1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Noob in over her head

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by RayT, Dec 16, 2019.

1. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm on a massive email list for MOAB coming up in April. Work is starting to get in the way of that long and far away of a trip. So... if that slides off the end of the table, George Washington Nat'l forest has some nice offroad trails and then I have many places in WV I'm going to hit up. I hope to start with fast paced fire roads and go from there. Late summer/fall I'm thinking of shipping/trailer or ride it west to hit up NV, NM and AZ. I'm working on it....
    RayT likes this.
  2. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's a group of us who get out and ride all over VA...dirt, dualsport, adv type riding. If you'd like to meet up and go with us, let me know.

RayT and The Virginian like this.
  3. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Will do, I'm just concerned that a n00b like me might hold the group back. Is there a place you folks post your adventures here?

Eric
    RayT and phreakingeek like this.
  4. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You dont have to worry about your skills or speed with us. We normally start emailing the group on Wed with ride options for the weekend. I include descriptions of terrain and whether or not it's a small/med/big bike route and people opt in or out depending on what's going on. Sometimes it's just me and someone new...so we can take our time and I can coach as much or as little as people want.

Normally our after ride stuff is just a quick post on facebook or email since it's mostly just an afternoon ride recap with a few pics. If you pm me an email address, I'll add you to the group and send you a quick email from last week. You can decide if you want to join our shenanigans then. :lol3

NxtGoRnd and RayT like this.
  5. ShakDan

ShakDan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes! When I get some miles under my belt let's def get together!!
    RayT likes this.
  6. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    Great read. Great determination. Hey , we were ALL over our heads at one time , so don't let that stop you from enjoying the off road world. Some people see challenges and find a way to overcome , others see obstacles and give up. I'm cut from the challenge clothe , as so many other here are. Enjoy , have fun , wear appropriate safety gear , and look at dings and scratches to the bike as character. Trust me , it helps. :-)
    RayT likes this.
  7. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    A "Rekluse" brand clutch is designed almost similar to a VW "Automatic Stickshift."
    What it allows the rider to do is modulate the clutch while all your fingers are wrapped around your grips. Not touching the clutch lever at all. This allows much more manipulation of the clutch with a higher level of control. The clutch is now controlled via throttle and brake. A rider can do things much easier with a Rekluse vs. an OEM clutch.
    RayT likes this.
  8. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

i'm always here to help

84000144_2781238431931369_8708050642226118656_n.jpg
  9. KennyBooBear

KennyBooBear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One noob to another - I started riding motorcycles in June this year and got an ADV bike in July. The learning curve is terrifying at first as it's just not a natural place to be up on two wheels. You fight your muscles and body constantly as your brain is trying to react to such a non-standard thing, and instinctively you react in ways that would normally apply to having feet on the ground - but end up hampering your efforts on a bike.

Once you get past it though and get that confidence you need - man oh man do you excel quickly. I'm riding a Himalayan and I'm amazed at how much I've progressed through the Summer. Loved reading your thread as it reminds me I'm not the only one haha

Best advice I can give is keep your head up, look far ahead and always work on your body positioning/posture. As I'm on trails of baby heads, slimy mud and everything between, I'm always reminding myself internally of the fundamentals. "Center yourself over the tank, keep your hands loose but balanced on the bars as if I'm floating over them rather than gripping them, don't be afraid to dab to recenter yourself, elbows out and knees bent" etc. and it pays off dividends. If I was in your area I'd happily join in on a ride - looks like you've got some beautiful and fun terrain out there.

Cheers.
    RayT likes this.
  10. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So much dirt, so little time, right?!?! It's a blast, addictive. I've been out snowboarding in Tahoe, and only a week and half away from heading from Ohio back down to TN - I can't wait to get out!! Sounds like you've got a lot of great places queued up!
  11. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shak - sounds great, and really, I'm game for any kind of riding and just want to get miles in, so don't think you have to wait to get to some level of good to say, let's go!! :-) Sorry it took me so long to get back, just getting back on the right side of the Mississippi after a couple of months out west.
  12. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rhino - thanks so much for the encouragement!! Yeah, for some reason I'm that freak of nature that just loves to stand in a hot-hot shower after a particularly brutal day thinking about what a high it is to be out there pushing yourself, getting a little beat up while ya go!! Just got back from playing in the snow out west and can't wait to get back out on the trails again!!
    Black Rhino likes this.
  13. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kenny - I was just, just out there!! Was out snowboarding at Heavenly all of Jan!! So close! You'll just have to come visit over in our neck of the woods, it's incredible, so beautiful!! Tahoe is my second home of the heart! Thank you so much for all of your encouragement. I'm really enjoying the learning curve - and I love how it takes all of my concentration. I do the same thing. There's an endless mantra going through my head of things to try to remember. Where do you ride at out there. My friend lives down in the Carson Valley, has a KLR and has been playing up in the Pinenuts on the east side of the Washoe Valley.
    KennyBooBear likes this.
  14. KennyBooBear

KennyBooBear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just about in my backyard!

I'd definitely like to get out that way, and now have more of a touring machine in addition to the Himalayan. We're moving South to the San Diego area in a week but I'll be frequenting this area in the Summer so if you ever make it out to ride and want a group, definitely count me in. I know some fantastic spots on the CA/NV border all along the Great Basin. It's truly an incredible place to be for any sort of recreation!

If I make it out that way at some point, I'll definitely look you up!

Cheers and safe riding!
  15. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Eric - I was wondering if you were doing a bash plate. They're hard to find for the Rally. Finally tracked down this one... https://bboffroad.com.au/bash-plate-honda-crf250-rally-2017.html Do you think there's any chance of the crash bars interfering with the bash plate or vice versa?
  16. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    My feelings are even if the crash bars do interfere just cut the bash plate to fit around the crash bars. It won't be unsightly underneath your bike. Your choice there is a good one! Now armor up and have another go at it! :-)
    RayT likes this.
  17. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Eric - gonna get it and crash bars ordered up!! Ahhh, we haven't even slid into spring in the south yet - looking forward to lotsa' seasons. Queued up to go play weekend after next!!
    The Virginian likes this.
  18. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Eric - lookie loo at what I did this afternoon!! Got my crash bars installed!! Did it myself - it took a while, but I'm so tickled. I'm going to leave the bash plate alone for now - I think I'll order up one to have on hand - I'm already down to 3 out of the 4 bolts on, so I know it's gonna go at some point, so I want to have the new one on hand when it does. I'm go riding on Wednesday - can't wait!! Thanks for all the help and encouragement!!

IMG_0168 use.JPG IMG_0181 use.JPG

Attached Files:

19. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Right on! :ricky
    RayT likes this.
  20. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Soooo!!!? How did the ride go?
    RayT likes this.