Noob Skills (dirt) Training Day – 04MAR2018

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by KaptSlo, Feb 24, 2018.

1. KaptSlo

KaptSlo In Idaho, never admit you moved from California. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Calling all Noobs (especially those registered for the 2018 Death Valley NooBs Rally)!

Does riding your pristine KTM990 into a gravel parking lot give you nightmares? Did you just buy a brand new Africa Twin which you only ride to Mc Café for a breakfast burrito? Has your BMW GS never been farther offroad than the little bit of sand in the Starbucks parking lot? Or do you own a smaller Dual Sport bike with NO scratches on it (other than that time in the garage when you scraped it with the lawn mower)?

Fear not. Help is only days away!

On Sunday, March 4, 2018 from 0900 to 1500 just north of Sunride Motocross Park on the west side of US 395, the DVNR crew is sponsoring a NooB Skills training day.

Intersection of Coronado Ave and Verbena Rd, Adelanto CA 92301

N34 36.735 W117 25.629

This training will be appropriate for all sizes of bike and focused on really nooby type NooBs. We will be showing you basic off-road techniques aimed at the new-to-offroad rider. PLEASE NOTE: If you just got your first bike for Christmas; and don’t know how to use the clutch, shift lever, or brake – attend a California Motorcyclist Safety Program class first. You really need to master the basics before you attempt to ride that new Triumph Scrambler offroad.

Topics presented at this training may include:
    • Standing while riding (body position)
    • Making slow speed turns (counterweighting)
    • Front brake control (ploughing)
    • Maximum braking (oh shit!)
    • Whoops (they’re not so bad…)
    • Riding in sand (f-ing sand)
    • Trail etiquette/ethics (let's play nice)

This is NOT a Jimmy Lewis level class. If you can ride the water crossing at Afton Canyon, the sand wash south of the Husky Memorial, or finish most of the easy ways on any organized DualSport ride in SoCal; you’re already beyond the scope of this training.

However, if you possess mad offroad skills (or even slightly peeved offroad skills) we could sure use your help training the new folks!

Please post up if you have any questions or you’re interested in attending; and let us know what you’re planning on riding so we can get folks grouped by bike size…

See you on the 4th!
    Migolito and Skootz Kabootz like this.
  2. KaptSlo

Oddometer:
    Stuff you need to know:

About YOU:
    We're riding in the dirt. Even though speeds will be low, there's a good chance you're gonna fall. Appropriate gear is essential!

1. BOOTS: Actual offroad boots are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for this event, and the NooBs Rally. They provide crush and twist protection not available in other forms of footwear.
      1. According to the book A Treatise on Surgery by American Authors: For Students and Practitioners of Surgery and Medicine, Volume 1 it takes less than 200lbs applied to the long side of a tibia or fibula, over a 4 sq. inch area, to break either bone. I'll bet your bike weighs more than that.
      2. A pair of O'Neal Elements are on sale everywhere for a buck and a quarter - not a high end boot, but MUCH better than street boots, hiking boots or work boots. AND, they're much cheaper than an ER visit!
    2. HELMET: Please wear a 3/4 or full face helmet. Your 1/2 helmet needs to stay on your Harley/Indian/Metric Cruiser.
      1. If you're wearing a modular helmet, I'm going ask that you keep the chin bar down. I know of two recent instances where street riders were wearing modular helmets with the chin bar up; they went down and snapped their necks when the chin bar caught on the tarmac. Dirt is even more "grabby" on non-smooth surfaces than asphalt.
      2. If you're going to wear a street helmet, please consider wearing sunglasses/goggles as eye protection. Generally speaking, a visor/face shield doesn't work real well offroad.
    3. PROTECTIVE GEAR: You don't need to go drop BIG BUCKS on the latest KLIM gear, but you do need to be protected.
      1. Sturdy trousers, MX style gloves and a chest protector or armored jacket are a must. Elbow and knee protection are something to seriously consider.
      2. Be sure to dress for conditions - check the weather report before you leave home. The DVNR crew will be there regardless of the weather, so don't wimp out on us!
    4. WATER: You'll be riding a LOT. You need to stay hydrated.
      1. Do yourself a favor and get a hydration pack if you don't already own one. That way you can drink on the fly.
      2. Stopping, getting off the bike, opening up bags, backpacks, etc and taking off your helmet to drink out of a bottle of water slows down everyone's progress.
    About your BIKE:
    You're going to be dropping the bike. Get over it.

1. TIRES: Knobby tires are recommended.

Kenda Big Blocks are fairly cheap and work well, even if they don't last too long on pavement.

Heidenau K60's are pricey, but do well on the pavement and in the dirt (except for mud; they suck in mud).

You can get by on 50/50 tires like the Shinko 705, but it's gonna be tough.

Think about it this way: would you wear deck shoes to play half-court one-on-one against Lebron James?​

2. BAGS: Leave the luggage at home!

Those aluminum cases are great on the street, but dramatically increase the chances of a lower leg injury during a fall (and you're probably gonna fall).

Soft bags are only slightly less hazardous.

