1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Noob Skills (dirt) Training Day – 10JAN16

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by KaptSlo, Dec 27, 2015.

?

Location, Location, Location?

Poll closed Jan 4, 2016.
  1. Keep it at Rowher

52.2%
  2. Move it to behind the Summit Inn at the top of the Cajon Pass

39.1%
  3. Some other location - please post in thread

8.7%
  1. KaptSlo

KaptSlo In Idaho, never admit you moved from California. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Calling all Noobs (especially those registered for the 2016 Death Valley NooBs Rally)!

Does riding your pristine KTM990 into a gravel parking lot give you nightmares? Did you just buy a brand new Africa Twin which you only ride to Mc Café for a breakfast burrito? Has your BMW GS never been farther offroad than the little bit of sand in the Starbucks parking lot? Or do you own a smaller DualSport bike with NO scratches on it (other than that time in the garage when you scraped it with the lawn mower)?

Fear not. Help is only a few weeks away!

On January 10, 2016 from 0900 to 1500 at staging area 3 of the Rowher Flats OHV area the NVNR crew is sponsoring a NooB Skills training day.

This training will be appropriate for all sizes of bike and focused on really nooby type NooBs. We will be showing you basic off-road techniques aimed at the new-to-offroad rider. PLEASE NOTE: If you just got your first bike for Christmas; and don’t know how to use the clutch, shift lever, or brake – attend a California Motorcyclist Safety Program class first. You really need to master the basics before you attempt to ride that new Triumph Scrambler offroad.

Topics presented at this training may include:
    • Standing while riding (body position)
    • Making slow speed turns (counterweighting)
    • Front brake control (ploughing)
    • Maximum braking (oh shit!)
    • Crossing obstacles (blip)
    • Riding in sand (f-ing sand)
    • Ascending and descending hills (traction control)
    • Trail etiquette/ethics (let's play nice)
    This is NOT a Jimmy Lewis level class. If you can ride the water crossing at Afton Canyon, the sand wash south of the Husky Memorial, or finish most of the easy ways on any organized DualSport ride in SoCal; you’re already beyond the scope of this training.

However, if you possess mad offroad skills (or even slightly peeved offroad skills) we could sure use your help training the new folks!

Please post up if you have any questions or you’re interested in attending; and let us know what you’re planning on riding so we can get folks grouped by bike size…

See you on the 10th!
    Sfcootz and lalispeed like this.
  2. KaptSlo

Oddometer:
    Stuff you need to know:

If you're trucking/trailering in, you MUST get a USFS Adventure Pass before you come (they ARE NOT sold at Rowher) and have it on your rear view mirror while we are out riding. USFS staff WILL be checking and WILL write you a $55.00 ticket. Consider yourselves warned!

About YOU:
    We're riding in the dirt. Even though speeds will be low, there's a good chance you're gonna fall. Appropriate gear is essential!
    1. BOOTS: Actual offroad boots are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for this event, and the NooBs Rally. They provide crush and twist protection not available in other forms of footwear.
      • According to the book A Treatise on Surgery by American Authors: For Students and Practitioners of Surgery and Medicine, Volume 1 it takes less than 200lbs applied to the long side of a tibia or fibula, over a 4 sq. inch area, to break either bone. I'll bet your bike weighs more than that.
      • A pair of O'Neal Elements are on sale everywhere for a buck and a quarter - not a high end boot, but MUCH better than street boots, hiking boots or work boots. AND, they're much cheaper than an ER visit!
    2. HELMET: Please wear a 3/4 or full face helmet. Your 1/2 helmet needs to stay on your Harley/Indian/Metric Cruiser.
      • If you're wearing a modular helmet, I'm going ask that you keep the chin bar down. I know of two recent instances where street riders were wearing modular helmets with the chin bar up; they went down and snapped their necks when the chin bar caught on the tarmac. Dirt is even more "grabby" on non-smooth surfaces than asphalt.
      • If you're going to wear a street helmet, please consider wearing sunglasses/goggles as eye protection. Generally speaking, a visor/face shield doesn't work real well offroad.
    3. PROTECTIVE GEAR: You don't need to go drop BIG BUCKS on the latest KLIM gear, but you do need to be protected.
      • Sturdy trousers, MX style gloves and a chest protector or armored jacket are a must. Elbow and knee protection are something to seriously consider.
      • Be sure to dress for conditions - check the weather report before you leave home. The DVNR crew will be there regardless of the weather, so don't wimp out on us!
    4. WATER: You'll be riding a LOT. You need to stay hydrated.
      • Do yourself a favor and get a hydration pack if you don't already own one. That way you can drink on the fly.
        • Stopping, getting off the bike, opening up bags, backpacks, etc and taking off your helmet to drink out of a bottle of water slows down everyone's progress.

