noob quesiton..

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Y D B R F D- treymil, Jun 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Y D B R F D- treymil

Y D B R F D- treymil n00b

Oddometer:
    iv'e heard people say that a $500 helmet is for a $500 head but is there any validity to that? i'm highly concerned with having the safest possible helmet if i go down and i don't mind spending a large sum of cash for that assurance, however i'm utterly clueless when it comes to which helmets work and how, i have heard snell is a higher standard of safety than DOT but there's so many helmets out there i'm simply lost as to how i should figure out what's for me... i know i want a full face helmet and i'm a Large.
  2. desertdaves

desertdaves DesertDave

Oddometer:
    I don't know if anyone can be unbiased and answer your question. Everyone is going to have a favorite helmet, and tell you why. You really need to find a shop that carries a wide variety of helmets, and start trying them on. You can tell the difference in quality. And one of the biggest problems people have with helmets is the wrong shape or size. When you go down, the helmet needs to fit perfectly to protect you correctly. Traditionally, the higher the price tag, the better the helmet. But there are a couple of companies that rebrand a helmet and mark it up.
    Good luck!!
    phreakingeek, CO303 and lnewqban like this.
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a good read: https://www.webbikeworld.com/dot-vs-ece-helmet-safety-standards/

Dave is right. It's about what fits best. MOST of what Arai, Shoei and Schuberth offers is premium features, comfort, lower noise and just a better experience. Price does not equal safety. I track my car with a $150 SNELL 2015 helmet and I ride with a DOT only (not ECE or SNELL) $600 Shoei GT-Air. There are safer helmets out there but it's really comfortable and insanely quiet. The price is the lightness, sun visor, pillock function, padding and air-flow.

I'd say find which manufacturers fit your head more, what feels good then go and check out various certifications and buy what is in your price range that is the most comfortable or safest. The helmet only has to work once to save your life but you're going to ride in it for thousands of miles so the safest but least comfortable helmet is not one you're going to want to live with. Find that happy medium.
  4. Y D B R F D- treymil

Y D B R F D- treymil n00b

Oddometer:
    alright, that's fairly challenging as theres two places in my area(unless i drive three hours to a different state) and they mainly sell cl-17 helmets and a bunch of 3/4 and half helmets, how would i know it fits properly, snug but not painful?
  5. little foot

little foot seriously not serious

Oddometer:
    Don't buy an Arai with fancy graphics, all the women will be wanting your attention. It's not safe to ride like that.
  6. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the same problem. Freedom Cycle is 90 minutes south of me. they have a huge selection of helmets and I went there for an hour and tried on everything. Then Ir realized Shoei fits me really well. Arai doesn't. HJC was a neutral fit then it just came to shaking my head around to gauge weight, playing with the visor components and air openings and finding out sort of what the price gets you. I ended up ordering my helmet online but I have bought plenty from them so I wasn't a total mooch.

----

The helmet should be snug, it should (new out of the box) really squeeze your checks but not be uncomfortable. when you shake your head left to right the helmet shouldn't move around which would indicate its too big. The pads eventually compress to your head so after a month, everything loosens up. if the helmet hurts, it's way too small.
    lnewqban likes this.
  7. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    Arai used to make a helmet for virtually every head shape. No longer true, but I think they still have a pretty broad range--even if it no longer includes me.

Bell had a custom fit program, though I read recently that it's been discontinued. My current main helmet is one of those. Previous helmet, which still gets occasional use is the last Arai I know of that fit me.

Manufacturers may make helmets with different internal shapes. Shoei did and probably still does. But I expect Arai still covers a wider range of head shapes. With Arai after (if) you find the model with the right internal shape, you still might need to select different pad thickness.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  8. Zentriumph

Zentriumph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De oppresso liber Supporter

Oddometer:
    First is style, full face is better than open face. Then fit, better fit = safer. Next, the quantity of EPS density. Most helmets only have two levels. Better helmets have more. The more levels of density the less abruptly your head stops within the shell (safer).
  10. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can ignore:

-claims of being more silent; it's may vary by so little that you won't be able to tell, assuming you wear ear plugs.

