Noobs - Unite in Southern California Mountains!

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Little Bike, Apr 10, 2013.

?

When are you available to ride?

1. Saturdays

2. Sundays

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Beaumont Paco

Beaumont Paco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wanted to go riding tomorrow morning.... the wife just reminded me she needs to go shopping tomorrow I can do a evening ride past 4:00 pm.
  2. hbmarcus

hbmarcus Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A little TMI, stubbed your toe would be a little more acceptable. Just passing on a little abuse my friends throw at me now and then. I'm looking forward to joining up with these CJ'S runs but Sunday afternoon doesn't work for me this week. This morning's trip had me hopeful but didn't get the call from 3 Bros. until 2:30pm that my new TKC80's were mounted and ready to go. Maybe next weekend.
    Beaumont Paco likes this.
  3. mac26r

mac26r n00b

Oddometer:
    Son and I went exploring yesterday morning for about 4 hours. If we were on a scavenger hunt for no trespassing/no motor vehicle signs then we were batting 1000! Still, any time on the bike is a good time. Paco, after 4 today wont work for me so hopefully next weekend. DS, That ride looked cool, lookin forward to riding withn you guys sometime.
  4. Dan-DS

Dan-DS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Noobs...

Anyone interested in a mellow ride on this Saturday morning (Oct. 22) at Cleveland National Forest? It'll be a 50/50 paved/dirt ride...finish up with lunch.

From Orange...southbound on E. Santiago Canyon Rd. (paved) --> Live Oak Canyon Rd. (paved) --> Trabuco Creek/Canyon Rd (paved/dirt) out-n-back. Then, grab some lunch and head home.

Disclaimer: I've never ridden on Trabuco Creek/Canyon Rd. but others on the CNF thread have mentioned that it's ideal for novice folks. I'm willing to explore and check it out.

Dan
  5. DSchmidt7of7

DSchmidt7of7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Trabuco Creek road is definitely noob friendly. You'll see that it is a flat and wide gravel road with some potholes and typical weekend traffic. You might also want to check out Silverado Canyon/Maple Springs Road while you're out that way. Maple Springs is a bit more of a challenge but has some elevation gain and awesome views.

I'd like to join you but I'm hoping to head to the San Bernardino Mtn's Saturday afternoon and/or Sunday. You're welcome to join me if you like.

Ride Safe...
  6. Dan-DS

Dan-DS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the insight on Trabuco Creek. As for Maple Springs...I agree with you - another great route for novices. I've done Maple Springs a couple of times and enjoy it.

For anyone that is interested in a novice ride on Trabuco Creek this Saturday morning, post up here. We can meet at CJ Coffee House at 8:30am. I'll be the guy in hi-viz gear and helment with Honda CRF250L.

CJ Coffee House
    8512 E Chapman Ave.
    Orange, CA 92869
    https://goo.gl/maps/11FqwG3SwcE2

From CJ, we can ride down E. Santiago Canyon Rd. (paved) --> Live Oak Canyon Rd. (paved) --> Trabuco Creek/Canyon Rd (paved/dirt) out-n-back. If there's open flat dirt areas, I'll probably mess around in that area practicing turns etc.

Dan
  7. Dan-DS

Dan-DS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No takers yesterday, so I did the ride solo and took a few risky routes that I shouldn't have. I definitely had a several "pucker" moments that experienced riders would laugh at. But hey, I'm learning and came out unscathed, thankfully.

I explored Trabuco Creek and then, hopped over to Menifee/Wildomar "The Farm" area. Both are *really* great spots for novice riders...particularly "The Farm". I ended up riding around all day and got home around 5pm with heaps of saddle soreness. Here's a synopsis of the ride for those that may be interested in riding these spots.

