Noobs - Unite in Southern California Mountains!

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Little Bike, Apr 10, 2013.

?

When are you available to ride?

1. Saturdays

2. Sundays

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think Borrego is going to have to wait until after lab2v. Just made reservations for everything and now I have no money...:lol3

Rode Bautista Canyon, High Point Trail and Palomar Divide yesterday, very pretty. Then I came right home and pulled out the credit to finally buy a gps. Got a little directionally challenged up off Tripp Flats. Good noob riding areas.
  2. jeepdude65

jeepdude65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No problem. I'm headed out to Hodge Road this weekend and then Ocotillo Wells for Thanksgiving weekend so I'll have plenty of dirt time this month.
  3. Antares600rr

Antares600rr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you guys go off of state park maps when choosing a trail? Or is there a source describing the trails?

Sent from my brake caliper
  4. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    My first source is Benchmark map books. Barnes & Noble has 'em, or the web. I've got the Benchmark loaded on my iPad also, they have a downloadable version. Book is just much more fun.

BLM maps and the Nat Geo stuff is good, especially for Death Valley.
  5. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    It can be a little hard. I look on the Internet, I have a detailed ca road map book ( which isn't that good...), other people, there are some 4x4 in ca books that are supposed to be good. Forest service websites.

For trail descriptions the Internet can be a good source. If you go to Borrego go to the visitors center and they have a road condition board and there are several good maps there.

And the post above, those are good maps
  6. Antares600rr

Antares600rr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I work in the Borrego Springs/Ocotillo Wells area, but I've never taken a bike on any of those trails. I'm usually in a lifted 4x4 Tahoe with a big green stripe on the side ;)

I'll check out that Benchmark book, thanks guys!

Sent from my brake caliper
  7. RandyM

RandyM Less talk, More ride

Oddometer:
    "San Diego Backcountry" map by Tom Harrison Maps covers the Anza-Borrego region pretty good. Also "Anza-Borrego Desert Region" map by Wilderness Press is very good.
  8. Rojeck

Rojeck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got the weekend free and wondering if there is a dirt ride this weekend. I've riding for a while but still a noob. I can do a big bike or a small bike, just want to ride.

rojeck
  9. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    I'm going riding this weekend - probably up to Santiago Peak from the top of Ortega Highway.
  10. spdnjoe

spdnjoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Saturday or Sunday ?
  11. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    how about Sunday?
  12. spdnjoe

spdnjoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll meet you at the peak around 10:00 ? Maybe ride to Beeks Place ? I haven't been there in over 5 years. I'll be on an XR650R.
  13. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    I think that would work, let me ponder, the last time I rode the north main divide road to Santiago Peak I found it a little difficult. I've improved a bit since then, but I haven't ridden that route again since. I just don't want to start out, take a dirt nap, bend up something on the bike or get a flat and leave you hanging on top of the peak.
  14. Rojeck

Rojeck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Still waiting on parts for the bike. Looks like I will not make it this weekend. Will keep an eye on this thread for future rides.
  15. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    I'm comfortable meeting people at a specific time on pavement, but I'm never sure how long dirt will take me....Do you mind meeting at Hell's Kitchen on Ortega Highway?
  16. spdnjoe

spdnjoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Someone just mentioned that the gate is closed at my end. I'm going to have to wait and see.
  17. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    okey dokey
  18. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Sorry I havent posted anything about a peak ride Sunday. Had a face plant on the dirt bike Saurday and I didn't remember until yester day that we had talked about riding Sunday and I didn't feel good enough to type up anything. :muutt
  19. bhbenson

bhbenson n00b

Oddometer:
    I am headed to Southern California, from New York, for a month of riding. I will be there from Jan 22 until I run out of cash for gas. Have some stuff scheduled but I am looking to do some overnights in Joshua Tree, easy check out the sights kinda ride. And some day rides. I am sure I will meet some people down there. I am not the best rider but, kinda new but not the worst. I am riding a street legal ktm 250 xcfw. Kinda laid back for a New Yorker and am in no rush or looking to go hard. Just want some riding away from traffic and people.
  20. KaptSlo

KaptSlo In Idaho, never admit you moved from California. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Post up on CaliforniaAdventureRider.com