-claims of being lighter: most fullface are light enough, and vary by perhaps 20%. Your neck will ache anyway from wind and buffetting.

-claim of being more protective: either they are certified with the certification you are looking for, or they aren't. Me, I'm not looking for impact protection but wind/water/cold/heat protection, and not having cops after me, so DOT is fine or me. I'd rather die than finishing my life tetraplegic.

Fabrication quality is important to me. For instance Scorpio is crappily assembled and expensive, while HJC is well done and cheap and washable.

Look carefully where your ears fall into, you don't want pressure there.

You may also want to pay attention to the possibility for a headset clip: some helmet don't allow a clip to be inserted and expect you to use sticky tape to hold it.

Finally, seriously consider these with inner smoked visors; this is such a great invention. You'll never go back.
    Night_Wolf and lnewqban like this.
  11. lnewqban

lnewqban Ninjetter

Oddometer:
    About the shape of the head:
    https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmet-reviews-by-internal-shape/

Good comfort and good field of vision help keeping you from getting into a fall or accident that will test the shock absorbing capability of the helmet (which is limited to certain speed of impact).
  12. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I went from a no-frills helmet to one that was advertised as being quiet. I wear earplugs. The difference was AMAZEBALLS. I value quiet very highly.

I've also had high end lightweight helmet, and much preferred how the felt to wear, but I can't say if made a major difference in my comfort at the end of a long day.
  13. CO303

CO303 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My opinion, most of the guys are right. Fit is everything. Build quality is more important than price.
  14. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    If you are look at a SNELL rated helmet, there is no difference in protection from a $200 Snell helmet to a $1000 Snell helmet. You are paying for lighter weight, better venting & "nicer" graphics. I wear flip ups & or a 1/2 lid, so no Snell rating for me, Comfort is the main factor at that point & I'll agree the internal Sun visor is a very nice feature; even have it on my 1/2 lid :deal
    3shot likes this.
  15. 3shot

3shot Long timer

Oddometer:
    more expensive are just lighter, materials are different, padding is better and maybe quieter. For protection look for DOT / SNELL rating (and really DOT is probably all you need if riding normal). They are tested to those standards and wont matter if 200$ or 500$

Its also important to get a good fit. A shitty fitting helmet sucks. For me its Shoei, there been times where I forget its even on and try to scratch my head.

but I would expect to pay around 3-400 dollars for a good one. I have a cheap offroad helmet for like 150, compared to my shoei its night and day.... but like I said, its dot rated so in a crash they perform the same.

What I would do is find a place and try on a bunch of different ones for fit... All the brands fit different
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  16. WIDGIN

WIDGIN When In Doubt, Gas It Now

Oddometer:
    Snell actually tests helmets for compliance, DOT only relies on self testing by the helmet manufacturer. Snell is also much more rigorous which is why they don't certify half helmets or modular helmets.

Since I owe the past 47 years to wearing a 3/4 helmet during an off road head-on collision, I now usually wear a Shoei or Arai Snell rated helmet.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  17. WindBlast

WindBlast Jesus and Tequila

Oddometer:
  18. LateToTheGame

LateToTheGame Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree, fit is the most important - that and a reputable manufacturer.

When I decided to start riding I went with a friend to a local gear shop. My friend, a long-time rider, told me that once I'd settled on a style I couldn't go wrong with Bell, Shoei, or Arai for quality, so find one that fit my head well. Don't remember the two Shoeis or the Bells that I tried, but when I slipped on the Arai Signet Q I knew I was there; the fit was comfortable, not squeezing anywhere, but holding my head firmly. The fit has loosened up a bit in the 3 years since, but it's still that "not uncomfortable but snug" feeling every time I pull it on.