Nordkapp 2018, or When a dream becomes reality.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by sibarra, Aug 8, 2018.

1. sibarra

sibarra gregal

Oddometer:
    Hi. Since the end of the 70s, when I read and reread the chronicles of travel in "Solomoto" and "Motociclismo" magazines, I had a dream, going to the North Cape on a motorcycle.

The daughters are already older, we can leave them alone, and one is getting into an age where you can not leave many things later, although during the trip we have seen people much older than us.

Last year I changed my beloved XT 600E (from 1997) for my also now beloved Honda CB500X, because the XT already had many years for both km loaded to the brim. Then I read around here that the CB500X was a little bike for that adventure (and I had bought it just for that). But I also saw that the friend Tantarante was going to make the same trip in 2017.

The travel schedule was made with google maps, taking into account the hours of each stage, not the km. In some places we have been two days, to rest, to do conventional tourism, or in North Cape in case of bad weather, to have another opportunity the day after seeing it clear. Consulting the friend Tantarante told me that they had reservations made, but only until North Cape, and then they were improvising. We made the reservations until Paris, already in the descent. It was a risk to schedule such a long trip, because if you did not reach a place, everything was untidy, but it gave you the peace of mind that you had somewhere to rest, without the burden of searching every day, and the advantage that in January, jjjjjj, you had to choose Those two days in some places could also be used as a wild card, in case we did not arrive on time for a reservation, but that has not been the case.

Extras to the motorcycle:

Top case Shad 40
    Side cases Shad 36
    Lidl tank bag
    Tank Guard Givi
    Gear indicator
    Tire pressure indicator
    USB charger
    Phone support
    Sprocket 16 teeth

The stages have been the following:

1.- July 7. Elche - Narbonne F
    2.- July 8. Narbonne F - Basel CH
    3.- July 9. Basel CH - Prague CZ (2 nights)
    4.- July 11. Prague CZ - Warsaw PL
    5.- July 12. Warsaw PL - Kaunas LT
    6.- July 13. Kaunas LT - Riga LV
    7.- July 14. Riga LV - Tallinn EST
    8.- July 15. Tallin EST - Heinola FIN
    9.- July 16. Heinola FIN - Oulu FIN
    10.- July 17. Oulu FIN - Inari FIN
    11.- July 18. Inari FIN - Nordkapp N (Skarsvag, 2 nights)
    12.- July 20. Nordkapp N - Birtavarre N
    13.- July 21. Birtavarre N - Lofoten Islands N (Svolvaer, 2 nights)
    14.- July 23. Lofoten Islands N - Storjord N
    15.- July 24. Storjord N - Grong N
    16.- July 25. Grong N - Trondheim N
    17.- July 26. Trondheim N - Andalsnes (Trollstigen) N
    18.- July 27. Andalsnes (Trollstigen) N - Geilo N
    19.- July 28. Geilo N - Preikestolen N (2 nights)
    20.- July 30. Preikestolen N - Bronderslev DK
    21.- July 31. Bronderslev DK - Bremen D
    22.- August 1. Bremen D - Amsterdam NL
    23.- August 2. Amsterdam NL - Bruges B
    24.- August 3. Bruges B - Paris F (2 nights)
    25.- August 5. Paris F - Narbonne F
    26.- August 6. Narbonne F - Elche

kneeslider and Suncoaster like this.
  2. ThorH

ThorH AdvThor.com

Oddometer:
    In retrospect, are you happy with the route you chose?
  3. sibarra

sibarra gregal

Oddometer:
    Of course. because it says? It would have been different if we had been running a tent, but the bike is small and already very loaded. I'm sure we'll have left beautiful places without seeing, but we wanted to visit Prague. and also the Baltic countries. routes within Norway were planned to pass through the Lofoten Islands, the Atlantic road, the Trollstigen road and the Preikestolen. We could have been traveling Norwegian for months. It is as big as it is beautiful, but we did not have more time. Between Geilo and the Preikestolen, google maps sent us on a road with a spiral tunnel, not a famous tunnel, which I can not find now. Do not know what it is?
  4. ThorH

ThorH AdvThor.com

Oddometer:
    That would probably be Måbøtunellen, coming down from Hardangervidda on RV 7, just west of Vøringsfossen. (Norway's highwst waterfall, I hope you stopped. :))
  5. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer:
    I have to say, been there done that & very serious of you. Enjoy the ride. Travel safe. Oh don't forget to eat some Reindeer!
  6. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    You’re going to love Norway, I just left two days ago and already want to go back.

If you can work it in your schedule, I highly recommend taking the 17 from Bodo to Trondheim.