nOOb very first maiden GS voyage results.

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Archeryman, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Archeryman

Archeryman n00b

Oddometer:
    Took my first ride on my new to me 2017.5 R1200GS, my first BMW. Went approx 100 miles on mountain paved roads here in Arizona. Coming from a 1800 Gold Wing's of course there is a huge comfort level difference, but man do I love the nimble and throttle response. Also the weight difference is apples and oranges. Was getting hard for me to maneuver the Wing in parking lots and on, off pavement. No dirt roads at all on the Wing, for me anyway. Right off the bat I noticed I will need cruiser pegs and risers. So I have searched this forum for risers,OMG!!!! Quick bio here, I'm planning on doing mostly tarmac riding with only forest roads and no single track stuff, for me too old for that anymore. Anyway I'm short armed and when I say risers, I mean more towards me about 2" and not necessarily up, getting me in a more upright riding position. I did move the bars down some, which helped just a tad. I did do a search!!! and noticed most all posts about risers are for tall riders, hence the word "risers ". I understand that, but any solution for us short armed folks? Also I was leaning towards the Rox anti-vib ones? After spending almost two hours searching, reading posts, etc., etc., I was deflated to see so many Rox risers for sale and to be honest overwhelmed with the risers to use. Also the Illium cruiser pegs although pricy looks like the best for so many possible positions? So far like the GS. Any input/advice of course appreciated and a thanks in advance. Regards, stay safe and stay away from those that aren't.
    Speedslip, AJ41 and rider1150gsadv like this.
  2. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the GS world my friend....

I was on my 3rd Goldwing before I switched to GS, even rode the Wing to Denali, Alaska..

First Goldwing when I was 30, and the other Goldwing guys I saw on the road kept calling me "whippersnapper" .. how rude!!
    Speedslip, Embret and Motorius like this.
  3. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    there are risers that while moving the bars higher will also move them back towards you.
  4. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only advise I have is to NOT do what you are planning to do for a while. Don't turn the GS into a Wing. Ride it a few months or somewhere between 5k to 10k miles and THEN re-evaluate what fits and what doesn't fit.

There is a reason why the bars are where they are and the pegs are in that position. It is part of why it feels so light and nimble.

Whenever I get a bike in a different "style" from before, I'll always give it a good amount of time before I make changes to the parts that make the bike what it is. I wouldn't fit high bars and enduro pegs on a Cruiser and I certainly wouldn't fit cruiser ergonomics on an adventure bike. They all have their place, but personally I wouldn't want to turn one into the other.
    fuzzbeard, djfoell, 2Much and 16 others like this.
  6. jclark83

jclark83 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Altrider crash bars make fine highway pegs. When I want to stretch a leg I throw one of my calves on top the cylinder, the Altrider bar keeps my leg from sliding off.
    collin228 and Motorius like this.
  7. toolfooldan

toolfooldan Need a witty/profound phrase to put here...

Oddometer:
    I had Rox anti vibe on my GS for a while. I found that when standing on the pegs, shoulders were back too far and was not comfortable, and it just didn’t feel right. If I were to ride only pavement I would have kept them installed because in sitting position, it was perfect. So I got a set for sale :lol3
  8. VanXR

VanXR nOOb/NooB/noob/NOob/NOOB/ Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with cug, ride it for a few months "as is". If you're still wanting to change, then make the changes. I swore I would change out my 2013 seat after riding it home but after about 1000 miles I really like the stock seat with a sheepskin. The only comfort change I have made is the GSA windscreen. Love my GS
    Deano747 likes this.
  9. Down

Down n00b

Oddometer:
    I'll have to disagree with the guys saying keep it stock and ride it. I tried that. Back hurts when you have short arms and stock risers. I got some 30buck eBay risers that move the bars back 1.25" and up 1.5" and I couldn't be happier with the bike.
    lewisjr1 and bigjohnsd like this.
  10. cug

