you get imo and!! you have to buy the rain cover separately which is more than annoying when you;re charging all the money to begin with.

If you ride out to VA, be sure to look me up and you'll have a nice place to stay while your ride the area.

Eric
    [​IMG]
    RedDogAlberta, RayT and black 8 like this.
  17. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh my gosh, aren't those the truest things ever said!! And, the two hardest things to do!! Took a Cornerspin class in NC where you rode little 150s with slicks on and got more comfortable with the fact that pouring on the gas IS probably the right thing to do in more circumstances - so counterintuitive!! And, I fight myself to look out as far as I can instead of down at my wheel. I wonder if it ever becomes completely habitual.
  18. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Eric - thank you for sharing!! I thought the tool holder was a gas canister, but then see where you tucked in an extra gas can - brilliant!! Quick question - do the crash bars protect up to that point in the plastic that sticks out towards the front - I've already punched a hole in that on one side - so bummed - it was on the day for this post that I did it. My poor girl doesn't even have the first 300 miles on her yet for the breakin period and she's been through the wringer. I like that you pride yourself on planning upteen steps out in front - wish I had with this - I keep telling myself that she's got 'er battlescars already is all. Thanks so much for the invite!! Will definately keep you in mind for the ride! I hear the eastern part of the TAT is a lot more on road that when you get into and past Tennessee. Riding dirt is the world's more exquisite addiction!!
    The Virginian likes this.
  19. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    I'll post up when I get it installed. Like you, I have never really done any offroad so I'm prepping it for the inevitable dirt naps that are going to take place.
    RayT likes this.
  20. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd appreciate that!! This particular ride was sooo rocky, and sooo beyond what I've done before, I knew the bike was going to come back looking a bit worse for wear. I'm so excited about riding the TAT - this summer is all about bringing my skill level up for the ride. I love going down to Durhamtown in Georgia to ride b/c I can pick out the trails and terrain to get the practice I need for different challenges.... rocks, roots, steep hills, single track, what I fondly refer to as "half-track." You have an aspirational ride in mind?
    The Virginian likes this.