About your BIKE:
    You're going to be dropping the bike. Get over it.
    1. TIRES: Knobby tires are highly recommended.
      • Kenda Big Blocks are fairly cheap and work well, even if they don't last too long on pavement.
      • Heidenau K60's are pricey, but do well on the pavement and in the dirt (except for mud; they suck in mud).
      • You can get by on 50/50 tires like the Shinko 705, but it's gonna be tough.
        • Think about it this way: would you wear deck shoes to play half-court one-on-one against Lebron James?
    2. BAGS: Leave the luggage at home!
      • Those aluminum cases are great on the street, but dramatically increase the chances of a lower leg injury during a fall (and you're probably gonna fall).
      • Soft bags are only slightly less hazardous.
        • I got my leg pinned under a Wolfman pannier bag a couple years ago when riding the AZBDR. Had to wait for about 5 minutes (felt like an hour) before my buddies realized I was no longer sweeping the ride. No damage done (except to my pride) but I was trapped until they came back and lifted the bike off me.
    3. SPARES: Rowher isn't outer Mongolia, but it is a bit remote. Please have the following items attached securely to you or your bike:
      • TIRE STUFF
        • An inner tube that fits your front wheel (will work in rear in a pinch)
        • Tire plugs (for you tubeless types)
        • Tire irons and the appropriate wrenches to remove either wheel
        • Some way to inflate your tube/tire
        • A tire pressure gauge
      • TOOLS
        • 6/8/10/12/14/17mm wrenches
        • needle nose vice grips
        • screwdrivers - Philips & flat
        • allen/torx wrenches (depending on your bike)
        • knife (leatherman type tool works great)
      • MISC
        • Zip ties
        • 5-50 cord
        • JB Weld (this stuff is the bomb)
        • tow strap
        • some way to light a fire
        • a flashlight
        • a whistle

Area Map:
    rowher_flats.PNG
    Skittering likes this.
  3. KaptSlo

Oddometer:
    We'll be using the relatively flat area south of Staging Area 3 for the training. We'll have four skill stations. Riders will be grouped by self-identified skill level and bike size. Groups will rotate through the four stations, spending about 1/2 hour per station. This should take about 3 hours. Then lunch around 1230 or so.

After lunch, riders with "Local Knowlege" can lead trail rides for those who are interested. Noobs who wish to continue working on basic skills will have me and a few other DVNR staff available to help them.

NOTE: The dirt road into Rowher is in pretty rough shape. Plan on 30-40 minutes from the end of the pavement to Area 3 if you're pulling a trailer. We parked in Area 1 and rode up to Area 3 - much easier on my trailer.

Please check back here on Saturday for any late breaking news. It's still pretty muddy in spots from the rain a couple weeks ago. If we get some serious el nino action this week, we may need to relocate or reschedule.

IN list:
    Seeker - NX250
    bpenn1980 - XR650L
    Mrs. Socially Stunted - F650GS
    Socially Stunted - DR650
    bykergrrl - F700GS
    ETAV8R - TW200
    Pbro63 - CSC RX3
    migilito - ?

