Noob needs help with zumo396.. MABDR tracks and other maps.

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Brickflyer, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Brickflyer

Brickflyer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My riding buddy and I gearing up for the MABDR. read most of the ride reports. We bought Butler maps and GPSkevin's SD card to use for the trip.
    Kev's map loaded up fine in my new Zumo 396. I also have installed the actual MABDR map from BDR and want to add Cannonshot's GPX too. Just to have for use along the way if needed.
    So my question is this: how do i manage all these ?
    Kev's stuff shows up as a map that i can toggle on and off. The MABDR map is not on the maps page, so i can't figure how to turn them off. I see em in the tracks location. If i scroll the actual GPS screen over to Virginia, the MABDR does show up as tracks which seem to be on the native Garmin map. It looks like these GPX files and Kev's files all overlap on the map.

Is there a way to turn these MABDR/ Cannonshot GPX tracks on and off as needed?

I have researched and read all the info for weeks..........
    I'm trying to educate myself in the art of .gpx. I used a Nuvi for years mostly for near navigation and "where the hell are we"?? Up until now , still wrote route on paper and put in window on tank bag.
    Any advice really appreciated.
  2. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Curious as to the answer to this...standing by....
  3. Brickflyer

Oddometer:
    Got some help from Baggi'tard in Tellico Plains, TN ! Thx Kyle !!

"yes, you should be able to do that no problem, in fact none of them should show on the map until you select them to do so. I'm assuming your 390 has the same firmware as my 350 (it's always kept up to date as far as I know). Go to Tracks, should have two tabs, one active, one saved? Choose saved, scroll down until you find the track you want, then there will be menu options like show on map (check that), choose the color, etc. DO NOT choose "Go", it will turn your track into a route and may or may not follow it accurately, just choose "show on map." then it's up to you to follow it, like a highlighter on a paper map."

will work on this today.....learning curve steep. Appreciate any and all tips on this gpx thing !
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    sounds like you're confusing gpx tracks with map overlays.

tracks= gpx files (can be edited)

map overlays = images of tracks (can't be edited)

maps = the background of roads, trails, etc (normally this is supplied by open street maps/similar)
  5. Brickflyer

Oddometer:
    sorry, i was using overlay as a generic term to describe how the gpx tracks were shown on the map. i was assuming when you viewed tracks , it was like someone drew them on a piece of glass, and laid it on the existing Garmin NA map.
    confusion is an understatement at this point. :confused
    working on it........
    i appreciate the help.
    ohgood likes this.
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

you've got the right idea. i edited my post to make it a little clearer.

the main thing is to use tracks from whoever, but still have the ability to plot your own, in case a bridge is out or whatever.
    Brickflyer likes this.
  7. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    So.... put me in the "also confused" box...

Is what Kevin sends on the SD Card an actual MAP, or is it a "MAP Overlay" ?
  8. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
  10. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ohhhkaaay.... I went here:

https://ridebdr.com/mabdr/

I downloaded the GPX files for the MABDR for free(yes I will donate because this is awesome). Then I moved the files to both the internal memory on my Zumo and the 32Gb SD card memory. One did not work but the other did...not sure which one. The tracks all showed up...I think there are 7, plus extra alternative routes. I went into trip planning in the Zumo and changed the color of each track, then converted them to a trip. I had to do each leg individually, but they all loaded.

I tried this in Basecamp. but as usual Basecamp took a steaming shit on my efforts....(ihatebasecampihatebasecampihate......)

Rolling in the AM for the southern start point....I'll let y'all know if it actually worked..............
    ohgood and gary_a_gooner like this.
  11. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I did something wrong. The route keeps sending me off the gravel and onto paved parallel roads. I missed a good chunk on day one before I realized what was going on. The next day I spent a lot of time reading the Butler map then fighting with me Zumo to get off pavement.
    Since I want to ride and the pavement has been good I'm gonna punt and lower the frustration situation and do my own thing. In Pa headed for Maine now.
  12. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With kindness and respect I say to you- lose the Garmin, use your phone. Garmins are dead dinosaurs, ancient technology. Phones are better in every way.
  13. Brickflyer

Oddometer:
    I “think “ when you changed those tracks to a trip in base camp or on the actual garmin itself, the garmin then is free to put you back where it wants. Is it giving you turn by turn? I don’t think those tracks were made to be converted to trip or route.
    See if you can still pull up just the tracks in ur garmin and follow those. Like following a highlighter on on a map.
    Or do ur own thing sounds awesome too.
    Ride safe.
  14. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is giving me turn by turn. If I go on any road leading towards the finish point, it highlights it like it is the route.

The phone tech may be better, but up to now I have been happy with my 590. Not sure how you guys use a phone and not kill the USB port with vibration or water. Went thru 3 nuvi's before getting the 590...it's way more rugged.
  15. Brickflyer

Oddometer:
    it is my elementary understanding that when tracks are changed to routes or trips, that the garmin is then concerned only with getting you to your destination. It will reroute you as it sees fit.
    A turn by turn map of the MABDR would be awesome. But, i think anytime you went off the route, it would then try to reroute you.
    This is one of the things that is kinda shitty about garmin. except for basecamp........ which is really shitty.........
  16. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    That conversion is what allowed the zumo to calculate routes different than the tracks. If you simply changed the track color and followed the track, you would have stayed on the MABDR. You would have to keep a close eye on the GPS to stay on the track, as there would be no turn-by-turn instructions, but tracks are never recalculated.

The Trip Planner app is only for use with routes, not tracks.
  17. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, you guys are right. I can still see the correct tracks when not punching in a destination. I broke off the MABDR anyway to do some research, but i will return to it when I have someone to ride with. I did have a close call too, so having someone along might be a wise thing to do as some of those tracks are pretty remote.