1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Noob question. F8GS Battery replacement. Loose the computer data or fry the circuit?

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Jotaga, May 3, 2013.

1. Jotaga

Jotaga Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tried to find the answer but didn't got it.

I am going to change the battery on my F800GS. I did not want to loose the data/date on the computer and get the service warnings...

Thought about connecting the new battery parallel to the old one before disconnecting the old, so I would keep the energy flowing.

Doing this I will double the amp capacity of the system. Is this an issue? Will it damage the eletronics?

Also, a friend (electric engineer) told me that if the old battery is not with 12v, the difference in tension wold generate a (theoretical?) short circuit when I connect the batteries in parallel... :huh

What do you think?? I choose service warnings instead of damage, but really did not want to loose the clock date on the bike...

Are there any alternatives if my idea sucked?:ear:ear
  2. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think your friend is trying to tell you that if you use a 6 volt or a 24 volt battery, you might have a problem.

Otherwise -- No Problimo !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don
    Another Electrical EnginEar
  3. Jotaga

Jotaga Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Don! Feeling more confident now... Still a little bit scared, but going toward my own interpretation on the subject... Going to sleep now... Lets see if some new thoughts appear overnight...:snore:snore:snore

Btw... What does this smile :norton means??