Oddometer:
    You do, what you gotta do.
    bigjohnsd likes this.
  11. Embret

Embret Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am a current Goldwing DCT Tour owner, as well as owning an R1250GS. The Goldwing is my third. I love that bike and only have but one regret; I waited until I was 50 to buy my first one. I'm an idiot. (I didn't want to be called a "Whippersnapper.")
    A couple of the reasons I picked the GS over the Africa Twin was due to "comfort" and the cruise control. I find the GS to be reasonably comfortable for what it is and having the cruise control is icing on the cake. I put my legs over the jugs and the crash guards keep them in place when I need to move my legs.
    Because I own a Goldwing I use it for long-distance runs, but I wouldn't be afraid to do them on the GS. I guess having the right tool for the job and all. I have an Aspen camper that I could pull with the GS, but the Goldwing seems the better choice.
    As to handling in parking lots, I find the Goldwing to be a piece of cake. That being said, I do hold a brown belt in Motojitsu on both the Goldwing and the GS. In fact, my signature picture is of me testing for brown belt on the GS. (I won't lie, it was stupid-easy on the GS.) I find that practicing skills makes the Goldwing, or any bike really, much easier to handle in parking lot situations. My riding buddy of some 40 years even thinks it makes a huge difference. He taught me most of what I know about riding, but I've gone the step further with skills practice and it seems to matter.
    BTW, I tell all the young (and old) riders I coach, "Go practice your skills. Practice them as often as you can. The best place to practice is an empty church parking lot across from the hospital."
    misterk, m931a2 and slow24 like this.
  12. Coma

Coma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Perfect! You go where you look and your hips take you there.
  13. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^THIS!!!!!^^^^^
    Rockred likes this.
  14. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You'll like the Rox Anti-Vibration risers. You can always take them off if you decide later that you don't like them.
    ausfahrt likes this.
  15. collin228

collin228 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    100% agree with this. Perfect for popping your feet up and holds them in place. This was a bonus I didn’t know I was getting.
  16. m931a2

m931a2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm extra tall so I needed risers from the start.
    2" rox risers straight up to start, then Helibar 2" back 2" up, then both added together for 2" back 4" up!!. worked fine with a small screen, I doubt it would work with a GSA screen or a bigger one but it might with some fiddling, the only thing that hits my GSA screen now is the DoubleTake mirror stems but they are easy to adjust
    Now I have settled on just the 2" rox risers. Just the right amount for me and not too much, not too little.
    Risers are cheap, buy some and then sell them off once you find what you like. The Helibar mount in the link above is only $129 and they can be had in the Flea Market for less if you keep looking. Rox risers are about the same new and less used.

Only real complaint about the Rox or the set up in the picture is it wouldn't hold up well off-road due to all the drops but it sounds like your just doing road stuff so you will be fine.

F8F924EF-3F87-4B4B-96ED-F5ECAE992077.jpeg
  17. cug

Oddometer:
    You better be 7 feet tall with 28" inseam for this construct! :hmmmmm
  18. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^THIS AGAIN^^^^^

Different bike, different riding position. Give it a while to see if you grow into the new position, especially on those FS roads. If you have a stock seat on that machine, then that probably has more to do with feeling uncomfortable than anything else. I got my current GS second hand in a fly-n-ride, and it had those anti-vibe risers. I rode it home 5000 miles and hated those risers every second, couldn't stand the wishy-washy feel of the handlebars not feeling connected to the bike.
  19. cmikewil

cmikewil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like you Archeryman, I ask the same question of the Inmates here when I bought my GS back in 17. My shoulders ached after riding for more than an hour or so. Wisely, I listed to those who said, “just ride it for a few hundred miles...” before making expensive purchases. One can experiment a good bit just rotating the bars(as you’ve done) to help tailor the fit. In the end, I did buy a set of risers that moved the handlebar back toward me. I’m 5’9” and had no need for additional height/rise, but rather benefited from moving the bar a bit closer to my torso. I chose a set from Wunderlich. While not the cheapest solution, they have done the job admirably. Also important to me was that there was no need to reroute/replace cables; the model of riser chosen didn’t shift the bars far enough to require this.

FYI...I’m primarily asphalt/forestry roads like yourself. The GS replaced an RT for me. While I have taken the bike off the main path & hope to do it occasionally in the future, I realistically believe it will be less than 10% of the time. I will say (after having taken BMW’s off road class a couple of years ago) that if I were standing on the pegs for longer periods, I probably would have tried the ROX Risers or some other model that would allow adjustment of the bar placement on the fly. That BMW class sure taught me the benefit of having the bars property positioned when you are riding off road/standing on the pegs.

Enjoy the GS. These are terrific bikes & this is a terrific forum.
  20. DIRTLER

DIRTLER Long timer

Oddometer:

5' 2'' rider...

risers.jpg
    third eye and cug like this.