I got my leg pinned under a Wolfman pannier bag a couple years ago when riding the AZBDR. Had to wait for about 5 minutes (felt like an hour) before my buddies realized I was no longer sweeping the ride. No damage done (except to my pride) but I was trapped until they came back and lifted the bike off me.​

3. SPARES: Adelanto isn't outer Mongolia, but it is a bit remote. Please have the following items attached securely to you or your bike:

TIRE STUFF
    An inner tube that fits your front wheel (will work in rear in a pinch)
    Tire plugs (for you tubeless types)
    Tire irons and the appropriate wrenches to remove either wheel
    Some way to inflate your tube/tire
    A tire pressure gauge

TOOLS
    6/8/10/12/14/17mm wrenches
    needle nose vice grips
    screwdrivers - Philips & flat
    allen/torx wrenches (depending on your bike)
    knife (leatherman type tool works great)

MISC
    Zip ties
    5-50 cord
    JB Weld (this stuff is the bomb)
    tow strap
    some way to light a fire
    a flashlight
    a whistle​
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  3. KaptSlo

Oddometer:
    A few photos from last year's Training Day...
    RIMG0282.JPG

RIMG0278.JPG

RIMG0281.JPG

And did I mention, LUNCH IS ON JOEL!!!
    Smaller.JPG
    Migolito likes this.
  4. KaptSlo

Oddometer:
    IN List as of: 24FEB18@1100

1. NSFW - Joel
    2. KaptSlo - Bill
    3. Todd157 - Todd & Grace
    4. Rider914 - Matt
    5. HBSurfDad - Troy
    6. Little Bike - Sue
    7. SpongeRob - Rob
    8. Headstaller - Chu
    NSFW likes this.
  5. HBSURFDAD

HBSURFDAD Oops, Sorry Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a noob and frequent faller, after the helmet and boots which are a must, my most “relied upon” equipment are my knee and elbow pads. Most of my falls are low speed dumps in deep sand or bouncing off cobbles. So far only one good scrape on one elbow and a bruised ego or 2.

To protect yourself pretty well is very easy and rather inexpensive. You can get a full pressure type jacket (Bilt charger) for $60. For the knee pads, I have tried the $100 knee brace type down to the $15 shin knee pad style, I like the $15-$20 knee guards the best. I started with the protective adventure jacket and that works well, but at the non-freeway speeds you can really overheat. I now wear my protection and then put my pad-removed jacket on if it is cold or I am riding long road stretches.

Just my $0.02. See you next week.
    breakdirt916 and KaptSlo like this.
  6. Skootz Kabootz

Skootz Kabootz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had so little free time to ride for so long now, I am really going to try and make this! It was such a great day last year.

To any noobs who are on the fence about attending, just go. I can't say enough good things about it. It's a perfect chance to get some valuable coaching, practice what you learn, and enjoy a fun day with like minded riders. Don't worry about your skill level (or lack thereof). There's no pressure or judgment, just constructive criticism, helpful interaction, and encouragement. All good. You'll be glad you went.

Hope to see you all there!

Cheers.
    Migolito, NSFW and Chaostrophy like this.
  7. breakdirt916

breakdirt916 CA PLATED 94 YZ250 2-STROKE

Oddometer:
    I have been crashing that $60 bilt charger pressure jacket for 4-5 years now haha...zipper goes out eventually

Best knee guards: Leatt Dual Axis

Unfortunately I am working said day...
    Davethestick likes this.
  8. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    In. Lunch on Joel sold me!
    NSFW likes this.
  9. socially stunted

socially stunted Mind astray

Oddometer:
    Was planning on riding that day anyway. It'll be my first DS ride since my second hand surgery. Why does this sound familiar? Anyway, I can stop by and hang out/catch up with some of you FFs.
    HBSURFDAD and NSFW like this.
  10. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

damn....i knew someone will fall for it...:lol3

mike, i saw a honda cb500x on your post........congrats and brung it.

that will take you all the way to the arctic circle and tip of baja.
    Migolito likes this.
  11. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    What HBSurfdad said and especially off road boots. I’ve seen two people break feet due to wearing Adventure style boots off road.
    socially stunted likes this.
  12. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the guy's name in the first picture was Ken... anyone ever seen/heard from him since? He was a pretty good rider.
  13. SpongeRob

SpongeRob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He's in my area. I havn't seen him since last year.
  14. KaptSlo

Oddometer:
    If we don't get some noobs on the IN list, we can make this a ride for the Noobs Crew instead...

Rain yesterday and tomorrow should make for good conditions come Sunday.
  15. phixmup

phixmup ride'n 2 live Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since Joel is buying lunch I'm in!
  16. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear no real noobs are interested. For now, the fake noobs will have all the fun.

Yes....for you anytime Shawn....:feelgood
  17. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    any deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep sand and whoops ???????? :D
  18. KaptSlo

Oddometer:
    It's the Dez, what do you think????? No, really, nothing too hairball.

I'm thinking we could make a run across Stoddard Valley into Slash-X for lunch, then back via Hinkley. We can stop at the Outlet Center in Lenwood for gas.
  19. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Uhhumm...is it big bike friendly?
  20. KaptSlo

Oddometer:
    If you take pavement ... :D

I've done it on the GS, but it wasn't fun.