Trabuco Creek Rd:
    - Just off of Trabuco Canyon Rd.
    - Out-n-back type of trail
    - Easy and wide gravel road ending at Holy Jim trailhead
    - Easy to moderate difficulty trail spurs off of main trail
    - Watch for vehicle traffic, mtn bikers, hikers etc.
    - Map: https://goo.gl/maps/mhTutG4dFrs

Main Entrance:
    [​IMG]

Wide gravel road with some ripples here and there.
    [​IMG]

Small uphill "skills" area about halfway into Trabuco Creek:
    Map: https://goo.gl/maps/dSqjsRzhPTF2
    It's much steeper than the photo would lead you to believe. And, it doesn't show the manhole sized pot holes. This was where I had a couple of "moments". Also, don't take the other Trabuco Creek Rd uphill (in photo below, it's the one leading uphill toward the left). I checked it out by foot and it looked pretty gnarly. Stay on the main Trabuco Creek Rd.
    [​IMG]

Just on the opposite side of this hilly skills area (marked by pin below) is a bunch of narrow trail spurs - some smooth and others rocky. The great part about these little spurs is that there's no elevation - it's flat. There's nothing worse than trying to improve your skills on a trail that's steep - it's one more problem to deal with. These spurs are great b/c it's flat and you can concentrate on your clutchwork, balance, etc. In the photo below, you can see these spurs below the main Trabuco Creek Rd. and they all pretty much run along the main road so, pretty much impossible to get lost. I could seriously spend the entire day in this area and practice/build my technical riding skills.
    [​IMG]

After tooling around the spurs and getting tired, I rode further in until I got to Holy Jim trailhead. I took a little break in the shade, downed some water and then headed back out.
    [​IMG]

Next, I had seen a video about "The Farm" riding area that sits between Wildomar and Menifee. So, I took the following route from Trabuco Canyon Rd.:
    - Southbound Antonio Parkway and left on Ortega Hwy
    - Ortega Hwy and right turn on Grand southbound
    - Grand to Corydon Rd to Bundy Canyon Rd. eastbound
    - Bundy Canyon Rd. east and right turn onto Sunset Ave southbound. (dirt road)
    - Sunset Rd. leads you right into the open space
    - Map: https://goo.gl/maps/5XCCUX3GNZq

Wow - take a look at this big open space. The main trails extend further out beyond the photo below. I stayed within the main open space and kept my distance from the homes...keepin' it quiet.

[​IMG]

Now, there wasn't any "posted" or private property signs or fencing etc. to been seen anywhere. When I got there, there were others already riding. I was able to talk with them. They had been riding at this area for years and have never gotten hassled. I hope this area stays "open" but as development expands, this will eventually go away. If anyone else has additional insight on "The Farm", please do share.

Here are some photos of the area...wide open with trails spurring off. This area is definitely "big bike" novice friendly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope this information is helpful for those looking to explore - one noobie trail at a time. It was a fun day and I'm definitely going to do this ride again. If anyone else wants to join, post up here on this thread and maybe we can get a group together.

Dan
    Dorzok and sh1bby69 like this.
  8. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I swaped out my wheels Friday night in anticipation of going but my GF had other plans :bash. I would like to get a short ride in before Pahrump so I may be in for something similar for next weekend.
  9. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the write-up. Those looked like great places for noob riding. I know all about solo riding and pucker factor, but I'm still around largely due to the fact that my bikes are much more capable than I am.
    That farm area looks awesome, unfortunately the map makes it look like it's got future tract home infestation written all over it...
  10. mac26r

mac26r n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Paco, let me know when you have a chance to show me some places to ride near beaumont. I'm getting tired of hitting dead ends. I'm not really but it would be nice to find a way into all these mountains around here!
  11. Dan-DS

Dan-DS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As I won't be partaking in any Black Friday weekend shopping nonsense...anyone interested in a noobie ride this weekend? I'm thinking Maple Springs, Trabuco Creek or "The Farm" out in Menifee as I posted above.

Dan
  12. Ken Hooligan

Ken Hooligan aka Hooligan LT

Oddometer:
    I know it's a little more of a haul for you, but we should go check out Rowher