Gadget270 - DRZ400
    DSchmidt7of7 - ?
    CloudRacer - 1190R
    Grease Pants - 990 Adventure

DVNR Support Staff:
    NSFW (Joel)
    KaptSlo (Bill)
    SlugDad (Bill)
    Browneye (Chris)
    SpaFixer (Jim)
    LittleBike (Sue)
    Headstaller (Chu)
    dzrtracin (Shawn)
  4. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ooof. Rowher is pretty far out. Can we do the training somewhere around Apple Valley instead? Isn't that a lot closer for you Bill?
    KaptSlo likes this.
  5. TwoBuck

TwoBuck Boozefighters up!

Oddometer:
    I'm IN!!! :wings I'll be on a new-to-me 2007 R1200GSA that I'm picking up Tuesday.
  6. Seeker15

Seeker15 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow... I have been looking for something like this. I am going to try to make it. I have an Honda nx250 that has only seen the dirt a few times.
  7. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    bill....thanks for getting this on the board! we care for the noobs to become better riders and learn trail ethics.

:clap

the DVNR will even provide FREE LUNCH. just bring water and snacks, you have them with you anyway.

there's plenty of time to prep up your bike. please get yourself proper moto riding gear and protection.

don't let this one get by you.
    BootDragger likes this.
  8. bpenn1980

bpenn1980 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

This is awesome and I'd love to attend. I have less than 1,000 miles of motorcycle experience (maybe 90% offroad). I definitely have a steep learning curve in front of me. I'll be on a xr650L. See you all then!
    BootDragger likes this.
  9. socially stunted

socially stunted Mind astray

Oddometer:
    In plus Mrs. socially stunted, Faye.

I'm probably a little above the requisite nOOb skill level, so feel free to kick me out to make space. I can go riding while there or hang out for moral support. It might be just Faye anyway if I don't make it back from the bay area in time.
  10. socially stunted

Oddometer:
    Joel-

You think Shinko 705s will suffice on the wife's 650GS? I'm thinking yes but you know the plan better than I.
  11. KaptSlo

Oddometer:
    They will make the drills significantly more more challenging. Definitely not recommended for the NooBs Rally unless you're going to stay on graded roads.
    socially stunted and browneye like this.
  12. socially stunted

Oddometer:
    ^^ Copy that. Thanks.
  13. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

looks like we're on a good start.
  14. bykergrrl

bykergrrl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in also. Done a little dirt but could use the confidence builder. Will bring my f700gs
  15. ETAV8R

ETAV8R D.E.R.P'n

Oddometer:
    Might be in for this as well. Haven't signed up for the NOOB rally in DV yet. Not sure I'll be able to get the days off work and it looks like a ton of people. That thread is looooooong!
    Any hints where and what to get as far as protective gear goes? I've got a spidi jacket with shoulder/elbow guards and street boots. I'm a noob rider and have only done dirt once up holy jim trail/canyon in Orange County.
    My ride is a TW200.
  16. Pbro63

Pbro63 csc RX3 250

Oddometer:
    Thank you guys.
    Looking forward to getting dirty.:clap
    Pbro63 Peter csc RX3
    Long time streeter. Zilch off road.
  17. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    If your jacket also has back armor that should work. You'll want armor for your knees, you can buy armored pants or separate pieces, gloves (try Foxx, they're very reasonably priced) and make sure you have off road boots. You can really get hurt wearing street boots.

Cycle Gear stores are all over the place. Revzilla is very good for mail order.
  18. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Oh Beeeeeeellllllll....

Can we change the location?:hide
  19. TwoBuck

TwoBuck Boozefighters up!

Oddometer:
    The location is great for me. :thumb
  20. mr. thumbs

mr. thumbs Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a free class that these folks are doing for everyone and you are asking them to change the location to better suite your needs? I'd just be greatful that they are doing it at all.
    RAZR, ETAV8R and TwoBuck like this.